RS members who just buy and sell

Doghed

WKR
This is not a problem. There are countless new members here (who have low post counts) reading the content in an attempt to become better western hunters and at the same time are trying to equip themselves by buying and selling what they can to apply what they are learning from this community. I am one of them.

Making a profit selling used gear on Rokslide classifieds? HAHAHA. Yeah right.

Crappy members doing crappy things is another issue.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I often type replies to posts other than classifieds, but find myself never posting it. Idk it’s like a self censor, or I think what’s the point. I’ve concluded unless I can truly feel it contributes and not just me blabbing to blab, I won’t post much. Good or bad? Not for me to say. I still enjoy buying and selling on the classifieds though. Am I a part of the OP’s problem? Maybe? The people I’ve sold gear to may disagree. As would those I’ve bought gear from. Does that lessen my depredations of not posting? Hard saying... does this post count as atonement? I’ll let the OP judge 😀

You exercise better self-control than me. I'm sure that 95% of my posts are viewed as BS by the members. To be clear, I'm the OP and I don't have a problem with people who only participate by/through the classifieds. I'm just asking if I should give away something to that person the same way I would if someone participated more fully. I'm not in a position to say whether you have "atoned" - but I was going to look at your prior posts, but when I click on your profile I'm unable to see your prior posts. FWIW.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I'm guilty of this for sure. I haven't been on since I sold my bow on here over a year ago! I've been on hiatus from hunting since our daughter was born, so I'm back in hopes of catching some tips and tricks I've missed over the last year.
Welcome back!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I belonged to another hunting site geared towards a specific type of hunting. I checked in and read new content almost daily but never posted much, mainly because there was an argumentative slightly hostile tone used with newer members that weren't part of their clique. After a few years I was going through a gear purge and posted 10-15 times in the classifieds with quality used items at good prices. They sold quick and the feedback was all excellent until one day I received a pm from the administrator telling me I wasn't welcome unless I contributed in the general discussion and was banned.

I don't contribute much here either, don't use the classifieds much but I do check the new posts daily to make sure you yahoos haven't broke the internet.

@KClark - sounds like my experience recently on another forum geared towards a specific type of rifle....

I'm not trying to mess up folks who like to lurk. One of the things that I was worried about with my approach, and this thread, was cutting off a new hunter who is looking for gear at a decent price. If there is a way to make that determination, I would open my gear closet to him/her. I just don't know that I feel the same way about someone who has stumbled across RS and is using it as a "safer" eBay.

qwerksc

WKR
I check the classified section daily, but, for me RS has so much to offer. Good place to be, even though there is not enough conspiracy talk here.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
This is not a problem.

I am not saying that there's a problem. I exchanged a PM with a member and was about to say "hey man, I don't want to charge you anything - you can have it for free, but just cover shipping." Then I saw that the member did what I said in the original post - not merely lurk or be worried that his/her contributions would be valuable. The member posted 10 times on the same day (like "yes!" or "I agree!"), apparently to meet the minimum post count, then did his/her first sale item on the classifieds. And then did like 10-15 more, but never posted again other than to buy and sell. Again, that's within the rules - but should I give him something for free? My first answer was this is an easy "no" but I wanted to post to see who may be left out, or how I could be wrong.

jt4

WKR
I get where you’re coming from and probably would have the same reluctance to give a good deal to someone that doesn’t contribute much if at all.

Playing devils advocate though, I could be considered pretty “inactive” bc I don’t post a lot although I’m on here multiple times a day every single day reading just about every post that I can. Just don’t reply much bc I don’t have western hunting insight that most on here are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you're wrong to not want to give it to him - it's totally your call. I have purchased several items here with complete disregard to who the seller is - thankfully I have not been burned. I am in an archery for sale/trade group on Facebook and there are quite a few scams going on right now. Everyone be careful who you are buying from!

KBC

WKR
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Check feedback when buying from someone. If I'm selling (haven't on here but I do a bit on a couple forums in the Great White North) I don't care about a buyer's feedback. I get the money and then I ship. I don't buy from anyone that doesn't have at least a bit of positive feedback.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I get where you’re coming from and probably would have the same reluctance to give a good deal to someone that doesn’t contribute much if at all.

Playing devils advocate though, I could be considered pretty “inactive” bc I don’t post a lot although I’m on here multiple times a day every single day reading just about every post that I can. Just don’t reply much bc I don’t have western hunting insight that most on here are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's because of your avatar, but I see you here frequently!

I'm going to reach out to the guy and say I will give it to him for shipping, and encourage him to become more active. Even if he doesn't know anything (I don't know $shit), if he asks questions, I will *bet* he's asking a question someone else is debating asking.

I belonged to another hunting site geared towards a specific type of hunting. I checked in and read new content almost daily but never posted much, mainly because there was an argumentative slightly hostile tone used with newer members that weren't part of their clique. After a few years I was going through a gear purge and posted 10-15 times in the classifieds with quality used items at good prices. They sold quick and the feedback was all excellent until one day I received a pm from the administrator telling me I wasn't welcome unless I contributed in the general discussion and was banned.

I don't contribute much here either, don't use the classifieds much but I do check the new posts daily to make sure you yahoos haven't broke the internet.
Shun the non-believer!

AZmark

WKR
I've only been a member for 6 months or so. I've bought several things, sold one item.
I always look at a sellers profile ans sometimes will to a little conversation before I buy

Buying online can be tricky! I constantly buy and sell but am up in Canada so I havent done any buy/sell on here. Some people are horrible at selling stuff. I always offer a money back guarantee and never sell anything as new or mint condition, even if it is. Communication is super important! Send tracking info and remain in good communication until the deal is done! I certainly "creep" people beforehand. I have always had good dealings but have been "scared" after I send $1,500.00 to someone and they go dark on you! I use a site called Canadian Gunnutz quite a bit and they have a trader rating system that gives good peace of mind. Has this forum got a system like that?

GotDraw?

WKR
@JRMiller
Was the scumbag seller "Troy Sessions"?
JL

I just finished a deal that fell through with a “junior member” that, shame on me for not checking, had all of 28 posts and 27 were all WTS.
It was a train wreck. Stated item was free of holes, rips, stains, and it had exactly that, holes, rips, and stains. When i called him out he got nasty right away, bad sign. Checked his other “sales”, he never actually sold a single of those 27 items till me. Guess others were smart and checked his background.
To get my money back i was forced to pay return shipping $40 to him.
I never dealt with some one so rude on a sale in my life.
Told him to never contact me again.
Let that be a lesson...

DEJaca

FNG
Being new here, I can see why some members are weary of new guys who try to fufill the requirements to post in the classified section. I also belong to the AccurateShooter forum. Many people there will not do business with someone with no or low feedback numbers or who are not a gold or silver member. We were all newbies at one time so I try and have a good PM, text or phone conversation with the member before we strike a deal. I pay with postal money orders and do all mailing with Priority Mail with tracking and insurance to cover the money order. I feel that this protects both the buyer and seller. If I have a bad feeling about the posted ad, I just move on and keep an eye on it. Sometimes they seem to work out great, other times the OP just fades away with little or no other communication. I can say that 99% of my dealings with forum members have been positive.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, classifieds cowboys

The truth is, having a good classifieds section brings traffic to the site and ultimately will attract members who actively participate in the forums.

And honestly just being a classifieds poster doesn’t make you a crook. If you have 100 posts and most are in the classifieds and you’re rating is 100% with 50 transactions,I’ll gladly deal with you