Sako S20 6.5PRC Testing

Pulled the trigger on EuroOptic's sale and picked up an S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC. Mounted up the new Maven 1.2 MIL scope as well and took it to the range finally.
IMG_1473.jpg
Rifle functioned great and felt pretty good. Hard to be objective since I'm so used to shooting suppressed - I'll have my can mounted on it soon. Groups tightened up nice around round 30.

Group.jpg

Only concern so far is that I'm getting run-of-the-mill Creedmoor speeds out of it. I'll try some Factory ELD-X as well, but looks like reloading will definitely be on menu. Average speed was only 2735 fps and slightly dropping? Cleaned virgin, after 1, after 4. Will clean again good now at 48.

1706403365287.png

I also bought the camo precision stock and will try that out as well. Overall it's a nice rifle, seems to feed a bit better than my Tikkas (can just toss a round in with the bolt back and it doesn't catch at all.)

OP
swavescatter
Well damn. Tried to switch stocks and adjust the trigger, but the rear bottom torx screw is already stripped out. Sent a warranty request to Beretta, and we'll see what they offer. PITA though to go through all the trouble of re-zeroing and shipping back and forth.

Can't say I'm loving my decision to buy a "premium" Tikka so far...

We'll see what Beretta says. Might just ask for the screw and try to use an easy-out.

Lowhighlander

FNG
Classified Approved
Ha, I picked one up too, mounted a maven and running the same ammo. It’s doing well so far. I got the precision stock. I put a new spring in the trigger.

OP
swavescatter
I was getting 2800 fps out of my 18" creed suppressed with handloads.

Hopefully Beretta can get me taken care of and handloads can wake it up.

Lowhighlander

FNG
Classified Approved
I bought the Norma cause it was about as cheap as brass, going to work up some loads see if I can wake mine up. What load are you planning on?

OP
swavescatter
Not sure. Need to score some more h1000 or retumbo. Planning on running 147's. Will start just under book max and mag length COAL, run till I see 3k fps or pressure signs...

Well damn. Tried to switch stocks and adjust the trigger, but the rear bottom torx screw is already stripped out. Sent a warranty request to Beretta, and we'll see what they offer. PITA though to go through all the trouble of re-zeroing and shipping back and forth.

Can't say I'm loving my decision to buy a "premium" Tikka so far...

We'll see what Beretta says. Might just ask for the screw and try to use an easy-out.

I wonder if the screws are the same as the Tikka action screws (T25)? If so, you could just order a couple from one of the many places that sell Tikka replacement screws.

As for getting the old one out, here are a couple of tricks that I have used in the past.

1. Clamp the gun down tight with the screw head facing upwards, get a torx bit that is slightly oversized (T27) that you don't care if you damage it. Put it in hard plastic handled driver. Put the bit on the screw and give it a good whack with a small hammer. Push down hard and turn it at the same time. It should bite. If it doesn't then tap it some more with the hammer while trying to turn it out.

2. Easy out, which you already mentioned.

3. Drill out the screw head. This one is much easier if you have a drill press. Once the head is gone, you will have enough screw to grab with a pliers.

Is the barrel profile similar to the Tikka? I am assuming that because it is already threaded 5/8-24, it is a bit beefier, like the D18 profle, but I don't want to assume too much.

I am considering the Precision model in 6.5PRC, but would be cutting the barrel back to 20".

That may just be really slow ammo. The thread about downloading the 6.5 prc someone mentions that the factory norma 143 goes 2650 out of their rifle

Lowhighlander

FNG
Classified Approved
Is the barrel profile similar to the Tikka? I am assuming that because it is already threaded 5/8-24, it is a bit beefier, like the D18 profle, but I don't want to assume too much.

I am considering the Precision model in 6.5PRC, but would be cutting the barrel back to 20".

Attachments

• IMG_7373.jpeg
    IMG_7373.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7371.jpeg
    IMG_7371.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
swavescatter
Barrel looks about the same as my Ember in 6.5 CM. Didn't break out the calipers though.
Barrels.jpg

How much did you pay at EuroOptic if you don’t mind me asking? Also, what’s the total weight of your rifle system?

OP
swavescatter
I think they're still on sale for $999.99. Haven't weighed it all yet but about a pound heavier than a T3X...

OP
swavescatter
Update: talked to Beretta and they’re shipping out a screw.

I think I’ll have my gunsmith deal with the screw while they chop the barrel down to the fluted area and time my suppressor adapter/brake.