Saddle hunters

Kenn1320

FNG
I'm a fan of modified hawk heliums with a single moveable aider. I've tried multi step aiders and will only use one at first stick, but then you have it blowing around at deer level. I have 3 of the jim steps, but they take some getting used to. I use them at the bottom if needed. I'll be getting 1 or 2 more hawks instead this year. I've tried the one stick method, I'm to old and out of shape. A platform is a game changer, don't mess with a ring of steps. My platform and saddle are diy, wear a rch for additional safety.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
@Finch

There's a thread on Saddle Hunter where the Hawk suction cup issue is discussed. Some guys have found that sanding the sharp edge of the male suction cup makes them separate easier. Someone posted a picture of how they rounded the widest part of it. I'll try to find the thread again.

I'm starting to saddle hunt this year and just got my Hawk Heliums in yesterday so I haven't attempted to modify them yet but it'll be the first thing that I do.

Seems like I can never settle on one method....different situations call for different methods. I find myself using 3 EWO sticks with a versa aider most of the time. I also use a 15" EWO stick with a OOAL scout on top and a two step amsteel aider for one sticking. Private land pre sets I use SRT method almost exclusively.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
@Finch

There's a thread on Saddle Hunter where the Hawk suction cup issue is discussed. Some guys have found that sanding the sharp edge of the male suction cup makes them separate easier. Someone posted a picture of how they rounded the widest part of it. I'll try to find the thread again.

I'm starting to saddle hunt this year and just got my Hawk Heliums in yesterday so I haven't attempted to modify them yet but it'll be the first thing that I do.

I'm on the fence if i like them or not. My lone wolfs are stealth stripped and have been faithful to me since the start. I could always add a double step on what will be my top stick to make things easier while installing the platform (which i don't have yet).

Other news, my tethrd phantom saddle came today. I'll be practicing with it. Definitely takes getting used to coming from stands.

I switched to saddle hunting last year. Got the saddle just before season and couldn’t decide on which platform (if any) to go with. I used four muddy pro sticks and a two step aider, I made out of webbing, that I would move up to each stick. 20’ easy. I ended up just using the top stick as my platform and the only issue I had was never being able to stand up on an all day hang. My recommendation, regardless of which method or brand you go with would be to use a double step stick. If anything ever happened to your platform, dropped it from the tree or just forgot to bring it, you wouldn’t be SOL and would have a backup with the stick itself. That being said I’m making the switch to single step/repel this season. “DIY Sportsman”on YouTube has a good video of this method for reference.

Brendan

WKR
Can't remember if I posted my setup here. Been screwing around for two years and this is where I'm at now.

Cut down Hawk Heliums (~20") with lone wolf button and rope mod. Stealth Stripped. I carry 4, but usually 3 gets me plenty high. I'm close to 30' with 4.

3 step moveable aider. You can take it off when you get to hunting height so it doesn't blow around, or just leave it hanging.

Predator platform, Tethrd saddle (not the new one).

I like the double top step. Don't like ring of steps. Wild edge steps have not worked well for me yet, may try them again. Love the platform. But, need to dial in my setup some. I definitely find that I move around more than a hang on, but at the same time, am closer to and behind the tree so that helps.

Finch

WKR
I went to my buddy's house last night. I guess you could say he's the one that convinced me to try saddle hunting. I took my saddle and tried his one stick method (which i balked at when I first heard him mention this method). It honestly isn't that bad. He cut down one of his LW sticks and added double steps to top and bottom. I also got to try his predatot platform which part of me thinks is still too small but I was able to do everything I needed to on it.

I'm still deciding if I want to do a DIY platform (least likely), predator, or wait for the predator XL or the trophyline mission platforms to come about. Just seems like a bigger platform would be beneficial but I don't want to negate any of the benefits of saddle hunting. I'll still be a whole lot lighter than previous years though.

I copied this DIY platform from the saddle hunter forum. If you can find the lone wolf seat for cheaper then you can build this for cheap. I jacked up the holes for the seat to attach to the post, so my platform is a little lower than I really want on the post. I can reorder another post for $6 if it continues to bother me.

Tartan

WKR
This year I will be running SRT for preset trees and sticks for run and gun.

I also carry a small stool and a firstlite leafy(I also added some jute to it) in case a ground set up makes more sense. Not a lot of good climbing trees around me.

with a saddle I don’t feel that I always have to get in a tree just bc I brought it.

rghent

FNG
So this year I'm making the switch to a saddle, I'm wondering what everyone is using for a climbing method?

I run a set of Lonewolf sticks. I some decent hikes on public land so I run an Exo 1800 pack, carry my platform between the frame and the pack and run the sticks strapped to the outside. Worked really well for me.

DrHogfan

FNG
Wild Edge Steps and a Knaider/Swaider climbing aid. 3 steps gets me about 16-18” and that’s plenty for the thickets I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beast sticks and some modded API that are same specs as beast just a little heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetsail

FNG
Hawk helium full length sticks for public and gaffs on private land. Prefer gaffs just takes practice

Yeah looking to run DRT for trees that are appropriate (decent limbs at max of 30 ft). For other situations or new spots in the dark, I just purchased the parts to make a climbing stick similar to the one in G2's recent one stick video (the tethrd prototype). Going to try one sticking and see how that goes.
Last year I used SRT and WE steps for the same purpose.

Finch

WKR
Yeah looking to run DRT for trees that are appropriate (decent limbs at max of 30 ft). For other situations or new spots in the dark, I just purchased the parts to make a climbing stick similar to the one in G2's recent one stick video (the tethrd prototype). Going to try one sticking and see how that goes.
Last year I used SRT and WE steps for the same purpose.

I'm gonna try one sticking as well. I have a full length LW stick I'm going to cut down and add an aider. I've tried it with my buddy's equipment and it's not as bad as I had imagined.

My trophyline mission platform came in the other day. I like a bigger platform because i feel I'll be doing a lot of standing.

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of muddy pro sticks as well as the wild edge steps that I used last year with the wild edge perch. I found myself using the muddy pros more often and will likely use them primarily this fall.

Additionally, I upgraded to the Predator XL platform for this year. I found the perch to be too small especially in the later season while wearing larger insulated boots. The platform tended to slide around a bit within the step that I did not like. Lastly, the perch sets up good for straight trees however, those crooked trees us saddle hunters usually find ourselves in did not work well with the perch.