Salida/ Buena Vista CO general info

Fitzwho

WKR
In addition to Elevation Brewery, Soulcraft is worth a stop.

Coffee - Brown Dog.

My favorite hotel is the Silver Ridge Lodge.

Been a couple years since we made a trip up there, but Moonlight Pizza, Amicas Pizza, and the Boathouse Cantina were solid spots to for a bite.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
If you make it up to Leadville (N of Buena Vista), hit the little Mexican restaurant on the right….cheap, very good food and a free shot of cheap tequila for dessert.

Bluefish

WKR
If you like spirits, woods distillery. Nice public range just north of Salida, turn in at the dump, then hard left.

ChrisA

WKR
All I remember of Buena Vista was back in 2008 we came in to get cleaned up before heading home from archery elk hunting at Buffalo Peaks. After using the public showers we ate at Jan's restaurant. The Huevos Racheros were amazing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Mount Princeton is nice for hot springs so is cottonwood ( little more OG Colorado) my favorite CPW shooting range is in between the two towns, Co has a lot more criminals kicking around these days, but BV and Salida are pretty nice now, Salida has always been a pretty expensive place to live for a long time Kind of an artsy town, but near some of my favorite mountains in the state, enjoy! Second for 50 burgers

h2so4

WKR
In BV we like the following:

DeerHammer distillery, they’ve got great drinks and a well done patio.

House rock kitchen and The blend for food.

Asian palate if you’re lucky enough to be there when they are open or have an event.

Mt. Princeton is good, as previously suggested. St Elmo is a fun little drive, too.

hobbes

WKR
It's been a while but we liked K's Dairy Delight in BV. I think we mostly got ice cream but seems like the burgers were good too.

In Leadville, the best Mexican restaurant is Casa Blanca if it's still open. It's a mom and pop in an old house turned into restaurant. When we ate there last I think the original owners kids had reopened.

Also in Leadville is High Mountain Pies for Pizza.

I didn't ever do much in Salida. It was normally just a drive thru there or a Walmart stop.

It's been a while but we liked K's Dairy Delight in BV. I think we mostly got ice cream but seems like the burgers were good too.

In Leadville, the best Mexican restaurant is Casa Blanca if it's still open. It's a mom and pop in an old house turned into restaurant. When we ate there last I think the original owners kids had reopened.

Also in Leadville is High Mountain Pies for Pizza.

I didn't ever do much in Salida. It was normally just a drive thru there or a Walmart stop.
High mountain pies is the bomb for sure!!! We had a few beers at Two Mile and they were decent. Leadville also has a nice public range. FWIW, Eddyline in BV as I mentioned before, has a pretty decent Spinach artichoke pizza.

Billinsd

WKR
Why do the locals call Buena Vista ‘Be-ew-knee vista’? Is that because, historically most of the visitors were from Texas and that how they pronounce it? How about that Aquamarine gem shop in town? Rich history about the owner’s grandad blading a rode up Mt Antero and the minerals. The owners are from Texas too and quite colorful. I was told in the late 70s that the Mafia had resort houses in Salida is that still the case?

bbrown

WKR
Are you still helping Andrew?
We still guide a few hunts together but his fishing business and float trips have really taken off so thats keeping him busy. We actually just got back from a WY deer hunt - no deer were harmed unfortunately as we didn’t turn up much of any mature bucks after many days, miles and hours behind the glass. Oh well it was still a good trip

ColoradoV

WKR
A great sandwich at Sorrelle's deli in BV and it's owned by @ColoradoV 's family. Hi @cmeadors13

Thanks = yea Sorelle deli is hunter friendly and we just took the last air bnb customer for the season as the snowmobile guys move in soon.. 2bd 2 bath pet and kid friendly 1 block from east main if anyone is looking next summer.

Would have chimed in earlier but been scouting and packing some just amazing bulls out of the hills this year.

Hope ya have a good time in the area.

OP
H
Just a follow up… we ended up camping on the mountain. We did make it in to BV to sorelle’s deli, that was a 10!! We got showers at the community center, that felt like a 10 after a week on the mtn!!! Spent a few hrs checking out BV and the Arkansas. BV could get a man into trouble on the weekend, if you know what I mean 😉. Spent a night in Salida, hit up the gun shop which is a 10. Ate at amicas and Moonlight pizza. Both a 10, the cheese steak and margaritas was a perfect way to celebrate a successful hunt. G and g processing in Salida, 11. Dakota worked with us to get our meat processed quickly and frozen so we could roll a day early. Hit the shooting range before and after the hunt, just for fun…. that was a 10. Wrapped the trip up doing a little trout fishing above Salida and tore up the browns on the Arkansas. Overall, hands down the best hunting trip I’ve been on. Can’t thank all of you who chimed in and gave us a little direction. Once again thank you and best wishes.