Salmon Idaho 2016

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on a hunt with my mom for a rifle elk tag this October. She lives in Post Falls and I am here on the wet side of Washington.
I am just putting out some feelers for any insight on the area(salmon rifle general season). I hunt hard and have had good years the past couple seasons, but its hard to do a weekend run all the way to Salmon and do the trip justice to scout, I plan on taking a couple long weekends to check some areas, but you never know when someone would offer a tip. I would return the favor for any one interested in hunting Washington, even thou its not a real desirable spot to buy out of state tags.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?37781-Idaho-Whitetail&p=415032#post415032
Link to Whitetail I took with her Thanksgiving last year.

My perception on the Salmon area from last seasons Archery hunt, is that the area is heavily hunted and the wolves have taken a toll on the herd. They were very quite last year and seemed few and far between, with hunters everywhere. I do believe the rifle season is even more heavily hunted. Not encouraging words I know but just my take from hunting there for the first time last season.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
The Salmon area is huge and rough. I've hunted it quite a bit; you can get away from others if you get off the roads. Wolves are there, but so are elk.

I bought this tag. My first ever out of state hunt of any type. Fortunately I have a heads up as my buddy has hunted it for 3 years and killed 2 bulls now. I'll be honest my biggest concern was the number of people. He says we will definitely see people but with that being said there are elk. Keep in mind two things. Most people will hunt it Oct 19-23 because thats when Mule Deer is open too, and most people will likely hunt 21 A. Look at some of the other units.

OP
P

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I bought this tag. My first ever out of state hunt of any type. Fortunately I have a heads up as my buddy has hunted it for 3 years and killed 2 bulls now. I'll be honest my biggest concern was the number of people. He says we will definitely see people but with that being said there are elk. Keep in mind two things. Most people will hunt it Oct 19-23 because thats when Mule Deer is open too, and most people will likely hunt 21 A. Look at some of the other units.
Thanks! I am not too worried about people its all right place right time on these OTC tags. I am hoping to hunt a little harder and not be scared of getting a little further out. I will probably be hunting during the busy time since I am hoping to have a mule deer tag in my pocket as well.
I just need to go find a spot where elk are moving around and do some leg work. Hard to do from western Washington, but I think a late summer trip will be in order and maybe a late September scouting trip.

Thanks again!