Savage lightweight mods

hadda

FNG
Hey Roksliders,
I have a savage model 16 lightweight hunter with talley rings and a vx3 3.5-10. I'm happy with it for the price but I'm getting the hankering to do some mods. The stock foreend is definitely flimsy, and the bolt is very stiff. Have any of yall done any mods to this rifle or similar that you were particularly happy with or that you felt were good bang for the buck/weight ratio?

Happy hunting.

letrbuck

WKR
I chopped my forend, which made it stiffer and I think looks better with the short barrel. For the bolt lift, Google "savage bolt lift kit" there are kits you can buy or you'll find some DIY stuff also 20190515_174941.jpg

Attachments

• 20180527_192423.jpg
    20180527_192423.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180429_185555.jpg
    20180429_185555.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 76

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey Roksliders,
I have a savage model 16 lightweight hunter with talley rings and a vx3 3.5-10. I'm happy with it for the price but I'm getting the hankering to do some mods. The stock foreend is definitely flimsy, and the bolt is very stiff. Have any of yall done any mods to this rifle or similar that you were particularly happy with or that you felt were good bang for the buck/weight ratio?

Happy hunting.

It’d be hard to find someone that’s shot more rounds through Savages than I, and I have several buddies that have put in a lot of work on LWH’s... it ain’t worth it. There’s nothing you can do to correct all the little issues that you want to mod. They never end, and you end up with more time and energy than they are worth.

Every one that has went down this path that I know with LWH’s have ended up regretting not just buying the rifle they wanted to begin with. Most, just end up getting a Tikka and being done.

pullit

FNG
I'm a fan of messing with guns, and I was looking at a Savage because of the options out there for one.
That being said, after all the cost were added up, I just bought a Tikka like was suggested above.
This is in no way saying anything bad about Savage, but it was pure cost issue. If you could find a screaming deal on everything you wanted, then maybe.
This is just my $.02

Fatcamp

WKR
I like Savage rifles.

Current project. KIMG1812.JPG

Thinking about cutting down the forend now. 😀

It now has a darker factory stock, and due to fogging up a new 3-9X40 Vortex Viper.

Probably finish it up Monday. Cut the barrel down to 20" but put on a tactical handle, sooooo, no gain. Easier to cycle with gloves.

prm

WKR
I’m a Savage fan in general. I have a 10FP in 308 I love. I wish everyone made it so easy to change barrels. But for a true lightweight, they simply can’t compare to an 84M or Fieldcraft and their actions and bolt that are designed smaller. If you’re happy with a lighter version of a regular rifle the Savage is fine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like my savage light weight hunter 223 but it’s not a project gun, it’s a cheap throw around rifle that I can take out camping and rafting and driving around on dirt roads and toss it in boats. It’s good for that.

Get rid of it and buy a lighter rifle if ur gonna waste more time and money then a hacksaw and epoxy and flip flop

Savages are what they are.. good shooting not stupid heavy rifles.