Savage Axis Scope Base Issue

My girls have an Axis youth model 243. When shooting it out to 100 yards it does fine with and occasional flyer that I just attributed to my kids shooting.

We are going to be hunting antelope at the end of September so we have been practicing at 200 yards a lot. I notice they would shoot a couple of good shots and then fire one off 6-8” out of the group. I started shooting the gun and actually was less accurate than they were. I was getting a solid rest and holding the gun steady with my hand on the scope and my shots weren’t grouping well. I’m not a great rifle shot but I was watching the shot break with my crosshairs dead on the dot with a solid rest. I thought I might have an issue with the scope or how it was mounted. I’m a bow hunter so this rifle stuff is foreign to me. I started looking into it and found that the front screw on the front base will not tighten. The base was just rattling around loose. This makes sense as I was getting even worse groups than them when I was griping the scope to steady the gun.

This is the cheap factory scope that comes with the gun and we just started shooting it as is when we got it. Anyway….as you can see in the picture, this screw is tightened down as far as it will go. It seems like the rifle is just not tapped deep enough. All of the other screws will tighten down flush just like the one to the right of the picture.

What’s the best fix other than sending to Savage?

IMG_2705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B
I called Savage and it looks like it is tapped correctly, but it is supposed to have a shorter screw. I'm 99% sure all the screws were the same length so if I confirm that tonight they will send a new screw.