Scent removal

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I bought a few pieces of clothing from a fella and they have a strong smell of fabric softener or laundry detergent. I have tried washing them in scent free detergent, letting them sit outside in the trees and dirt, air drying outside after washing, a few tricks I've read, but noting seems to work. Anyone have any tips or ways of getting that smell out? Thanks.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I bought a few pieces of clothing from a fella and they have a strong smell of fabric softener or laundry detergent. I have tried washing them in scent free detergent, letting them sit outside in the trees and dirt, air drying outside after washing, a few tricks I've read, but noting seems to work. Anyone have any tips or ways of getting that smell out? Thanks.
I’d wear them and use them until the smell goes away. If the deer smells the detergent he’s smelling your breath, your BO, what you had for breakfast, etc. The smell will fade.

Titan

WKR
I have had some luck with scent removing detergents that are made for hunting. But there are some smells that even after 5-6 washes, the smell is still there.

OP
I Am Gunz

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I do not have access to an ozone machine.

You aren't wrong about the deer and critters smelling all of the other what nots from my person, I was just trying to help the process along.

I tried a couple different detergents and it seemed to help a touch, but very minimal.

I will have to try the vinegar soak. Won't hurt to try.

I have let them air dry outside after washing them, next time I will try for more direct sunlight.

Thanks for all of the input fellas. Great community we have here.

dtrkyman

WKR
Ozone only removes natural odors formed from bacteria.

Maybe soaking them will work but as stated if a deer/elk smells your clothes he/she smells you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might try putting them in a cardboard box with some dirt/ leaves/ pine boughs, etc. for a day or so & let those scents take the place of the detergent. Then wash in unscented detergent

mi650

WKR
Hey OP, is your washer 'contaminated' with regular laundry soap? We start using hunting soap & dryer sheets about 2 weeks before deer season and use nothing but until the season ends. Maybe I'm over doing it, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Yoder

WKR
I wash all my hunting clothes in regular detergent and fabric softener. I don't think it matters.

I wash all my hunting clothes in regular detergent and fabric softener. I don't think it matters.

The scent topic is debatable but that fabric softener is undoubtedly hard on technical clothing. Clothes will break down faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I Am Gunz

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey OP, is your washer 'contaminated' with regular laundry soap? We start using hunting soap & dryer sheets about 2 weeks before deer season and use nothing but until the season ends. Maybe I'm over doing it, but it doesn't hurt anything.
I'm not going to say its not per se, but I do also do multiple loads of non-scented before I wash the clothes that I want to be scent free. Pretty much along the same lines as you through deer season. These pieces had the detergent/fabric softener scent when I received the package from the seller.

I have always hated the gross artificial scent of those fabric sheets. I don't know why people buy them. We haven't used them in probably a decade.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Vinegar wash, baking soda wash, sunshine and airing, smoking, locking down in an airtight tub with a ton more baking soda left outside for months...

220, 221 ... Whatever it takes ...

I once had four cats trapped in my Bronco for three days in a hurricane with a lot of of my hunting gear inside, so ask me how I know .... LOL

mi650

WKR
I'm not going to say its not per se, but I do also do multiple loads of non-scented before I wash the clothes that I want to be scent free. Pretty much along the same lines as you through deer season. These pieces had the detergent/fabric softener scent when I received the package from the seller.
I caught that, but was wondering if maybe your machine was adding to it. In that case, I'm out of ideas. You're doing everything I would do.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tide or All uncented hypoallergenic detergent works just as well as the hunting specific detergent and is cheaper.