Zoleo issues?

Three of us tried to use the Zoleo this year. When we are out in the open and not moving we all noticed that the satellite signal would go to 3 bar down to 1 bar then nothing. Again we were out in the open and not moving. So when we sent a message we would sometimes get it after along time (30 to 40 mins). Some times we didn't get the message until we got cell service. I know satellite is a lot slower then cell but there is no reason for it to loose sat signal. Has anybody else have this issue?

The iridium network, which provides the backend for zoleo, is not quite perfect. However, open flat country is about as good as it gets for connection to it. How are you carrying your zoleo? I came from an in reach, my only complaint so far is the billing.

OP
Y
We were in the mountains but in some open areas when we noticed this. I hooked the unit on the top of my pack so the unit is outside and facing up like they want it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got one and tried it extensively this year. Two things I learned…1 Just put phone into airplane mode because cell signal can randomly be found and the Zoleo likes to default to that causing interruption to satellite connectivity. 2. It does help to keep it slightly towards your front, not directly on top of your shoulder to insure best Bluetooth connectivity. Where I was could have better satellite coverage but I don’t know how to check that.

OP
Y
I just got one and tried it extensively this year. Two things I learned…1 Just put phone into airplane mode because cell signal can randomly be found and the Zoleo likes to default to that causing interruption to satellite connectivity. 2. It does help to keep it slightly towards your front, not directly on top of your shoulder to insure best Bluetooth connectivity. Where I was could have better satellite coverage but I don’t know how to check that.
Thank you for the tips! Did your satellite signal keep changing every couple mins?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the tips! Did your satellite signal keep changing every couple mins?
Yes but didn’t make a measurable difference. Sat was slower than cell but more consistent. I was in what I’d call immediate open terrain meaning on a ridge line but would drop to either side at times and there’s bigger ridglines near by that could affect line of sight. When I got into a canyon it would be hindered but that’s to be expected.

OP
Y
Thank you! I contacted their Customer service and she gave me some things to try. What she gave me is not adding up as I'm not seeing what she wants me to check so I will contact her again and see what happens. Maybe my expectations need to change.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be a bum unit or if everyone experienced the same it could be a more widespread hardware or manufacturing issue. By chance could you compare to an inreach at time? I believe they both use iridium satellites.

OP
Y
Yeah, she said the unit is still under warranty and said they may need to replace it but all 3 of us was having the same issue. No, we don't have an inreach but maybe I can ask around as that would be a good test. Thanks again for the help. I would hate to buy another unit next year but we will see what happens. I was just wondering if other people were seeing the same issue.

The mountains were blocking the signal. They need line of sight to the satellite, and the satellites are always moving very fast. It's normal to get weak contact with a sat, have it get stronger as it gets closer, and then fade out as it moves away. This is more apparent if terrain is limiting your line of sight to a single satellite.