S&B lost zero x3

leclairk

FNG
I’ve got a S&B PMII, about 5 years old. Hasn’t been abused but I have hunted with it. First 2 times it lost zero I blamed it on the Pelican rifle case I was using to transport it for a hunting trip. I would put both my shotgun and rifle in the same case and my theory was the shotgun was banging on the elevation turret. Both times I got to my hunting area and went to confirm zero and both times it was high 2-3MOA. Stopped using that case after that and since then never had a problem with the zero, until last week. Took it out to the range (hasn’t seen much use in the last year) and it was 2 minutes high. Only abuse it could have seen was putting rifles in and out of the safe. I am very careful with my rifles so if it did get banged by another rifle it would have been pretty insignificant. My question is, will S&B be any help? If I send it to them to have them check it out will they charge me a bunch of money and tell me everything looks good? I’ve never had any experience dealing with a scope manufacturer because a scope loses zero. Is it acceptable that it’s lost zero 3 times in 5 years?

Sadie

FNG
Send it to be repaired. Tell them it's not holding zero.s&bs customer service is second to none. It will be free of charge.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve got a S&B PMII, about 5 years old. Hasn’t been abused but I have hunted with it. First 2 times it lost zero I blamed it on the Pelican rifle case I was using to transport it for a hunting trip. I would put both my shotgun and rifle in the same case and my theory was the shotgun was banging on the elevation turret. Both times I got to my hunting area and went to confirm zero and both times it was high 2-3MOA. Stopped using that case after that and since then never had a problem with the zero, until last week. Took it out to the range (hasn’t seen much use in the last year) and it was 2 minutes high. Only abuse it could have seen was putting rifles in and out of the safe. I am very careful with my rifles so if it did get banged by another rifle it would have been pretty insignificant. My question is, will S&B be any help? If I send it to them to have them check it out will they charge me a bunch of money and tell me everything looks good? I’ve never had any experience dealing with a scope manufacturer because a scope loses zero. Is it acceptable that it’s lost zero 3 times in 5 years?

Are you positive it isn’t you rifle, rings, or rail?

What is the rifle setup and how is it assembled?

OP
L

leclairk

FNG
Are you positive it isn’t you rifle, rings, or rail?

What is the rifle setup and how is it assembled?
The scope has been on 2 different rifles so I don’t think that’s the issue. Same Seekins rings on both rifles so that could be a possibility. Both times attached to a picatinny rail. Current rifle is aTikka CTR in an KRG chassis. Only shift is vertical, never had a horizontal shift. Seems like I would get some sort of horizontal shift if the rings were loose/bad. Group size does not change either with the vertical shift. Probably 500 rounds shot between the 2nd and 3rd time it’s shifted and has functioned flawlessly.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The scope has been on 2 different rifles so I don’t think that’s the issue. Same Seekins rings on both rifles so that could be a possibility. Both times attached to a picatinny rail. Current rifle is aTikka CTR in an KRG chassis. Only shift is vertical, never had a horizontal shift. Seems like I would get some sort of horizontal shift if the rings were loose/bad. Group size does not change either with the vertical shift. Probably 500 rounds shot between the 2nd and 3rd time it’s shifted and has functioned flawlessly.

That does sound like a scope issue. Though, there are some issues with the two base screw Seekins rings and impacts.

S&B will fix it.

I had a S&B Stratos that wouldn’t hold zero from day one. Sent it in. Very fast return, no questions, awesome customer service. And unlike NF, they actually accepted there was an issue.

Call Jerry. He will get you fixed up ASAP.

eamyrick

WKR
S&B USA has some of the best customer service in the industry. Call Jerry and send it in.

Service-Center

204 McGhee Rd
Winchester, VA 22603
U.S.A.

Phone: +1 (540) 450 8132

Before you send it in, check that your rail has not loosened. A friend of mine had a SWFA that was consistently losing zero and each time it was 1-3moa higher than it should have been. Turns out his loctited rail screws had loosened and the recoil of the gun had started to bend the screws. This was on a 243. Needless to say, he now jb welds his rails like we all should!

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I have a PMII that has been sent in twice for loss of zero as well. Mine was bought around 2004 and was shot almost weekly for 15 years or so on a 308. I will say, mine was one with a reticle installed by Premier back when they had the Marine contract, so that may be the issue. Service was good both times, but if/when it happens again I will send it down the road.

JGRaider

WKR
Out of the 160 or so hunters we had in camps, only saw a handful of S&B's. This was before hunters decided they needed to twist dials to kill stuff. I found them heavy, well built, and the reticles sucked for hunting as they were much too thin. They wouldn't be anywhere near my short list.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Out of the 160 or so hunters we had in camps, only saw a handful of S&B's. This was before hunters decided they needed to twist dials to kill stuff. I found them heavy, well built, and the reticles sucked for hunting as they were much too thin. They wouldn't be anywhere near my short list.
Can we get your short list?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Before you send it in, check that your rail has not loosened. A friend of mine had a SWFA that was consistently losing zero and each time it was 1-3moa higher than it should have been. Turns out his loctited rail screws had loosened and the recoil of the gun had started to bend the screws. This was on a 243. Needless to say, he now jb welds his rails like we all should!
Watch out for JB weld when oil make its way up through the action screws

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Can you elaborate? I run Seekins almost exclusively and if there’s a known issue I’d like to be aware of what the problem or potential for problems might be there.

Thanks.

Multiple sets have had base plate crack, as well as issues with loss of zero from side impacts. Some of that has been documented in a couple of the scope eval threads.

I wouldn’t necessarily go out and switch rings on ones that are working, but I won’t be buying anymore when standard pic rings are so simple and reliable.

JGRaider

WKR
Being in TX and hunting out west some, maybe 2 lists?

A TX style hunting top 3 and an out west top 3?
Whether it was culling whitetail deer, free range aoudad, sandhills mule deer, or wide open antelope country, these have worked great for me for a while now, and lately.

VX6 2-12x, Tikka 695 7Mag, Optilock mounts, 10+ years, 99% set and forget, rock solid on several trips to Africa, Sonora MX, and TX, OK, and NM.

Athlon Helos 2-12x, McWhorter 7mm08, Sportsmatch. So far so good dialing, holding zero, etc but only 200 rounds or so.

Arken EPL4 6-24x, Sako S20 6.5 PRC, Arken Halo mounts. Only a couple hundred rounds so far on mostly targets (out to 1100 and back) and about a dozen hogs. Performs perfectly so far.

Arken EPL4 4-16x44, Tikka T3 7mm08, Leupold dual dovetail bases, Burris Signature rings. Same as above performance.

Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, Tikka T3X 6.5CM, Sportsmatch. 750'ish rounds, zero issues ever.

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x APLR3, Tikka CTR 6.5CM, Warne rings. 1000'ish rounds, perfect performance, 95% dialing/targets.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Whether it was culling whitetail deer, free range aoudad, sandhills mule deer, or wide open antelope country, these have worked great for me for a while now, and lately.

VX6 2-12x, Tikka 695 7Mag, Optilock mounts, 10+ years, 99% set and forget, rock solid on several trips to Africa, Sonora MX, and TX, OK, and NM.

Athlon Helos 2-12x, McWhorter 7mm08, Sportsmatch. So far so good dialing, holding zero, etc but only 200 rounds or so.

Arken EPL4 6-24x, Sako S20 6.5 PRC, Arken Halo mounts. Only a couple hundred rounds so far on mostly targets (out to 1100 and back) and about a dozen hogs. Performs perfectly so far.

Arken EPL4 4-16x44, Tikka T3 7mm08, Leupold dual dovetail bases, Burris Signature rings. Same as above performance.

Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, Tikka T3X 6.5CM, Sportsmatch. 750'ish rounds, zero issues ever.

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x APLR3, Tikka CTR 6.5CM, Warne rings. 1000'ish rounds, perfect performance, 95% dialing/targets.
Forced to pick one to live with going forward....??