Savage or winchester

howl

WKR
I'm not a Savage fan, but this might be arrow vs injun. 75 yards on a heart shot is not uncommon even with a .300WM. Most of the deer I have killed with one went about fifty, due to bullet choice and shot placement. I never worried about finding one due to bullet construction and shot placement. The question is did you get a good blood trail? Will a 150gr .277 Ballistic Tip or Fusion not give as good a blood trail as the same in 165gr .300WM? I know the answer for 270 WSM but not Win. The 300 is a little better. Not enough for me to still use one, though.

I personally have a hard time remembering when a gun has a safety in a different location. The Winchester is the better rifle overall, but the safety is different. Standardizing controls makes me faster. If you intend to keep using the Savage, perhaps this is worth considering. If you're going to the new gun all the time: Winchester.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I would get the savage, but for me guns are a tool, and their job is making holes that are really close together.

I bought a model 70 fwt a couple years ago. Love the look of it, action is smooth, fit and finish seem great, but accuracy wise it's the most inconsistent gun I have. I haven't given up on it yet, but I'm getting close.

BjornF16

WKR
For heart/lung shots, there is enough oxygen in brain and muscles for critters to run for a bit...50-100yds not uncommon.

If you want to drop in tracks, there are bullet options and placement options that will provide that effect without necessarily changing calibers.

Changing the cartridge wouldn’t have changed the result. Neck or high shoulder to drop it otherwise be prepared to walk a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk