Satellite Communicator

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I've been getting a lot of pressure from the boss lady to be more connected to the family when hunting out of cell signal. Looking into the satellite communicators it seems like most folks lean towards Garmin or Zoleo. Any others I should be looking into? Seems like Spot is another one. Anyone used the ACR Bivy Stick?

I'm mainly just wanting something to message back to the wife that I haven't fallen off the top of the mountain with a good SOS feature that is hard to unintentionally activate.
I like my inreach mini. I can text, send location, has sos and the subscription can be paused until hunting season. About 35 per month for 3 months or whenever I want to activate it. Never had issues with family not receiving anything. Battery is great when used as messenger (I don't track with it)

rideold

WKR
Lots of newer kids on the block that seem to be good. I only have experience with the InReach. I've had mine since 2016ish and bought it when it was still DeLORME. I have the SE version. It's worked every time I've used it and the battery life is more than adequate for a week long hunt. I keep thinking I should get a newer device but then there seems to be all kinds of new stuff coming out so I'm kind of waiting and seeing what the next year brings. As of now I'll buy another InReach unless something else proves more reliable and less expensive to run monthly.

Motorola Defy is the newest one to this. The device is $150 and comes with a year of free messaging. One of my buddies is getting one for our next trip. If it works out, I'll probably switch to it.

I use Zoleo and have for a couple years. I've been pleased with it so far. I did message their warranty department about my battery's life, and their response was that I needed a cord. I asked how a cord impacts the longevity of a fully charged battery, but apparently they didn't even know - some very complicated physics or wizardry at work! Their warranty dept is pretty awful, but the device is handy enough. I'll end up getting a new battery for it on Amazon - but, like I said, if that Defy works for my bud, I'll probably switch to that based on cost.
Just checked these out. For the lower 48, these seem to be very cost effective. Looks like you get 30 messages a month for free with the cost of the unit (until sep 30).

Some key points from the video
-battery life is short compared to others
-looks to have a buggy/glitchy issue with connecting to satellites
-SOS button doesnt have a protective cover

Last edited:

BDRam16

WKR
Based on the replies it seems like I’m the only one running the Spot X. Full keyboard and basically looks like the old blackberries. Have yet to have an issue in either WY or CO. Things I like are being able to use it independently of my phone and it was the only option I could find where you can activate it for one single month and then cancel it without a fee. I do the unlimited messaging for one month and I think with fees and everything it’s $50ish and then I can cancel. About half the price of running some of the other ones with 3+ month minimums.

It was a little finicky to set up initially, but I honestly think it was user error. The USB cord I was using wasn’t a “data” cord so it wasn’t transmitting the info from the computer onto the unit. Once I switched cords it was easy.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Based on the replies it seems like I’m the only one running the Spot X. Full keyboard and basically looks like the old blackberries. Have yet to have an issue in either WY or CO. Things I like are being able to use it independently of my phone and it was the only option I could find where you can activate it for one single month and then cancel it without a fee. I do the unlimited messaging for one month and I think with fees and everything it’s $50ish and then I can cancel. About half the price of running some of the other ones with 3+ month minimums.

It was a little finicky to set up initially, but I honestly think it was user error. The USB cord I was using wasn’t a “data” cord so it wasn’t transmitting the info from the computer onto the unit. Once I switched cords it was easy.
I use the SPOT X as well. I wish I had an inreach because I use other garmin products GPS, fishfinder etc . I wish that spot interfaced better with a map that could be used on the phone like a inreach can. Everyone I know has an inreach so this tends to get more complicated on my end. The spotx is great as a standalone as you said, but it is a little bit bigger in bulk. I’m still using it after about four years, so I guess I should take that into account. It messages reasonably well when there isnt a lot of tree cover. I don’t actually use the app interface that much myself.

Last edited:

OldGrayJB

WKR
I bought the big Garmin (66i) because I thought it would be nice to have a stand alone gps if something happened to my phone. Although the chances of that happening are very slim. I like the 66i, but if I had to replace it, I'd probably buy the Mini. The gen2 Mini has a much better battery than the previous model.

Zoelo user here, super happy with it, and have had no problems. I picked it over Garmin for the dedicated phone number, which makes it easy for anyone to get ahold of me. Using the app makes it nice because I can still send messages when I have cell service using the app so my text thread is continuous and it doesn't charge against my satellite message count. The only downside in my opinion is not having a screen. I don't even take it out of my pack, it just sits in the upper pouch under the toilet paper.