New rifle recommendations

CoMulies

FNG
Ethics are definitely personal.

Sure. But “one or two steps” for an elk is several feet and the difference between hitting vitals and blasting them in the guts or worse. A .30 cal is not going to save that elk from a day + of misery or you from not recovering the animal.

Article 4

WKR
Sure. But “one or two steps” for an elk is several feet and the difference between hitting vitals and blasting them in the guts or worse. A .30 cal is not going to save that elk from a day + of misery or you from not recovering the animal.
Disagree. My personal experience has shown me it can.
That aside. Let’s stay on task here and help someone pick a caliber. Anything in the class of calibers we are discussing will outperform the venerable and respectable 30-06

fmyth

WKR
I don't like 6.5s on bear. I like bigger holes on something as covered in fat/hair as a bear. If you reload, the 28 Nosler is an unbelievable performer. If you don't, it's real hard to beat the 7 & 300 PRC for factory ammo quality/options/availability.
Does an extra .0196" in bullet diameter really make that much of a difference?

Maverick1

WKR
I don't like 6.5s on bear. I like bigger holes on something as covered in fat/hair as a bear. If you reload, the 28 Nosler is an unbelievable performer. If you don't, it's real hard to beat the 7 & 300 PRC for factory ammo quality/options/availability.
You think that extra ~ 1 mm really makes any difference?

Hey all. I’m looking to get some advice on a new rifle. I have a savage 30-06 now and am wanting to add another. I was initially thinking a 6.5 prc, but want to get others’ opinions on what the other should be. I live and hunt in the west and ideally want something that can kill deer, bear, and elk. And maybe shoot some longer distance than the 300 yards u shoot at the range. Let me know what you think.
300 rum…

JGRaider

WKR
Disagree. My personal experience has shown me it can.
That aside. Let’s stay on task here and help someone pick a caliber. Anything in the class of calibers we are discussing will outperform the venerable and respectable 30-06
You've done a good job of kidding yourself......problem is nobody here with any experience at all is buying it because it's a ridiculous position you take.

bmart2622

WKR
Okay cool. Yeah you must just be misinterpreting what I’m saying. I read my last post and can’t explain it any clearer than that. Sorry man.
In one post you say more drag gives you higher velocity and then in another you say literally the exact opposite, that less drag gives you more velocity

huntnful

WKR
In one post you say more drag gives you higher velocity and then in another you say literally the exact opposite, that less drag gives you more velocity
No. Same bullet, same charge weight, as the throat cracks, it creates more resistance and pressure and will make THAT SPECIFIC round go faster.

If you change to an entirely different bullet with a shorter bearing surface, you will generally be able to add more powder and make that bullet go faster than the longer bearing surface bullet.

huntnful

WKR
Does the bullet with less bearing surface go faster because of less resistance or more powder?
Technically from more powder. Because if you loaded it with the same charge weight it would go slower in most cases. Here’s a real example that I shot first hand that might help.

225 ELDM 85gr. H1000 2950fps
208 ELDM 85gr. H1000 2900fps.

But the 208 isn’t at pressure at that charge weight. So if I take it up to pressure, which is 89gr. H1000, it goes 3100fps