Savage Switchback

nmarchr

FNG
So back in March I purchased a 6.5 prc from Sportsmans Warehouse. Well that thing would not shoot at all. Literally would not group. I tried everything you could think of to get it to shoot, and finally sent it back to savage. Well about 2 weeks ago savage called me and said that they couldn't figure out why the gun wouldn't shoot, so they were sending me a brand new one. Well I picked up the new gun on friday and took it to the range on saturday. Guess what, this gun aint much better. I tried different scopes, different ammo, had my son and my father in law shoot it, and same crappy results. I brought my savage 6.5 creedmoor and my browning x bolt to shoot and both of those guns shoot sub moa. has anyone else had this same experience with this rifle? Anyone want to buy a savage switchback in almost brand new condition? Im super frustrated.

SloppyJ

WKR
What kind of ammo did you try in it? Although not the popular opinion, most savages that I've shot from the cheapest to the most expensive have all been more accurate than the price tag leads you to believe.

OP
N

nmarchr

FNG
I've tried hornady eldx 143, eldm 147, berger classic hunter 130, vldm 140, and EOL 156, nothing worked.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'd say you gave it a fair shot. Wonder if the headspace is messed up? Hell, send it back again. I'd rule out the scope first though if you haven't.

Unckebob

WKR
The stocks on the Switchbacks are flimsy. I bought mine that way because I planned on dropping it in a chassis. It shoots greater.

Later, I took my 6.5CM barrel Savage High Country's anction out of its stock and dropped it in the switchback's stock. I was interested in possibly using the lighter Switchback stock.

I know for certain that the barreled action shoots well. It shot like shit in the Switchback stock. Experiment over.

OP
N

nmarchr

FNG
So savage sells a gun that you have to replace the stock on to get it to shoot? Thanks a lot savage!

Horseman

Lil-Rokslider
Is there better Savage stock that is a bolt on? IIRC their accustock has an aluminum internal mounting plate.

Unckebob

WKR
Is there better Savage stock that is a bolt on? IIRC their accustock has an aluminum internal mounting plate.

Yes. I like the AccuStock very much. It is rock steady for me and I was able to change the fit to match my T-Rex arms.

The only thing I would say is to make sure you get one inlet for the barrel. Mine would probably fit the SeitchBack's heavy barrel, but I am not 100% sure.

I haven't tried one, but Boyd's laminate stocks are supposedly very good.

Horseman

Lil-Rokslider
My Savage Switchback, 350 legend, barrel measures .860" at the end of the stock (NOT end of barrel).
So, I think a varmint stock would be required.
What else will I need? My bolt release is in the trigger guard. I heard bottom metal. Is this just for the magazine? Or also the trigger guard?
I also heard you need a different barrel nut and recoil lug.

Any aftermarket recommendations? Maybe Hogue 11100, or 11102

Unckebob

WKR
My Savage Switchback, 350 legend, barrel measures .860" at the end of the stock (NOT end of barrel).
So, I think a varmint stock would be required.
What else will I need? My bolt release is in the trigger guard. I heard bottom metal. Is this just for the magazine? Or also the trigger guard?
I also heard you need a different barrel nut and recoil lug.

Any aftermarket recommendations? Maybe Hogue 11100, or 11102

This a good video on how the Social Regressive used a Boyd's stock to build an inexpensive LR rifle. Most of his advice would apply to your situation.

Are you going for lightweight or as stiff as possible?

The Accustocks are not that heavy and work really well. On my High Country, I feel zero need to change it. If you call Savage, they will tell you exactly what you need to switch.

Oryx Chassis by MDT are a good deal and they usually have a crazy Black Friday sale.

As for the Hogue stocks, I cannot say. I have heard good things about them.

Great Resource: Northland Shooter Supply usually has some take offs for sale cheap. I am pretty sure you will need different bottom metal and magazine but it should be easy to source. A lot of new Savage go into Chassis. The people who run the store are very easy to deal with. He may be able to help you with the bottom metal & magazine.

Ebay: $99 shipped Varmint AccuStock

Horseman

Lil-Rokslider
I am only looking for possible options if my rifle does not group, like the original poster. So stffer, not lighter.
Now I need to find out if there is a stock difference for top bolt release and bottom.
The NSS and eBay stock are top bolt release. I have a bottom bolt release.

Unckebob

WKR
I am only looking for possible options if my rifle does not group, like the original poster. So stffer, not lighter.
Now I need to find out if there is a stock difference for top bolt release and bottom.
The NSS and eBay stock are top bolt release. I have a bottom bolt release.

The good news is you have options.