Scared to move on from my Jetboil?!

backcountry_hunter

for those that left a jetboil for a pocket rocket did you notice a major, disproportionate use in fuel? I went with a PR2 this year (1st year leaving the beloved jetboil) and was close to burning through a 250 in a 5 day hunt. Burning once in the morning and once at night. Seemed like about 2x's as much as a JB, maybe more even....

AK Troutbum

for those that left a jetboil for a pocket rocket did you notice a major, disproportionate use in fuel? I went with a PR2 this year (1st year leaving the beloved jetboil) and was close to burning through a 250 in a 5 day hunt. Burning once in the morning and once at night. Seemed like about 2x's as much as a JB, maybe more even....
That sounds about right. I did a bunch of testing a couple years ago, comparing fuel consumption of the JB SOL, MSR PR, BRS 3000T, and SOTO Amicus (using a Toaks 650 pot for the PR, BRS, and Amicus). Although my testing wasn't super scientific, I did it in a controlled setting with everything being as equal as I could make it. Testing was done in my kitchen, using the exact amount of water (16 oz.), and starting off temperature of the water. I used the same new fuel bottle for each test and weighed the bottle before and after each test. Once the water was brought to a rolling boil, the fuel was turned off and the bottle was weighed prior to removing it from the particular stove. The after test wt. of the particular set up that I was using was deducted from the initial wt. of that set up, in order to get the amount of fuel, in grams, that was burned. I can't remember the exact numbers (although I do have them written down somewhere), but the Jetboil SOL was almost twice as efficient as the other three, which were all pretty close, but the second most efficient was the Amicus.
When I did my testing, I also recorded times it took to bring to a boil, but efficiency was my biggest concern. I found that when the stoves were turned up the highest/hottest (not including the JB), the boil times would go down a little, but the fuel consumption would be greatly increased. So, keeping the flame down a little, and having it take a minute or so longer to bring to a boil, is definitely worth the several grams of fuel savings IMO.

backcountry_hunter

^^^^thank you for that. I thought something was maybe wrong with mine but doesn't look that way.

I don't mind the boil times. Typically at night I'm in no hurry but do worry about the PR2 on a lengthy trip with only 1 can of fuel.