Satellite Communicator

tdcour

FNG
I've been getting a lot of pressure from the boss lady to be more connected to the family when hunting out of cell signal. Looking into the satellite communicators it seems like most folks lean towards Garmin or Zoleo. Any others I should be looking into? Seems like Spot is another one. Anyone used the ACR Bivy Stick?

I'm mainly just wanting something to message back to the wife that I haven't fallen off the top of the mountain with a good SOS feature that is hard to unintentionally activate.

I've been using the Zoleo for about a year, had the Spot prior to that but when it died I switched to Zoleo and so far its worked great for what I need it to do. Plus its nice to be able to suspend your account when you don't need it, saves a few $$$.

I use the Garmin - the big one. Got a good deal on it. I have really enjoyed having it and have never had issues. There are some flexible subscription plans to use as well.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a Garmin in reach mini since 2019 and it works great. The mini has a gen 2 now that has better battery life and probably a couple other features too

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend a Garmin InReach, they are cheap for subscription and there is an app for your phone to make texting easier. I have run the mini for years now without issues. They are small, durable and the battery lasts a long time as well. Hope this helps.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Garmin InReach Messenger, the one that links to you phone. I used it in Canada and it worked well.

Was nice to be able to let my wife and Mother in law know we were alive once a day so they didn't worry.

Currently zoleo is where it’s at.

Used Garmin and for some reason they faded out and don’t work right (buddy stuck with his Garmin last year and it was unreliable / and I’m a big Garmin fan).

Zoleo used and tested and work’s flawlessly. You won’t be disappointed.

In a few short years everything will be done via phone because of tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammymusi

WKR
I have and used the zoleo last year for about 15 days in Wyoming . Very easy and worked quick. The only thing to remember you will have to sign up for i believe 3 months

Think your best bet for ease of use is Garmin or Zoleo. I went with Zoleo as I found a cheap deal and really like it. Using it for a couple years now and no issues. I used to carry just an ACR beacon but wanted to have additional communication options, particularly when I’m solo. Many years ago I had a spot beacon which worked out great until the one time it didn’t on a backpacking trip in AK and my wife freaked out thinking we died.

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
Consider one that allows you to message even if your phone craps out.
Garmin Inreach mini is the direction I went. I like being able to message and see a screen even if my phone is dead.
Not sure why this hadn't crossed my mind. Maybe because my phone is always in airplane mode and useless where I usually hunt, but that is a good call out. Hard to send a message without a phone unless its just SOS

rcb2000

WKR
Not sure why this hadn't crossed my mind. Maybe because my phone is always in airplane mode and useless where I usually hunt, but that is a good call out. Hard to send a message without a phone unless its just SOS
Not only can you send and type messages without a phone, but you can also still navigate and look at a map.

Had an inreach but sold it and got a Zoleo. I didn’t like the interface of the inreach as much and didn’t need the navigation features as I’m using onX.

The full size Garmin Inreach for me (we have two). Absolutely reliable for us for many years.

Most importantly, it's 100% stand alone GPS device with no requirement to use my phone. That redundancy is important to me. Plus I love tracking messaging, and all the features.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Zoleo on Prime Day, looking forward to giving it a try this season.

Biggest thing for me was being able to suspend the service when not in the back country. From everything I was reading it seems like the interface is easier with the Zoleo, and I already carry a back up hand held GPS if my phone dies so the maps thing isnt a big deal.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Motorola Defy is the newest one to this. The device is $150 and comes with a year of free messaging. One of my buddies is getting one for our next trip. If it works out, I'll probably switch to it.

I use Zoleo and have for a couple years. I've been pleased with it so far. I did message their warranty department about my battery's life, and their response was that I needed a cord. I asked how a cord impacts the longevity of a fully charged battery, but apparently they didn't even know - some very complicated physics or wizardry at work! Their warranty dept is pretty awful, but the device is handy enough. I'll end up getting a new battery for it on Amazon - but, like I said, if that Defy works for my bud, I'll probably switch to that based on cost.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Zoleo on Prime Day, looking forward to giving it a try this season.

Biggest thing for me was being able to suspend the service when not in the back country. From everything I was reading it seems like the interface is easier with the Zoleo, and I already carry a back up hand held GPS if my phone dies so the maps thing isnt a big deal.
I carry a Makita battery with a USB adapter for my phone and ZOLEO. Your Zoleo will only be good for check ins and SOS once your phone dies - I use my phone to navigate and communicate so it'd really suck to lose it.

Ehiggins

WKR
Zoleo user here. No problems, works everytime and more affordable than other options. Clip zoleo to pack and just use your phone to text through Zoleo app. Keep the same zoleo phone number, and $4 a month to suspend service while out of hunting season.

This is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk