Rumors of Another Shutdown

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin was down over the weekend, and was back up as of yesterday. Didn't impact Inreach usage, did briefly impact registration of a new device.

That's good. I have a Garmin watch but all gym, no running in AZ summer. so I haven't paid attention to Garmin Connect. Apparently Connect and flight navigation software has been down at least a couple weeks.

TexasCub

WKR
It’s going to blow up again here in Colorado very soon. The number of tourist that are currently in this state will be the catalyst. I was at the Royal Gorge this past weekend and the number of license plates from places like Texas, California,etc was astonishing. Tons of vehicles and large crowds. Then suddenly today they announced an outbreak at the white water rafting facilities and restaurants today in the local news. It’s coming for sure. Of course it’s gonna be these super high case numbers that will drive a shutdown , not the actual mortality rate.

Reactions: lif
Any mask you mentioned above has zero evidence of preventing infection.
Yes, they absolutely do. Mask use is why there are countries with deaths in the 200's, not the hundreds of thousands. Don't spread misinformation. Covid is a respiratory disease transmitted by droplets expelled in the breath, and there is mountains of evidence showing effectiveness of masks from actual medical professionals and people who have dedicated their lives to studying and fighting diseases and pandemics.

Brendan

WKR
That's good. I have a Garmin watch but all gym, no running in AZ summer. so I haven't paid attention to Garmin Connect. Apparently Connect and flight navigation software has been down at least a couple weeks.

It wasn't a couple weeks, I think 4-5 days.

Basically, someone hacked their system and encrypted a bunch of important stuff. Still speculation around if Garmin paid them them the $10M they were looking for though.

Only reason I noticed was that my Mountain Bike rides didn't make it through to Strava...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Science is always looking for a control group and Sweden has supplied that to the world since they never shut down, nor have they mandated or even encouraged masks. Yet at almost double the population of Colorado, they only have about double the number of cases that Colorado has.......yet Colorado shut down for months and has mandated mask use. But that control group is contrary to the narrative that they want and need so they will ignore and discredit it every chance they get.

Part of the problem is that the media and our tech giants have taken it upon themselves to censor any and all information that is contrary to the narrative that they want to keep going during this election year. And then any contrary info that does leak out to the masses is quickly countered with a discredit campaign that almost seems as if it was orchestrated well before this virus even took hold. Just look at any and all of the hydroxychloroquine testimonies and data. Now all those doctors that have used it on their patients very successfully are suddenly "quacks". They have to keep this fear going in the American sheep public as that's their only chance at getting rid of Trump. That and the "control" that they've easily been able to grab a hold of during this fear has been astonishing.........and they like power and control, and hate anything that is contrary to them keeping that power and control.

So........is another shutdown possible? Absolutely. It won't be based on science or logic, but on power and control.

WKR
Trump has retweeted a conspiracy theory video of "doctors" making claims including that you don't need to wear a mask, and hydroxychloroquine is a "cure" that is being suppressed by the government.

Trump has since doubled down on his hydroxy claims, and has described the nutjobs in the video as "very respected doctors". The leading "very respected doctor" has form as a fringe conspiracy theorist, having made claims including:
  • that gynaecological issues are the result of having sex with witches and demons
  • that DNA from space aliens is being used in medicine
  • that the American Government is run by "half-human" people with a "reptilian spirit"
  • that scientists are working on a vaccine to stop people from becoming religious

LOL... Really?

WKR
At this point, I think we need to just let the cards play. Those who doubt valid science should absolutely be allowed to live/die by those choices and vice versa. No changing teams in the 11th hour. Let natural selection do it's thing.

WKR
Science is always looking for a control group and Sweden has supplied that to the world since they never shut down, nor have they mandated or even encouraged masks. Yet at almost double the population of Colorado, they only have about double the number of cases that Colorado has.......yet Colorado shut down for months and has mandated mask use. But that control group is contrary to the narrative that they want and need so they will ignore and discredit it every chance they get.

Part of the problem is that the media and our tech giants have taken it upon themselves to censor any and all information that is contrary to the narrative that they want to keep going during this election year. And then any contrary info that does leak out to the masses is quickly countered with a discredit campaign that almost seems as if it was orchestrated well before this virus even took hold. Just look at any and all of the hydroxychloroquine testimonies and data. Now all those doctors that have used it on their patients very successfully are suddenly "quacks". They have to keep this fear going in the American sheep public as that's their only chance at getting rid of Trump. That and the "control" that they've easily been able to grab a hold of during this fear has been astonishing.........and they like power and control, and hate anything that is contrary to them keeping that power and control.

So........is another shutdown possible? Absolutely. It won't be based on science or logic, but on power and control.

Looking at WHO data published today (7/28/20):

Sweden, 5700 deaths, 10.2 million population, so 559 deaths per million
USA, 146,331 deaths, 329 million population, so 444 deaths per million

Sweden has most certainly made a lot of changes short of a shutdown (WFH, no Jr or High school attendance, social distancing). Plus, Swedes are generally WAY healthier than Americans and tend to be more socially independent (living alone, etc.) than Americans.

Sweden has a lot of advantages over the US when it comes to managing Covid 19 (health, healthcare, and socially) and while it's still early, it's hard to say it's been a rousing success thus far, especially when compared to their Scandinavian neighbors.

When all is said and done, I do think they'll do MUCH better than the US, but it'll be because they were more health conscious and WAY healthier before the pandemic, rather than their mitigation strategy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Like I said........the discrediting continues........

You always know there's some truth to what's being claimed when an opposing group goes to such lengths to constantly and nauseatingly deny it or discredit it. If hydroxychloroquine doesn't work, then that will dictate its merits on its own. There's no need to constantly berate its use, discredit those doctors and patients that it has worked for, and go to the ends of the earth to stop its use. Just let it go, and if it doesn't work.......it doesn't work. But when it does work.......and they have to control the narrative to the contrary.........well, that's what we're seeing today.

This is America, where we have freedoms and choices......for ourselves. No government should ever be allowed to dictate those choices, freedoms, and liberties to us. That's exactly what the Constitution does.........is forbid and restrict the government from doing that.

I find it interesting (well, not really)......that so many people will go to such lengths to discredit doctors from around the world that have absolutely no agenda other than saving people's lives.......yet put a politicized doctor on a pedestal, defend him at all costs, and declare his words as gospel......when that doctor said that "Americans didn't need to worry about this virus", "Americans shouldn't be wearing masks", and that "it was OK to have sex with strangers you meet on the internet, but shaking hands should be banned and a thing of the past"......LOL.

Last edited:

Scrappy

WKR

I just put this back up in hope's more will read your comments and let it sink in.

Last edited:
Liberals have been laying the groundwork for a second shut down in September since the end of March.

A buddy of mine that works at Ohio State University was telling me of how they have plans in place for a second shut down in September back in mid April.

11boo

WKR
It’s going to blow up again here in Colorado very soon. The number of tourist that are currently in this state will be the catalyst. I was at the Royal Gorge this past weekend and the number of license plates from places like Texas, California,etc was astonishing. Tons of vehicles and large crowds. Then suddenly today they announced an outbreak at the white water rafting facilities and restaurants today in the local news. It’s coming for sure. Of course it’s gonna be these super high case numbers that will drive a shutdown , not the actual mortality rate.

I have a good friend in Breckenridge, they are getting a lot of tourists.

of course masks are pretty much mandatory, everywhere. He claims nearly 99% compliance. And they are still getting a lot of Covid. How does some rag over your face help?

Billinsd

WKR
I find it interesting (well, not really)......that so many people will go to such lengths to discredit doctors from around the world that have absolutely no agenda other than saving people's lives.......yet put a politicized doctor on a pedestal, defend him at all costs, and declare his words as gospel......when that doctor said that "Americans didn't need to worry about this virus", "Americans shouldn't be wearing masks", and that "it was OK to have sex with strangers you meet on the internet, but shaking hands should be banned and a thing of the past"......LOL.
I think part of it is most don't want to admit they are wrong. I know I hate to admit it, but it happens, just ask my wife.

Laramie

WKR
I'm not on board with the crazy strategies but I do believe masks would slow the spread somewhat if they were good masks worn properly. The reality is that at least half the people I see wearing one don't really wear it as intended and keep it on correctly when needed. It's become a statement instead of a genuine effort to slow the spread. My opinion is masks or no masks, this crap is here to stay and in a matter of a year or two will just be another thing we live with.

CMF

WKR
There were 2 hair dressers in MO who worked while symptomatic but wore masks. They did 139 appointments and of the ~40 people who were tested not one came back positive and no one reported getting COVID afterwards. While anecdotal, it is pretty compelling evidence that masks work.

That's not really evidence at all when you have zero control group. Now if they had also had appointments while not wearing a mask you could compare.....

MattB

WKR
That's not really evidence at all when you have zero control group. Now if they had also had appointments while not wearing a mask you could compare.....

The CDC suggests otherwise. But you probably know better.

TexasCub

WKR
What I don’t understand is that most viruses in the Corona family are highly contagious, every other virus from influenza to H1N1 infects/infected 60 million + Americans annually , do people believe we can all hide and the rona will go away? This thing is here to stay and tens of millions are going to get it. The fear factor is what I don’t get, it has a less than 1/2 of 1 percent mortality rate. One of my co workers tested positive on Saturday, only thing he’s got going on is the loss of taste and smell. That makes several of my coworkers that have gotten it in the last few months.

What I don’t understand is that most viruses in the Corona family are highly contagious, every other virus from influenza to H1N1 infects/infected 60 million + Americans annually , do people believe we can all hide and the rona will go away? This thing is here to stay and tens of millions are going to get it. The fear factor is what I don’t get, it has a less than 1/2 of 1 percent mortality rate. One of my co workers tested positive on Saturday, only thing he’s got going on is the loss of taste and smell. That makes several of my coworkers that have gotten it in the last few months.

If we had tested, traced and contained it early on, then yes. We didn't, and now it continues to spread.

Compare South Koreas response to ours -

By March 3rd they had already tested 140,000 people, built drive up testing stations, provided free masks for citizens, and provided quarantine facilities in hotels for people who were infected to prevent them from infecting their families. Their cases per day PEAKED on March 1st, 2020 at 1000 cases per day.

South Koreas TOTAL DEATHS as of today, is just 300 people.

In comparison at that point in time the US had only tested 2000 people, were months behind on masks recommendations, and has a population of people who think Coronavirus is a "hoax." Just two days before South Koreas highest ever level of infection Trump was at a rally saying "This is their new hoax."

Now South Korea and all the other countries with swift responses ARE back to life, without shutdowns.

Meanwhile, the

US DEATH TOLL as of today is 152,000 people.

There are tons of other countries that responded efficiently and quickly in order to educate their citizens and keep them safe. It works. We didn't do these things properly, continue not to, and hundreds of thousands are dying.

If you want to see curves of new daily cases since February for countries around the world, check out -