Rookie Sheep Hunter Question: Which Puffy Option

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I leave for the south side of the Wrangells next weekend. I'd like to ask from some advice from the experienced Alaska hands. Which puffy jacket/pants setup would you take for an early season sheep hunt in that or a similar area. Hunting elevation will be 5500 or so. Over the years I've accumulated everything from a Lost Park Parka/ Military Surplus (Patagonia micropuff) pants-39 oz to Kuiu SD pro set 31 oz to Kuiu Ultra 21 oz.
I don't mind packing a bit more weight if needed, but if the heavier options are overkill I'd rather lighten my pack. Thanks for any input.

fatbacks

WKR
Brooks range early season I bring Lost Park. Alaska Range and Wrangells I’ve always brought Arc Teryx Atom LT puffy hoody.

I am always colder than I think for sheep openers. I’ll leave Fairbanks in flip flops and shorts around August 10th and then that evening I’ll be sitting on a ridge in the Alaska range glassing freezing my ass off wearing everything I have. That mountain breeze cuts right through you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I have hunted the Wrangells the last couple sheep season and used the Kuiu SD Pro. It can get frosty for sure.

IPndTo3h.jpg

CO2130

WKR
LPP jacket and Super Down pants is what I’d do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyG

WKR
August hunts in the Wrangells my insulation on top is the Kelvin Lite Hoody combined with the Heavyweight Hoody. Just base layers and mtn pants on the bottom.

For September hunts I add the Kelvin Down Hoody and Kelvin Puffy Pants.

OP
highstepper

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all for the sage advice. Considering I'm a southerner that runs cold, I'm going to go with the SD pro- packs smaller and fits better under my raingear than the LPP.