Rubber the next item you cant get

Just letting everyone know rubber is now getting impossible to get. If you need new tires or anything with rubber in it go get it now and save yourself some money...
Stopped watching the news long ago and don't invest in any rubber companies. Why is this?

Just letting everyone know rubber is now getting impossible to get. If you need new tires or anything with rubber in it go get it now and save yourself some money...

Do you have any sources to support this? Cause... I am not one to just believe anyone on the internet.

Furthermore, I hate hysteria creating comments that serve no purpose.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I work for a plastics vacuum forming company. Our PVC (vinyl) has seen a huge increase in cost and we've had a few supply slowdowns. We regularly receive 40-80k lbs of material a month.

We're having to really extend blanket orders months in advance for raw materials to ensure we don't run out.

Manufacturing is booming in a lot of sectors, 2020 was our busiest year ever.

Low interest rates are probably not helping, everyone is remodeling or building new houses. I went to 3 hardware stores last month and couldn't find a 2 gang outlet box (PVC) I needed for a light switch. The shelves were almost bare of any switch boxes for 1 or 2 outlets.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Bloomberg Supply Lines newsletter is a good one to subscribe to, but you could really sense the orange man bad syndrome during the past year or so.

"As if U.S. automakers haven’t had enough problems during the pandemic — plant shutdowns, Covid-19 outbreaks, a global semiconductor shortage— supply chain experts are warning of another on the horizon: natural rubber.

A white sap that bleeds from rubber trees grown in warm, humid countries like Thailand and Indonesia, natural rubber has unique properties that make it critical for tires and car parts.

Industry watchers say rubber prices are at the beginning of a cyclical, multi-year rally because flooding and leaf disease have ravaged supply, while swooning prices gave rubber tappers little incentive to plant new trees, which take seven years to mature.

These dynamics came to the attention of some rubber distributors last year when China, the world’s largest consumer of natural rubber, began making big purchases to replenish reserves as its economy opened up.

By December, U.S. manufacturers who had held back on ordering rubber during lockdowns were now scrambling to secure it.

-1x-1.png

So far, the automakers themselves aren’t copping to any problem — they’re not really inclined to advertise when an obscure widget threatens to cost them billions of dollars. But industry consultants say the issue is becoming worrisome for their top-tier suppliers.

The threat of more shortages is also forcing manufacturers to question a central tenet of how they operate: just-in-time manufacturing. The practice of keeping minimal inventory has long helped car companies control costs and wring profit out of their capital-intensive, low-margin business, but it’s proving to be an Achilles’ heel in the pandemic.

It also ties into larger public policy questions the U.S. is grappling with in the wake of a bruising trade war with China, and nightmarish health-care equipment shortages when the coronavirus went worldwide last year.

“If you look at the trillions of dollars Covid-19 cost us — a big chunk of that could have been mitigated by millions of dollars of supply chain investment,” said Dan Finkenstadt, professor at the Naval Graduate School of Defense Management in Monterey, California."

cnelk

WKR
Im not so sure about this.
My GF needed new tires the other day and she ordered the ones she wanted and they arrived the next day.

Sure the price may be higher than last year, but there wasnt any delay or even mention of delay from Discount Tire.

Its threads like this that create panic [i.e. ammo]

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Are the neighbor hood kids gonna start stealing them off trailer house roofs and sell them on craigslist for $200 a pop? My mother has black gold on her roof! There must be 40 tires up on top of that single wide.

You just brought back some serious memories of when I was a kid

Mosby

WKR
I will need new truck tires before hunting season.Trying to figure out what to do and when to do it involves a lot more energy than I like to spend on things like tires. I am going to drink several beers tomorrow while I think about it and see if I have an enlightened moment.