Ross compound bow cam lean?

How do you fix a ross target competition compound bow with the top cam leaning left?. There are no cable yokes on it.

OP
T
Shims I assume.

I'm not familiar with them. Look to see if it has multiple shims currently or they are solid on each side.

I think there are shims, I'm not sure. I've heard bent axle, bearings are gone in the cam, or bent cam itself.

I don't think there are shims.

I haven't seen a bow that doesn't have shims either side or the cams. Might not be multiples. Something needs to be there to keep the cam off the limb. Might be able to swap them side to side, otherwise look for replacements that you can use that will add up to what the total of both sides are.

So if say you have 1/4" and 1/4" you have a 1/2" of shims in total. So you will want something like 2 -1/8" shims. Put one with a 1/4 to make 3/8" and an 1/8 on the otherside. Those are big numbers to make it simple. Generally you are talking .015, .025, .035, etc. I'd get hold of some micrometers.

If you are concerned about bearings in it don't shoot it. Pressing it and pulling the axle will tell you what you need to know, it will show bent axle or loose bearings in the cam, if that is going on.

I can't tell how much cam lean it has to be certain. Lay a straight edge on the cam towards the nocking point. It's not uncommon to have some lean. That does look excessive tho.

OP
T
image.jpg

So from where the arrow lays against the cam to the loop is about 1/2 an inch measuring from loop to the same side as where the arrow follows the cam

OP
T
I cannot move my rest either way far enough when bare shaft tuning. It kicks the the arrow nock far right

dkime

WKR
8c920cf2defe6ec6db8cef72b964926b.jpg

Move this shim from the right side to the left side, your bows gonna have some torque hence the bent cable rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Ok I will have to find someone with a press. What caused this to lean so bad. The bottom one is straight, I never dry fired or dropped it.

dkime

WKR
All bows have cam lean, your bow will be even worse at full draw than it is at brace. With the exception of bows with shoot through cable systems, the cables are routed to the RH side for a RH shooter, thus causing the cam to have to lean a little over to the right. At full draw those cables are holding a couple hundred pounds of stored energy. Honestly, don't worry about the lean it doesnt mean anything. Worry about the tune and let the chips fall where they may.

OP
T
I'm a right handed shooter and when I hold the bow and look at the top the top cam it's leaning to the left instead of right. I cannot get it to bare shaft tune no matter the rest adjustments

dkime

WKR
I'm a right handed shooter and when I hold the bow and look at the top the top cam it's leaning to the left instead of right. I cannot get it to bare shaft tune no matter the rest adjustments

Set the rest at center shot, stop touching the rest. Move the shim. It should change your shot reaction. This is probably a DL and torque issue more so than anything else.

OP
T
Set the rest at center shot, stop touching the rest. Move the shim. It should change your shot reaction. This is probably a DL and torque issue more so than anything else.

So just move the top cam shims, and do not touch the bottom cam at all right?

OP
T
Thanks for everyone's input, the axle was perfect as were the limbs. It just needed shimmed. There is still some lean but that's because of the cable rod.