Rubber the next item you cant get

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m kinda confused how consumer hysteria is to blame for supply shortages. When it’s lack of producing by humans causing the shortages. The whole world has gone bonkers.

It’s not that confusing. It’s the combination of the two factors. The shortages coming from shutting down the economies of the world mixed with hysteria buying with price fixes. Capitalism has a way of fixing shortages, which is being suppressed. Allowing prices to fluctuate prevents hoarding and signals that investments need made in industries with shortages. Furthermore, add to that a huge chunk of the country getting thousands of dollars in handouts to go out and blow on things with shortages and we have a perfect recipe for disaster. The government needs to stop trying to fix things. Look at what the mortgage/rent moratorium is doing to the rent/housing market. As soon as they stop kicking that can down the road, there’s 2.5 million households in delinquency right now. That’s going to be a lot of supply opening up very quickly, which will bring prices back down to reality. And if they don’t stop kicking the can down the road then that signals to consumers that they don’t ever need to repay their mortgages. I can’t wait to see where that goes.

It’s not that confusing. It’s the combination of the two factors. The shortages coming from shutting down the economies of the world mixed with hysteria buying with price fixes. Capitalism has a way of fixing shortages, which is being suppressed. Allowing prices to fluctuate prevents hoarding and signals that investments need made in industries with shortages. Furthermore, add to that a huge chunk of the country getting thousands of dollars in handouts to go out and blow on things with shortages and we have a perfect recipe for disaster. The government needs to stop trying to fix things. Look at what the mortgage/rent moratorium is doing to the rent/housing market. As soon as they stop kicking that can down the road, there’s 2.5 million households in delinquency right now. That’s going to be a lot of supply opening up very quickly, which will bring prices back down to reality. And if they don’t stop kicking the can down the road then that signals to consumers that they don’t ever need to repay their mortgages. I can’t wait to see where that goes.
Well said.

Well hysteria or not, my tires have over 50k miles on them so i went ahead and ordered some a few months earlier than i was going to, thanks to the OP. Was gonna wait until fall but my tire shop said shortage or not, thats when everyone around here wants new tires so they didn't recommend waiting. Even if i dont get them installed yet and store them until i need them. He said there has been certain tires that have been harder than normal to get for customers this past year

Mtnboy

WKR
Went to pick up some dirt bike tires a few weeks ago. My local dealer usually has a huge inventory to choose from, ranging from 5-7 tire manufacturers and all sizes. They had 17 tires in stock total, all were the same crap tire from the same manufacturer.

I asked when they expected more and was told "Your guess is as good as ours but most have been on back order for weeks."

It's a thing.

VernAK

WKR
A buddy wanted to buy a new 18' Lund boat.....plain old Lund.......price had gone up 70% over last year and Anchorage dealer could only get twenty and all were pre-sold.

Another buddy has a 2 year old F150 that's giving him lotsa grief so he tried to trade for a new F350.....nope.....dealer could pre sell and order a 2022.

TheGDog

WKR
Yes. Hopefully we can recall our idiot governor and get a little bit of freedom back...
We will likely be able to recall him... but I seriously doubt we'll ever get much of our freedom back. At best... they do something lame like attempt to give 1 silly stupid thing back that is incosequential, just so they can say they did.

TheGDog

WKR
California cares, our government protects us from hauling too many tires LOL
I will say this... the dumping thing truly is a problem. Personally I have NEVER seen tires though.

Furniture? Yes.
Electronics? Yes.
Appliances? Yes.
Boats? Yes.
DumpedBoat.jpg
But soo far... Tires? Not really.

And OMG... this weekend we went for a Hike in Ladder Canyon down in Mecca, CA by Salton Sea... afterward Mama and her friend wanted to checkout "Salvation Hill" and "East Jesus" down in Slab City by Niland.

Ick... that whole place gave me the heebie-jeebies. You could smell the Hepatitis-C in the air. Was expecting at any moment to have an army of methheads jump up out of hiding and rush the lookie-loo's showing up to take pics of all their trash they've turned into "Art". Whole place looked like an exaggerated scene out of that movie "Nomad" with Frances McDormand.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to take a pic of the dumped tire mountain down the street from my shop here in Portland oregon next time i drive that way lol. Its probably a thing in lots of places, you just haven't seen it yet maybe. Fits right in around here, this is the other side of the wall that seperates a street with our private drive to the shop lol. After 3 years of this bullshit and a TON of effort on our part and the other nearby businesses, the city/ODOT is finally gonna relocate these bums aka "people experiencing homelessness"

California sounds horrible but the rest of the urban west coast areas arent far behind it

Attachments

• 20210219_160352.jpg
    20210219_160352.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9894.jpg
    IMG_9894.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 80

Mosby

WKR
I am going to make some phone calls and order some new tires for my truck tomorrow. Going to store them in the garage until I need them this fall. I will need a new set this year and I don't want to risk having to drive around on worn out tread in the winter. I've had some bad experiences with that sort of thing in the past.

Edit: Called a couple of tire shops. It will take me 3-5 days to get the tires I want in. Doesn't seem to be any problem getting them. Going into town and order them. One less thing I have to worry about.

Last edited:
I will say this... the dumping thing truly is a problem. Personally I have NEVER seen tires though.

Furniture? Yes.
Electronics? Yes.
Appliances? Yes.
Boats? Yes.
View attachment 284165
But soo far... Tires? Not really.

And OMG... this weekend we went for a Hike in Ladder Canyon down in Mecca, CA by Salton Sea... afterward Mama and her friend wanted to checkout "Salvation Hill" and "East Jesus" down in Slab City by Niland.

Ick... that whole place gave me the heebie-jeebies. You could smell the Hepatitis-C in the air. Was expecting at any moment to have an army of methheads jump up out of hiding and rush the lookie-loo's showing up to take pics of all their trash they've turned into "Art". Whole place looked like an exaggerated scene out of that movie "Nomad" with Frances McDormand.
The picture of dumped tires, as promised lol. It apparently happens at least around here. Theres hundreds of tires here, its insane but there was a lot more a month ago. No idea whos dumping these but its ridiculous. Unfortunately not surprising, seems like people will literally dump anything theae days

Attachments

• 20210420_185232.jpg
    20210420_185232.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210420_185232.jpg
    20210420_185232.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 83

sneaky

"DADDY"
Im not so sure about this.
My GF needed new tires the other day and she ordered the ones she wanted and they arrived the next day.

Sure the price may be higher than last year, but there wasnt any delay or even mention of delay from Discount Tire.

Its threads like this that create panic [i.e. ammo]
My local tire guy has gotten multiple letters from distributors that tire prices are going up. It isn't threads like this, it's actual examples. Just because they had her tires in stock that day doesn't mean squat for the future supply chain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

inyago

FNG
Its not just tires either, timber and associated products are hard to source, it is available at 200% plus prices.
Some central banks are thinking we need to have a little inflation, whatever a little is.??
Covid is changing this world in ways we cannot imagine, its being used to drive agendas we know nothing about.. Get ready to become a serf"..

TheGDog

WKR
I'm just waiting for how they're going to transition from COVID Fear over to Climate Change Fear. I'm curious to observe which psychological tools of manipulation the elect to implement and run with THIS time.

I am going to make some phone calls and order some new tires for my truck tomorrow. Going to store them in the garage until I need them this fall. I will need a new set this year and I don't want to risk having to drive around on worn out tread in the winter. I've had some bad experiences with that sort of thing in the past.

Edit: Called a couple of tire shops. It will take me 3-5 days to get the tires I want in. Doesn't seem to be any problem getting them. Going into town and order them. One less thing I have to worry about.

Mine have been on order for two months and they still can’t tell me when I’ll have them. K02’s so not weird / rare ones.

Gutshotem

WKR
The picture of dumped tires, as promised lol. It apparently happens at least around here. Theres hundreds of tires here, its insane but there was a lot more a month ago. No idea whos dumping these but its ridiculous. Unfortunately not surprising, seems like people will literally dump anything theae days
Holy hell!

Mosby

WKR
Mine have been on order for two months and they still can’t tell me when I’ll have them. K02’s so not weird / rare ones.
I ordered Falken Wildpeak's AT3W. Said they were coming from two different warehouses but they had 5 tires in stock. I am buying an extra tire for a second spare since they had it available. Hopefully what they told me is accurate. If so I should get them this week.

EDIT: My tires came in just like they said.

Last edited:
OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Stock piling for the future riots...