New rifle recommendations

Hey all. I’m looking to get some advice on a new rifle. I have a savage 30-06 now and am wanting to add another. I was initially thinking a 6.5 prc, but want to get others’ opinions on what the other should be. I live and hunt in the west and ideally want something that can kill deer, bear, and elk. And maybe shoot some longer distance than the 300 yards u shoot at the range. Let me know what you think.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 suggestions. #1 I'm a big 6.5PRC fan. And with the right bullet it can take any of those above animals at 300yds. #2 My other suggestion is 28 Nosler or 7PRC I personally own a 28 Nosler and shoot 180gr Berger VLD out of it. It's a great all around cartridge for hunting the West.

Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. Kills Elk past 700 yds and bangs steel past 1,000 yds. Better barrel life and more shootable than the PRC. Cheap and available ammo.

Or just get a Tikka 223 and kill elk out to 500 yds with 77 TMK's.

These are you only choices. Mods please close this thread.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a tikka 6.5 Manbun for this very same reason. I plan to hunt deer, elk, moose, bear, and sheep with my new build. Cutting barrel to 18” and threading for suppressor and/or break. Changing stock to rokstok.. and adding a Swfa 3-9 HD. If I do the work the rifle will be a killer with low weight/ recoil. That’s what I got in the works. My 2c for you as well!

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Here would be my options in order. These are rifles I've owned, reloaded, and shot myself. With that said many other calibers available outside this list and this is personal opinion of what i would shoot for what you're looking to do with this rifle.
-7 PRC
-300 WM
-300 PRC
-28 Nosler
-7 RM

I haven’t read the whole 223 thread but,…. You’re kidding right??
Not at all. Keep the 77gr TMK above 1800 fps and you're golden.

My boy killed his first muley buck with Black Hills factory 5.56 TMK's at nearly 600yds. A bit too far in my opinion as velocity was closer to 1600 fps, and it did take two shots instead of one. And it stumbled 5 yds.

So yeah, let's say 450yds for margin with factory ammo.

nobody

WKR
I love when barrel life is spoken about. How many people are actually going to shoot their hunting rifle that much?
Welcome to Rokslide new guy. The more time you spend here, you’ll notice a pattern: most of us are shooting milder recoiling cartridges, pushing match bullets at moderate velocities, and are replacing barrels on a semi-regular basis. We shoot our hunting rifles often, no different than you do (I assume) with your bow.

Just an example of one, but I purchased a new Tikka 6.5 creed in February earlier this year. It’s one of the cerakoted models, and is now my primary hunting rifle. Current round count is approximately 1500 rounds. I currently have a replacement barrel in my safe ready to spin on, and if I continue shooting at the current rate I am with that rifle, I’ll throw that barrel on around next Christmas. When I put it on, I’ll order another replacement to have sitting in the safe ready to go when the time comes.

Many other guys on here do the same. But we also aren’t shooting 300 PRC’s and 28 noslers either. We shoot our hunting rifles often and in field positions, throughout the year, in preparation for fall.

Outside rokslide, I’d say your assumption is correct: most guys aren’t shooting their hunting rifles much. But then again, Rokslide is a niche of its own, so most of us don’t conform to the “norm” so often spoken about at gun counters across the country.

Again, welcome to Rokslide. You’ll quickly learn we do things a bit different here. Kick off your boots, crack open a cold one, and stay awhile 👍

I love when barrel life is spoken about. How many people are actually going to shoot their hunting rifle that much?

I replace 2-3 barrels a year. And all I do with my rifles is hunt and practice hunting (i.e. shooting). Same thing with my bow. I shoot 5-10 arrows just about every day I am home, and every time I go to the range, I am putting 2-300 rounds downrange.

That may be a lot for some, but that is pretty average for the folks I hang out with.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Rokslide new guy. The more time you spend here, you’ll notice a pattern: most of us are shooting milder recoiling cartridges, pushing match bullets at moderate velocities, and are replacing barrels on a semi-regular basis. We shoot our hunting rifles often, no different than you do (I assume) with your bow.

Just an example of one, but I purchased a new Tikka 6.5 creed in February earlier this year. It’s one of the cerakoted models, and is now my primary hunting rifle. Current round count is approximately 1500 rounds. I currently have a replacement barrel in my safe ready to spin on, and if I continue shooting at the current rate I am with that rifle, I’ll throw that barrel on around next Christmas. When I put it on, I’ll order another replacement to have sitting in the safe ready to go when the time comes.

Many other guys on here do the same. But we also aren’t shooting 300 PRC’s and 28 noslers either. We shoot our hunting rifles often and in field positions, throughout the year, in preparation for fall.

Outside rokslide, I’d say your assumption is correct: most guys aren’t shooting their hunting rifles much. But then again, Rokslide is a niche of its own, so most of us don’t conform to the “norm” so often spoken about at gun counters across the country.

Again, welcome to Rokslide. You’ll quickly learn we do things a bit different here. Kick off your boots, crack open a cold one, and stay awhile 👍
Yes definitely new to me. What kind of shooting are you doing? Bench rest? Long range? 100 yard range? Also do you handload?

nobody

WKR
Yes definitely new to me. What kind of shooting are you doing? Bench rest? Long range? 100 yard range? Also do you handload?
Field and positional (IE positions applicable to hunting scenarios) out to 1k in mountainous terrain, in any and all weather and atmospheric conditions.

Lots of us hand load, but we don’t make a science of it. I still buy big batches of factory ammo from time to time from the same lot and shoot away at distance. Lots of guys here are doing the same.

We are concentrating on killing game. We don’t worry about bumping charge weights by 1/10th grain increments or changing seating depths by 5 thou at a time. We need true and actual 1.25 MOA rifle systems, then we practice with those systems in real world conditions and get really familiar with their performance.

huntnful

WKR
6.5 PRC would be a great next cartridge. Great components if you decide to hand load also. Velocities aren't great with factory ammo so I'd error on the 24" barrel side. The factory ammo, 147 ELDM will kill anything out to 600 yards pretty well.

I've had four 6.5 PRC's, two 28 Noslers, and four 300 Norma Mag Improved rifles. For what your asking, the 6.5 PRC is good to go.