Ruger Hand Me Down Barrel Wear

Duckmasta

FNG
Hi All, new to the forum, I was handed a Ruger 10/22 from my grandpa who just passed. I have only shot it once and seemed to shoot okay plinking steel targets at 100 yards. Stripped it and cleaned it down and everything seems okay. I attached a picture of some wear on the end of the muzzle. Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 7EA83A37-C7C2-4AFF-B13F-46E73F2F2396.png
    7EA83A37-C7C2-4AFF-B13F-46E73F2F2396.png
    787.2 KB · Views: 81

Axlrod

WKR
Nothing to see there...pretty much normal for a 10/22. It's virtually impossible to damage a .22LR barrel with normal use- even a whole lot of it.
Except for improper cleaning. The 10/22 as produced doesn't allow cleaning with a rod from the breach. A cleaning rod inserted through the muzzle will damage the barrel. You can use one of the cable cleaners through the breach, or there is a jig you can use to drill a hole for rod use from the breach. Last is you can remove the barrel pretty easily from the receiver to clean. Or just keep shooting it and don't clean the barrel.

OP
D

Duckmasta

FNG
Except for improper cleaning. The 10/22 as produced doesn't allow cleaning with a rod from the breach. A cleaning rod inserted through the muzzle will damage the barrel. You can use one of the cable cleaners through the breach, or there is a jig you can use to drill a hole for rod use from the breach. Last is you can remove the barrel pretty easily from the receiver to clean. Or just keep shooting it and don't clean the barrel.
What about a boresnake?

16Bore

WKR
Just a little lead. There’s a kit that allows you to drill out the back of the receiver so you can clean from the breach. Easy to find bore guides for muzzle cleaning on .920 barrels.

In your case and the sense of nostalgia, I’d just take it completely apart on occasion for a deep clean, then boresnake or OTIS when you feel the need.

They get dirty as hell. Mags gum up first, then the action. One Shot cleaner for the trigger group is the only way to fly and I prefer Wipe Out for the barrel.

elkguide

WKR
I have a 10/22 that between me, my 4 children and now eight grandchildren, have put literally thousands and thousands of rounds through it. It has been truly a beater gun that has ridden in the truck, on the tractor, on ATV's, and even thrown in the back of the SXS. It has been "swimming" many times while coon hunting and I'm ashamed to say, has really been abused. One thing that I know for sure is that even after all of that, last summer, at 50 - 90 yards, out the back door, the score was 7 rabbits and 9 woodchucks that didn't finish dining in my garden. It definitely isn't the prettiest rifle out there and even though I have picked up several other 10/22's for my family and I to shoot in the backyard, old faithful is the first one that I grab when I need to protect my garden.

WCB

WKR
If you strip then gun completely down just do one good cleaning through the bore. use a good bore solvent. just be cautious to make sure the rod itsgoing straight down the barrel and not rubbing on the crown/rifling.

Then after that get a pull through kit for general maintenance. I've done this 2 or 3 times with my 10/22 and I've caused no damage to the rifle.