RS members who just buy and sell

fwafwow

WKR
Not knocking this at all, but anyone have an idea how many people who are on RS just to trade, buy and sell? I had a communication with a member about a possible deal, and I was going to offer a real sweetheart deal, but decided first to check the member's activity. Looks like this member joined, lurked for a month or two, then posted 10x on a single day and posted the first item for sale the next day, and the only activity since then has been on the classifieds. Again, that's within the rules, the history is transparent, and all prior feedback has been positive. But it did make me pause - should I give the deal I was considering to this member? On the one hand he or she isn't contributing the same way that others are, but then again, being a willing buyer and seller adds value to RS, and maybe he or she is in a pickle with the current economic situation and that's a main source of income?

Clearly have some extra time on my hands today.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I encountered my first person posting in classifieds with 1 post. Meaning they paid the fee to buy and sell and have never made a post.

I got free time today too, though I should be doing some design and programming on my titanium stuff lol. My kids behind me destroying my office, at least shes having fun.

JRMiller

WKR
I just finished a deal that fell through with a “junior member” that, shame on me for not checking, had all of 28 posts and 27 were all WTS.
It was a train wreck. Stated item was free of holes, rips, stains, and it had exactly that, holes, rips, and stains. When i called him out he got nasty right away, bad sign. Checked his other “sales”, he never actually sold a single of those 27 items till me. Guess others were smart and checked his background.
To get my money back i was forced to pay return shipping $40 to him.
I never dealt with some one so rude on a sale in my life.
Told him to never contact me again.
Let that be a lesson...

Anozira

WKR
Not knocking this at all, but anyone have an idea how many people who are on RS just to trade, buy and sell? I had a communication with a member about a possible deal, and I was going to offer a real sweetheart deal, but decided first to check the member's activity. Looks like this member joined, lurked for a month or two, then posted 10x on a single day and posted the first item for sale the next day, and the only activity since then has been on the classifieds. Again, that's within the rules, the history is transparent, and all prior feedback has been positive. But it did make me pause - should I give the deal I was considering to this member? On the one hand he or she isn't contributing the same way that others are, but then again, being a willing buyer and seller adds value to RS, and maybe he or she is in a pickle with the current economic situation and that's a main source of income?

Interesting point. I should probably start looking at post history more carefully because It could save a lot of headaches in the future. I have lucked out so far in that all of my dealings on RS have been smooth and problem free.

I believe your onto something under the theory that those Roksliders who contribute typically follow through with sales, prompt shipping, and the item matching the item discription etc.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Interesting point. I should probably start looking at post history more carefully because It could save a lot of headaches in the future. I have lucked out so far in that all of my dealings on RS have been smooth and problem free.

I believe your onto something under the theory that those Roksliders who contribute typically follow through with sales, prompt shipping, and the item matching the item discription etc.

I wasn't suggesting that a "buy/sell only" member was less trustworthy, although I can see that happening (as mentioned by @JRMiller). For this particular member, the history and feedback all seem positive. And if this is part of his or her livelihood, I could see providing good service as being pretty important.

My thought was I was going to say "free, or you pay shipping", but I'm not so sure I feel the same way about a b/s only member. Maybe my solution is to post the item on the pay it forward thread and ask for someone with more than X posts to respond? Or maybe I'm just a crotchety old man now.

I just finished a deal that fell through with a “junior member” that, shame on me for not checking, had all of 28 posts and 27 were all WTS.
It was a train wreck. Stated item was free of holes, rips, stains, and it had exactly that, holes, rips, and stains. When i called him out he got nasty right away, bad sign. Checked his other “sales”, he never actually sold a single of those 27 items till me. Guess others were smart and checked his background.
Let that be a lesson...
Report him to Rokslide admin. We do not need people like that here.

jspradley

WKR
If the buyer/seller doesn't have very many posts I tend to do a "background check"

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be here for the classifieds if you are legit but I do appreciate real contributors more. Although some might not consider my posts much of a contribution... lol

If the buyer/seller doesn't have very many posts I tend to do a "background check"

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be here for the classifieds if you are legit but I do appreciate real contributors more. Although some might not consider my posts much of a contribution... lol
I often type replies to posts other than classifieds, but find myself never posting it. Idk it’s like a self censor, or I think what’s the point. I’ve concluded unless I can truly feel it contributes and not just me blabbing to blab, I won’t post much. Good or bad? Not for me to say. I still enjoy buying and selling on the classifieds though. Am I a part of the OP’s problem? Maybe? The people I’ve sold gear to may disagree. As would those I’ve bought gear from. Does that lessen my depredations of not posting? Hard saying... does this post count as atonement? I’ll let the OP judge 😀

PhlyanPan

FNG
If it's obvious that someone is buying and selling just to make a profit I would personally be less likely to deal with them. Not saying they shouldn't be allowed to do it but I'm not going to give them a deal to try and help them out. People have been really nice to me on here and helped me out and if I get the chance to pass that along at some point I will but not to someone trying to make a buck.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider

I'm guilty of this for sure. I haven't been on since I sold my bow on here over a year ago! I've been on hiatus from hunting since our daughter was born, so I'm back in hopes of catching some tips and tricks I've missed over the last year.

JonnyB

WKR
I’ve been here going on three years and have made about the same amount of posts unrelated to sales. Most of it is the fact that I only started hunting “out west” when I moved to Alaska in 2016 so my hunting experience is limited compared to a lot of guys in here. The bulk of my experience outdoors is from my ten years in the army (which is what took me to Alaska in the first place) and doesn’t necessarily relate to hunting so I am typically on here gathering info and learning. Being a quiet, private person doesn’t help this matter either. The icing on the cake is RS is becoming more and more like Facebook everyday with all of the keyboard warriors, “I know it all but no one asks me the right questions” types, political/drama junkies, etc.

Ask for references when making deals and be sure to protect yourself as much as possible, even then all that does is reduce the margin of error. Not sure if any of this is helpful, I’m just typing because I’m bored out of my skull since I should have been rolling out of Fairbanks with my brother this evening to head towards sheep but I’m sitting near shit ass Ft Bragg waiting for the Army to give me my retirement papers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Well there are quite a few that only post for the giveaways too. Kinda sets your jaw when they win and have 9 posts all when a sponsor offers a giveaway.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Let that be a lesson...
Leave negative feedback on his profile with photos and screen shots.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Been here since 2014... sold a few items, bought a few items... I always check the other outdoor forums for a username and see if they have feedback before I commit to a purchase... Figured if they have sh*t feedback somewhere else I'm sure they will be a douche here. I like this forum LOTS better than some of the other sites... WAY more courteous for the most part.

KClark

WKR
I belonged to another hunting site geared towards a specific type of hunting. I checked in and read new content almost daily but never posted much, mainly because there was an argumentative slightly hostile tone used with newer members that weren't part of their clique. After a few years I was going through a gear purge and posted 10-15 times in the classifieds with quality used items at good prices. They sold quick and the feedback was all excellent until one day I received a pm from the administrator telling me I wasn't welcome unless I contributed in the general discussion and was banned.

I don't contribute much here either, don't use the classifieds much but I do check the new posts daily to make sure you yahoos haven't broke the internet.

JakeSCH

WKR
I often type replies to posts other than classifieds, but find myself never posting it. Idk it’s like a self censor, or I think what’s the point. I’ve concluded unless I can truly feel it contributes and not just me blabbing to blab, I won’t post much. Good or bad? Not for me to say. I still enjoy buying and selling on the classifieds though. Am I a part of the OP’s problem? Maybe? The people I’ve sold gear to may disagree. As would those I’ve bought gear from. Does that lessen my depredations of not posting? Hard saying... does this post count as atonement? I’ll let the OP judge 😀

I’m new to RS and have already done this many times...often I find someone posts right before I finish my reply, with a very similar response that I was going to add. So it gets deleted.

I literally was about delete this response but told myself no! 😂