SAAMI Approved Modern .25 cal???

ianpadron

WKR
With some of these long, sleek, .25 cal bullets hitting the market, and all of the Wildcats to push them, I'm wondering if a new cartridge is in the works...

The biggest complaint regarding .277 and .25 cal cartridges has always been the lack of modern twist/bullet combos. Whether that matters or not at typical hunting distances is a whole 'nother convo, but for some of us it certainly does.

After seeing the 6.5 CM and PRC craze, the 6.8 Western come out and appear to be doing fairly well (ton of new factory rifles chambered in it starting this year)...how long until we see a modern .25 cal short action?

I know I'd be all over one. Anyone have some insider information on what Hornady has planned for their 134 grain ELDM...maybe a standardized 25 Creedmoor?

I don’t know if hornady would ever officially release the 25 creedmoor as it kinda muddies the waters around their already existing 6 and 6.5 creedmoors but I’ve got my fingers crossed they do. I would jump on a chance at a factory loaded 25 creed. It’s the only cartridge that makes me want to learn how to handload

B23

WKR
I haven't always been that big of a quarter bore fan but a factory 25 PRC slinging those new 134 ELD-M or Berger 133-135's 3100 would be cool but I don't really see anyone developing a new factory cartridge for only a handful of new bullets.

But, there's no shortage of very easy wildcat cartridges a person could go with that would work great for those new heavy for caliber 25's. A 25 PRC, 25-284, 25 Creedmoor or even a 25 SAUM would all be easy peasy to do and also have available top notch brass to use.

gerry35

WKR
Honestly Winchester should just come out with a 257 Western. At the very least it would cause some of the 6.5 and 7mm guys to have a bird. Seriously though that case might be the perfect size for a magnum 257 bore.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Honestly Winchester should just come out with a 257 Western. At the very least it would cause some of the 6.5 and 7mm guys to have a bird. Seriously though that case might be the perfect size for a magnum 257 bore.
That would be a bad to the bone little cartridge.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That's way to forward-thinking for Winchester:)

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I haven't always been that big of a quarter bore fan but a factory 25 PRC slinging those new 134 ELD-M or Berger 133-135's 3100 would be cool but I don't really see anyone developing a new factory cartridge for only a handful of new bullets.

But, there's no shortage of very easy wildcat cartridges a person could go with that would work great for those new heavy for caliber 25's. A 25 PRC, 25-284, 25 Creedmoor or even a 25 SAUM would all be easy peasy to do and also have available top notch brass to use.
For sure, I just want to see factory rifles chambered in them.

.25s are straight killers, always have been... with modern bullets, I don't think a better 800 yd deer/sheep option would exist.

B23

WKR
That's way to forward-thinking for Winchester:)
Not to mention Winchester has a bad habit of coming out with stuff, often good stuff, then leaving it up to the rest of the industry to support their creations. Best way to put something new to sleep is have Winchester develop/create it.

The folks at Winchester need to sign up for a few classes at Hornady on how to promote and support a new cartridge.

Winchester is a lost cause these days. It’s going to take hornady to saami the 25 creed or prc to get the .257 bore going anywhere in factory rifles. I’m with Ryan, the most exciting thing they could do is make the 257/7prc and duplicate the 257wby in a moden case/twist. A 125grain cx bullet and the 134eldm would be the ticket

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Not to mention Winchester has a bad habit of coming out with stuff, often good stuff, then leaving it up to the rest of the industry to support their creations. Best way to put something new to sleep is have Winchester develop/create it.

The folks at Winchester need to sign up for a few classes at Hornady on how to promote and support a new cartridge.
No shit.

7 or 325 WSM anyone? Great cartridges with no support getting off the ground.

gerry35

WKR
Hornady also came out with the 376 Steyr, 30 TC, 338 Marlin Express, 308 Marlin, 300 and 338 RCM and probably others that they didn't support. They also had a temper tantrum and refused to support the 6.8 Western. They have too much influence on the industry in my opinion.

I agree Winchester does need to market better.

Why does SAAMI matter? There are lots of prefit options, brass, and dies are easy to get. 25s are alive and well for anyone who wants one. Having 25 cal ELDM on the shelf will be a great plus as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Why does SAAMI matter? There are lots of prefit options, brass, and dies are easy to get. 25s are alive and well for anyone who wants one. Having 25 cal ELDM on the shelf will be a great plus as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Because a lot of us don't have the bandwidth to add another all consuming hobby like reloading to the table.

I want to buy a factory rifle that shoots bug-holes with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and be done with it LOL

Whatever happened to the 25WSM?
There was the SAAMI 25 WSSM that under performed, iirc it was slightly better than the 257 Robert’s but a lot less than the 25-06, and a really short fat cartridge that doesn’t feed well.

The 25 WSM would be fast, probably comparable to the 257 weatherby. But it was never SAAMI