Roy Roth

Terrapin

WKR
I just saw a post on Facebook that Roy Roth died in a fall hunting goats. I really don't much more than that. Regardless of your views on his hunting buddy, Cam Haynes, I think we should all pause and tip a glass to a guy who by all reports was a hell of a hunter and died out there doing what we all live to do. RIP

mt100gr.

WKR
Very unfortunate. As said above, be careful out there. The risks we take when we willingly and readily leave the comforts and relative safety of our everyday lives are very real. No such thing as a routine hunting trip.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have felt sick ever since hearing the news this morning. Only met Roy and his wife once about 6 weeks ago, but his kindness and passion for bow hunting AK was obvious in just that short meeting. That he would meet such a terrible fate, doing what he loved (archery hunting dall sheep) and in an area so near his (and our) home is almost too much to take. Anyone who has had hunted sheep, goats or other animals in the high country knows sometimes one mis-Step or momentary miscalculation is sometimes all it takes.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, kids, family and friends.

Oh no. I don't know him but his hunting career was legendary. He was "gritty" to the core. Prayers for his wife and family.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want to be disrespectful speaking of a guy I never met, but I wanted to say how much I looked up to Roy Roth. Not only was Roy a very successful bow hunter, his toughness was expressed by everyone that knew him. One thing that has always stuck with me is that Roy credited his success to always staying positive and his faith in the Lord. Cam strives for greatness by training to be better physically and mentally. Roy strove for greatness by being naturally tough beyond measure and giving all the glory to Christ. Cam has written a few article over the years about Roy, if you have not read those I encourage you to. From what I can see, Roy lived a life worth admiring.
http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articles/feature_articles_bw_wannabe_0910/

KHNC

WKR
First time I ever heard of Roy Roth. Seemed like one heck of a hunter! And , most of all, a really good person. The article from Cam really explained a lot about him. A guy I would have liked to have met. RIP

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
First time I ever heard of Roy Roth.

Me too. For a second I thought this was an old thread because there have been two others that I know of that have died from falls hunting goats in the last couple years. I'm sure he was no amateur, so just re-enforces what a dangerous sport this is. Prayers going out to his family.

weaver

WKR
So sad to hear about this. I never met the man but he was by all accounts a great hunter and even better person.
Would have loved to hunt bears with him someday.

What a loss. First heard of Roy reading Backcountry Bowhunting and sounded like a passionate guy. Goes to show things can go south at anytime. Be safe out there. Prayers for his family and friends.