Saddle hunters?

CBB

FNG
I've heard conflicting reports about how comfortable and uncomfortable saddles truly are. If I used one it would be primarily archery hunting.
I generally pack very light. Bow, knife, grunt tube, binos and fanny pack with a water and snacks in it.
Most of my current sets are hang on with ladder sticks (about 20 total).. and a few ladderstands. We've been using bigger stands with more comfortable seats the last few years but these are impractical for some locations due to distance in.

Carrying a climber is noisy and I just didn't enjoy hunting with them. They always seemed noisy going up the tree.

Can a guy thats 6'2" 255 get comfortable in a saddle? I see quite a few for sale and makes me wonder if it's all its cracked up to be?

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like they’re making them for all sizes now. A lot more options available now then when I started a few years ago. I’m 6’ 210 and I’m extremely comfortable in mine.

Reactions: CBB

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
Join Saddlehunter, tons of well seasoned people on there who love to give advice, I’m very active on there as well, to answer your question quick… yes very comfortable, every reason you described is exactly why I switched to a saddle a few years ago, I have hunted with stands for just over 30 years and will not be going back to a regular stand anytime soon, like everything lately in hunting it’s a huge gear buying event for most people, but it doesn’t have to be, my advice… being your size, I’m a bigger guy too, start with just a saddle and smaller stand and run what we call a hybrid setup, best of both worlds. My back is so screwed up I can’t sit in a normal tree stand much over one hour, saddle I can do several hours no problem and in no pain, just buy a saddle first and nothing else, to see if your going to like it, the classifieds on Saddlehunter will have everything you need.

vthokee

WKR
I took the plunge on the saddle this year. Towards the end of the season I was pushing 245. I hunted comfortably hunting out of one. This year I plan to purchase a platform and may have to buy a new saddle since I have lost about 30lbs. I still have my climber but I highly doubt it will be used anymore. I can be up a tree in 5 minutes if I rush or take my time and be up in 10 minutes. If I draw an elk tag this year I plan to take it with me to sit over a couple water holes.

Will83

FNG
I’m a larger guy and this just caught my eye. Please excuse my ignorance and tell me exactly what a saddle is. I’m from the south and have no clue about this type of setup. Maybe we call it something different here? I’m very interested in a better way of doing things. Thank you in advance for the explanation.

Saddle is extremely comfy once you are used to setting right. My back isn't what it used to be and I prefer it to traditional stands now.

Hall17

FNG
I've heard conflicting reports about how comfortable and uncomfortable saddles truly are. If I used one it would be primarily archery hunting.
I generally pack very light. Bow, knife, grunt tube, binos and fanny pack with a water and snacks in it.
Most of my current sets are hang on with ladder sticks (about 20 total).. and a few ladderstands. We've been using bigger stands with more comfortable seats the last few years but these are impractical for some locations due to distance in.

Carrying a climber is noisy and I just didn't enjoy hunting with them. They always seemed noisy going up the tree.

Can a guy thats 6'2" 255 get comfortable in a saddle? I see quite a few for sale and makes me wonder if it's all its cracked up to be?
I switched in 2020 from a climber. Best decision for me personally. I hunt anywhere from 2 miles in to a 5 min walk, just depends on the spot. I can't tell you how much I like walking in and out without the climber strapped to my back. I will say that with saddle hunting you will most likely try a lot of different stuff out as far as saddles, climbing methods and platforms. Everyone has a different taste so to speak. I always recommend someone giving it a go. Over on saddlehunter.com there is a ton of great information and there are meet ups where you can meet up with a bunch of guys and actually try gear out before you invest. Not sure where you live but I would bet there is a meet up set up already in the state you live in for this Spring

Hall17

FNG
Like @Stoop383 said they make different sizes. I am a 32-33 waist and fit nicely in a Size 1 saddle. I would think a size 2-3 would be good but again if you can sit in one that would be ideal. If not just contact the company you are interested in and they'll fix you up

I like the Cruzr saddles myself. I tried 5 others and nothing was as comfortable as the Cruzr XC for me personally

WoodBow

WKR
Yes they are all they are cracked up to be if you like to be at least semi mobile and flexible. If not just buy a millenium hang on and enjoy your nap.

I think I enjoy scouting more than hunting so I like to be light, quiet and mobile. So much fun to sit a new tree for the first time.

I second the saddle hunter forum. Piles of info and plenty of good guys willing to answer questions. I am on year two, 3rd saddle. I wanted to try some out and I can tell you saddles fit different for different people. If you can find someone local that will let you try theirs out you can narrow it down and save some money. Also, used saddle on saddle hunter are posted weekly and mostly guys just trying to find what fits them so they buy and sell for about the same price.

I found the two piece to be 10x more comfortable than a one piece and found the kite (dryad drey) to be 10x more comfortable than the two piece. But other have said differently. I can comfortable sit in my two piece all day, I can sleep in my dryad drey all day.

Tsurfus

FNG
Join Saddlehunter, tons of well seasoned people on there who love to give advice, I’m very active on there as well, to answer your question quick… yes very comfortable, every reason you described is exactly why I switched to a saddle a few years ago, I have hunted with stands for just over 30 years and will not be going back to a regular stand anytime soon, like everything lately in hunting it’s a huge gear buying event for most people, but it doesn’t have to be, my advice… being your size, I’m a bigger guy too, start with just a saddle and smaller stand and run what we call a hybrid setup, best of both worlds. My back is so screwed up I can’t sit in a normal tree stand much over one hour, saddle I can do several hours no problem and in no pain, just buy a saddle first and nothing else, to see if your going to like it, the classifieds on Saddlehunter will have everything you need.
Hey I saw you had a cimarron for sale on classifieds. I'm interested but can't comment or msg on your post since I'm new here.

RC_

FNG
I find my saddle more comfortable than my hang-ons and about the same as my summit climber. After 5-6 hours I find anything pretty uncomfortable and full day sits in the saddle can wear on you. I'm also a pretty trim 6'1" 195 and have heard that having a "wider seat" (being larger) gives the saddle more to cup (spread out pressure) and can be more comfortable.

I would say it's the portability, compactness, and wider tree selection that are the driving reasons it has become my "go-to" setup when not hunting pre-sets. Weight with 4 LW sticks and platform isn't that much better than my climber but being able to sneak through the woods without a stand clanging off everything is nice and getting up 25+ feet and into the branches is easier.

It's another tool for your tool belt, and a damn good one for the right situations, but it's not going to revolutionize the way you hunt in my opinion, just make certain things a easier.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I can sit from dark to dark with my saddle. A back strap and knee pads can make all the difference. It took some playing around with the bridge and tether heights to make it most comfortable and a kong or ropeman are worth their weight in gold. I’m 6’2 and 230 pounds.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I had to try a couple different styles to get the right fit. Settled on the tetherd phantom. I'm 6-3 225. I prefer saddle over stands now. I really love the security, you are not falling out of the tree with one on, and nobody is gonna steal it either.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I've been archery hunting for two years and jumped into saddle hunting at the same time. I wanted the flexibility of changing spots and not being fixed on only a few tree's if I had preset's. I also did not want to deal with the hassle and bulk of a climber. A light weight hang-on could possibly accomplish the same as a saddle, however with the saddle your always tied into the tree while climbing and in my eyes provided an extremely safe method of getting up a tree.

I began last year using 3 full size hawk helium's and moving an aider as I climbed. While it worked I hated the full size sticks when working my way through brush strapped to my pack. I cut one down last off season and created a "one stick" which I used this past year. I've found for what I want to do the combination of the one stick and the saddle allowed me to get access to wherever I wanted while hunting public.

As far as the saddle is concerned I've been hunting out of the Tethrd Phantom the past two years, but am switching to the Overwatch Transformer. While I was able to be comfortable in the Phantom after a couple of hours I'd be fidgeting with it to try to get it right and remain comfortable. Hip pinch wasn't bad, but I had issues with it riding up even while lowering the tether height. As others have suggested don't be afraid to jump over onto Saddlehunter.com for a wealth of knowledge. I continue to learn new things when it comes to saddle hunting from those guys.

Btaylor

WKR
I find my saddle more comfortable than my hang-ons and about the same as my summit climber. After 5-6 hours I find anything pretty uncomfortable and full day sits in the saddle can wear on you. I'm also a pretty trim 6'1" 195 and have heard that having a "wider seat" (being larger) gives the saddle more to cup (spread out pressure) and can be more comfortable.

I would say it's the portability, compactness, and wider tree selection that are the driving reasons it has become my "go-to" setup when not hunting pre-sets. Weight with 4 LW sticks and platform isn't that much better than my climber but being able to sneak through the woods without a stand clanging off everything is nice and getting up 25+ feet and into the branches is easier.

It's another tool for your tool belt, and a damn good one for the right situations, but it's not going to revolutionize the way you hunt in my opinion, just make certain things a easier.
You can eliminate the sticks if you are willing to spend a little time learning some new hitches and practicing with your ropes. This coming season I will be climbing only on my rappel rope. No metal other than the carabiners that are already being used. One rope and my platform. Light, fast, secure and easy.

RC_

FNG
You can eliminate the sticks if you are willing to spend a little time learning some new hitches and practicing with your ropes. This coming season I will be climbing only on my rappel rope. No metal other than the carabiners that are already being used. One rope and my platform. Light, fast, secure and easy.
Yea, I was considering at the very least going to amsteel daisy chains on the sticks to get rid of the metal buckles and maybe adding an aider or two. A friend just ordered everything to one-stick so I'll probably try that out and see if I like it before spending anything.

I assume you're effectively "one-stepping" but just with your platform instead of a dedicated stick? It's always seemed to me that this method would be slower and more physical than just running up the tree with sticks. Obviously there's trade offs with everything but have you found that to be the case?

Cconrad94

FNG

It’s true they make them for most sizes nowadays. That being said I like the concept but couldn’t get used to it. I’d like to try it again one day if that helps!