Rookie hunting guide

Hey guys, first year guiding. Ill be guiding trophy mule deer hunts in eastern MT during the rut on a private lease and im anxious about the unknown. Most of all i want my hunters to be successful and have a good time. Any advice, things to note, dos and donts? Ive looked on the forums and cant really find good personal experiences or stories. Let me know thanks

Ucsdryder

WKR
For the right guy sounds like a good time! I imagine you’d need heaps of patience. I can only imagine putting someone on a monster and having them do something stupid and messing it up. Then trying to be positive and not showing them your annoyance! Hell, I have a hard time doing that with my girlfriend, let alone some stranger.

Reactions: RB1

Laramie

WKR
I guided for a lot of years on varying styles of hunts. Don't over think it.

1- work hard
2- be nice
3- listen to your hunters
4- maintain control of the hunt at all times
5- tell the truth
6- above all, put safety of you and your client first

Know that you will guide a vast range of personalities. Some people will be amazing to spend a week with. Others will be less than desirable. Treat them all with respect and know that your job is to provide them all with a quality experience.

Last edited:
Treat folks how you’d like to be treated and work harder than expected. Remember that you are a representative of your outfitter as well. Make a positive impression.

BFR

WKR

1- work hard
2- be nice
5- tell the truth
6- above all, put safety of your and your client first

Know that you will guide a vast range of personalities. Some people will be amazing to spend a week with. Others will be less than desirable. Treat them all with respect and know that your job is to provide them all with a quality experience.

This, while I’ve never been on a guided hunt or been a guide this is what I would expect. I would only add patience to the list, probably more for your own sanity.

archp625

WKR
I have never gone on a guide hunting trip but I have gone on a few fishing trips. Some of those we caught a ton of fish and some we did not catch many. I will say this the trips where the guide acted like we were friends and didn't rush to get off the water were the best. So my advice for you is figure out your client(s) and be their friend the whole time. Never act like you cant wait for them to leave to get the next set of clients in. If you do this the animals will come.

Before the hunting starts, ask them what kind of trophy they are looking for. If their expectations are unrealistic, I would help them reset......(in this case since you are new to the area, I'm not sure how much info/trail cam pics, etc. you will have).

Before the hunting starts, ask your client how far they are capable of shooting. You don't want to get within 500 yards of a shooter thinking it's game on, and then have the client tell you they don't feel comfortable shooting past 300.

Be sure not to get too far ahead of them when hiking. Stop if you do, and when they catch up to you, let them rest for a couple of minutes, even though you were resting while waiting on them to catch up.

Something to keep in mind....your client will remember this hunt, and their experience with you, for the rest of their lives, for better or for worse. Getting the animal at the end is great, but make sure everyone (including you) is having fun during the whole process. And when I say having fun I'm not talking about entertaining anyone, I'm talking about attitude.

I'm sure you will do an exceptional job. Coming here and asking this question shows your humility and thoughtfulness.

Good hunting!!

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
I'm not a guide but I notice a lot of things and I think what is common is that too many hunters are ill prepared...physically and mentally. Be prepared for a potentially overweight guy that can't hike, a guy that just got his rifle and can't shoot, a guy that just got boots and can't walk or a guy that gives up after 2 days.

It's not a dig on those types of guys nor do I mean to be negative. It's just an observation.

On the plus side, you will very likely meet some very cool people and get to hear their stories. That would be probably the coolest thing about being a guide.

There are two types of people in this world; people you want to drink with and people that make you want to drink.

WCB

WKR
I guided elk, deer, and goats in MT. Good advice above.

1. Get a safety briefing thought up for your clients...if your outfitter does that you can have a more strict set of rules and you can be flexible. When clients show up obviously offer to help them unload and have a quick run down of what's next. i.e. "when you guys settle in we can confirm zero on your rifles and go over some basic info for your hunt..." then give them time to do their thing. Don't worry as much about how the client shoots as you do how they handle themselves and their rifle. If I could tell a guy was squared away safety wise I was more lenient on when they could chamber a round or if I would walk directly in front of them or right next to them.

2. Do not show anything but encouragement during the hunt. I had guys with health issues, guys that were horrible shots, and general first time hunters and we always go it done. You are going to be part psychiatrist/sounding board for some guys...listen and encourage. If you can read people you will know the ones you can give a swift kick in the ass to if they need it.

3. If the hunt is going rough animal wise or client wise as far as getting shot opportunities...do not discuss it with the client. Figure options out with your boss and the other guides if there are some. Always have a plan. Also be ready for clients to ask "whats the plan" when you don't have one.

4. When actually hunting make sure the client knows what to do. Tell them to keep close when told...obviously let them glass and find animals but once the animal they want is found...you run the binos and range finder, they run the gun. Give clear instructions on stalks. Slow down and hunt at the hunters pace but also don't be afraid when you have to tell the client "we need to hurry to that bush or that rock to get a shot...when we get there get ready for a shot Ill find the animal and range it." That way you don't look over at a client with his binos stuck to his face with a buck broadside at 200 yards.

5. Have fun, be honest, and remember it is not your hunt it is theirs.

P.S. have an extra set of binos, bring extra snacks, water, sunglass, tp etc. the client will forget something and when you toss them a back up that they need it goes along ways.

KHNC

WKR

1- work hard
2- be nice
5- tell the truth
6- above all, put safety of you and your client first

#5 will get you far. Thats the main complete many hunters have with guides. Most all guides i have hunted with have been great. Outfitters not so much. Always be honest with your hunters, good or bad.

Soupie

FNG
I think trying to get to know your client's expectations BEFORE the hunt will be huge. Expectations can be around physical demand aspects, outcomes, experience, etc. A survey could work or a bit of a phone "interview".

I spent a few years guiding deer and antelope hunters for a friend that was the outfitter. His number one rule regarding alcohol consumption was: If a hunter takes a drink of alcohol while we were out hunting that hunter was done hunting for the day, no questions asked! Save the drinking for the evening AFTER you are done hunting for the day. The hunters were all informed of that rule when they got to camp.

Lots of other good advice already given.

ClearCreek

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Don't use the client as your alarm clock.
Don't ask the client to hold a spot light for you to shoot a mule deer at night.
Don't blow smoke up a client's a-- trying to get a bigger tip - they see right through it.

I have experienced all of the above from "guides"

Have fun with it. Be a cheerleader always encouraging others. Be honest. Understand there are just some folks that will never be happy - don't take it personal.

woodson

FNG
I am a self guided big-game and bird hunter, but I have done a ton of guided trout fishing trips, and the best guides teach without being intrusive. They don't say, "the way you should do X is by doing Z". They ask questions in anticipation of common scenarios as a way to feel out the client's level of skill or knowledge without being demeaning.

Example: When I first started fly fishing 15 years ago, a great guide in West Yellowstone, Montana asked my wife and I before we started nymphing, "How do you like to set up your double nymph rig?". I had no idea what he was talking about, so I just said, "I have no experience, why don't you show us". He had a great rapport with us the rest of the day.

Squincher

WKR
Find animals.

I had a last minute substitute guide on a moose in Alberta a few years ago who was about the biggest jerk I've met. Profane, confrontational, and very insulting towards Americans. But I was looking for a moose not a new best friend, and we found a good one. He worked hard from the time I rolled in until we got to the processors, but I wanted to punch him in the mouth from the time I rolled in until we got to the processors. I tipped him 15% and gave him about 50 pounds of meat.

Erict

WKR
Besides the good advice above - learn how to take good pictures of your clients in the field and with their harvests, or during a break, or the scenery. The client will enjoy them after and you can probably use them to promote your place. I typically take my own pictures with my phone and mini-tripod but my guide last year did an outstanding job of positioning me and my buck with the light at the right angle. Those pictures will last forever and I really appreciated that tiny "extra effort" he made.