Scent Killer...who uses it?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use it at all, but there are a $hitload of companies making a killing selling and advertising it. Someone must be using it. I don't know if it works or not, but I am not packing around extra weight in the backcountry for something when I can get the same results as hunting with the wind in my face.

R

rebecca francis

I don't use scent killer either, but I have been known to rub elk poop on my pants and and rub fresh elk pee on my pack. Not sure if it works, but I have gotten right in the middle of elk many times.

Swede

WKR
I camp bathe or shower daily, and wash critical areas using an unscented (Ivory) soap before each trip to my tree stand. I wash my clothes in Arm & Hammer detergent with no ultra violet brighteners. I often rub on a little natural (pine, juniper or sage) scent on my camo. I don't like camp fire smoke as a cover scent as it stinks to me. And yes I use scent killer. I think this reduces my human scent level. I have had deer, bear, cougar and elk come by shortly after I climb into my tree without becoming alarmed. Is all of that really necessary? I don't know, but why risk it?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wash my clothing in scent free soap and use no scent deodorant, but I can't see using scent killer on a backpack hunt.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used to think it mattered. Spent way too much on a new bottle or two every season and it made no difference whatsoever. I will use scent free soaps and deodorant but don't worry about spraying down anymore.

wapitibob

WKR
I always watch the wind but when your less than 50 yards from them at 9:00 in the morning when it's starting to swirl, it's just not enough. I'm going to follow Ulmers tips that were in Elk Hunter mag.

Swede

WKR
If the cost of scent killer is too much, why not make your own. There are several concoctions that are shown on the internet, but the main ingredients are pretty much the same. To make a batch of the stuff use 16 oz hydrogen peroxide, 3/4 cup baking soda, 1 oz unscented green soap (Hunters Specialities) and 16 oz distilled or spring water. Store the stuff where it will not be in the sunlight.

cmeier117

WKR
Nope I don't but hunted with a guy 3 years ago that just about didn't let me leave the truck until I sprayed myself with his scent killer!!

McFly83

FNG
I use dry wipes that you add water to and they expand. It beats carring heavy baby wipes arounds to wipe yourself down. Its impossible to completely cover the human scent, but I do wash my clothes in scent free laundry soap and store them in a plastic bag. I used to store sage brush in the bag with the clothes, but now I just put a little elk urine on me when I'm hunting (both for deer and elk). I figure it can't hurt and I'm willing to try anything to improve my odds a little. Why wear merino if scent is not a worry, synthetic blends wick a little better and are half the price? I wear merino just to keep the funk at bay.

Great Thread.

I honestly do not know how you can cover/eliminator the human scent trekking the mountains. However, I have been seeing a lot of good stuff on Black by Trophy Quest. It is a chemical you use in your washer (during the fabric softner cycle) that bonds to your camo to prevent it taking in scent (sweat, etc..)

I figure it is more for the whitetails hunters that have a coffee at the local choke&puke and get gas in their boots just before hitting their cozy box blind....hahahahahah

It is all hype...all marketing...$$$$$

ckleeves

WKR
A bottle of scent killer is a must have for elk hunting. You can peel the label off and use it for TP if you run out and you can also dump the bottle out and use it to store water! Kinda an expensive water bottle, but still worth more than scent killer.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Used to several years ago, as of now I just wash my cloths and use no sent deordorant..

RUTTIN

WKR
I always wash my clothes in a UV killer. I always pack a scent free deodorant, more so I am not smelling myself. And am now a firm believer in merino wool, after wearing it for a month straight, hiking the hills and there is no smell in them. I also go to the extreme and hang a cow elk urine wafer in my truck so that I don't get any foreign smells on my way to the trail head. The wife won't ride with me anywhere, but that's a price I pay to hunt elk!

ElkNut1

WKR
I do not take any unordinary precautions in cleanliness than I do for everyday activities! No scent stuff for me, I hunt the wind & will back out when it becomes unpredictable!

ElkNut1

Drelk

FNG
Every time I hear on a certain tv show "LOOK AT THIS DOWNWIND BUCK" it makes me laugh out loud.

I don't know how many parts per million of human scent an elk can smell. But I has to be about 1ppm and they r gone

phantom16

FNG
I wash my clothing in scent free soap and use no scent deodorant, but I can't see using scent killer on a backpack hunt.

I do the same. I think it's more psychological (for me) than anything else. I do avoid any scented cleanliness products while hunting. I use scent free toothpaste or baking powder, and, scent free hand sanitizer.. Nothing covers human scent. If the wind shifts, big brown is gone :)

i wash my clothes in scent free soap and put them in an air tight container with baking soda. i also wash myself with sent killer soap and have a sham wow that has been washed in scent killer that i keep in a zip lock bag to dry myself with. i used to use the spray but ive been winded with and without it so i dont use it any more.i do like to rub my clothes and pack with dirt and leaves near where im hunting. to smell a natural as possible. but most important is knowing your wind.