Ross and Adam: First CO Elk Hunt Planning Thread

chrislane

FNG
Even if you never laid eyes on an elk I'm glad you had a great trip. This goober is still planning a trip.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get down on yourselves. Elk are smart animals that live in damn tough country! If it makes you feel any better, this was my 6th consecutive year hunting elk and the first year I actually saw elk during the hunting season. Obviously I'm not doing something right, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone and that's the norm for me!

AdamW

WKR
Here are some pics from the trip in random order!

qq4xo0.jpg

2aeqihi.jpg

dp7ris.jpg

334spip.jpg

2ql4ug3.jpg

2rgezrb.jpg

nchvr9.jpg

2ia33fk.jpg

AdamW

WKR
Is that a can on Ross' rifle or just some sort of protective cover?

Looks like a can doesn't it? It's a cover he made. Muzzle cover and a cover that goes over the action/scope. You've probably seen them for precision rifles etc.

One other comment - any pictures where we aren't wearing both an orange hat and vest are scouting or pack in pics before the actual season started.

njdoxie

WKR
Elk hunting is tough, not trying to depress you, but I didn't get an elk until my 6th hunt when an experienced elk hunter took me, I got an elk that time and the next three times with him. Since then I've been going by myself and have a shot opportunity every year....but man those first years were rough, I was ready to cry uncle. This year I got a raghorn 6x6 in 2nd rifle. I take the 1st legal bull I see, I goto the same spot and try to learn more about it every year. I'm strictly spot and stalk, I find a good park and sit it, works for me. I found a park about 5 years ago that I've seen multiple bulls on every year so I just basically hunt that one park, it's a gold mine. Since having back surgery I have me and my gear dropped off via horseback and hunt from a base camp, I get cell service, so I call for the horses if I get an elk.

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
Elk hunting is tough, not trying to depress you, but I didn't get an elk until my 6th hunt when an experienced elk hunter took me, I got an elk that time and the next three times with him. Since then I've been going by myself and have a shot opportunity every year....but man those first years were rough, I was ready to cry uncle. This year I got a raghorn 6x6 in 2nd rifle. I take the 1st legal bull I see, I goto the same spot and try to learn more about it every year.

Not depressing at all, it's part of it. My uncle has been 4 or 6 times, a mix of archery and rifle (various seasons) and has never killed an elk. One thing that was interesting was in the year or so that Ross and I were planning our trip, we each spoke with several people we knew who had elk hunted. Some of them had been several times and never been successful and some of them seemed to have a system for moderate success every few years. Since all the people I talked to/knew were from MO, there was a lot of "I'd just find a spot and sit" like most people deer hunt here. Also got a fair amount of "You don't want to backpack in, it's a bunch of work and it is nice to come back to camp and have a good meal (read "drink a 6 pack"). Whatever floats your boat I guess.

We'll see what next year brings. Antelope are on my brain at the moment but that's just a different kind of frustration and humbling I'm sure. :D

Yeah, while I feel like I am experienced enough that I improve my chances by being strategic, I often wonder if I wouldn't be better off picking a spot where I know they like to hang out and sitting there every day for 10 days rather than chasing the better spot. Also, I often find that people, myself included at times, pick spots for seeing something (big meadows, more open country) rather than a spot for shooting something (thicker high traffic areas). Especially when it's hot they are going to spend most of their day in the north facing thick stuff.

KurtR

WKR
I just got back from my first elk hunt in Idaho and pretty much mirrors your guys experience. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Great thread. Keep at it, you'll find them. I moved to CO from a small town in mid MO in the late 90's, been here ever since. When I started hunting elk here I did basically all I knew how to do which was set up on the edge of a clearing sometimes only a couple hundred yards from a road and watch it sun up to sun down. Just like we did for white tail deer on the family farm growing up. But you will learn something every time you hunt elk I think. The experience builds upon itself year after year and if you continue to work at it the success will come to you as it has to me and so many others.

I went on an 8 day black powder hunt this fall and got shut out too. I never saw fur. That just happens sometimes.