Preferred mount for SWFA 6x42 on AR-15

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
What is your preferred mounting system for a SWFA 6x42 MQ going onto an AR-15? I received my backorder from SWFA and have a 6.5 Grendel upper that needs an optic.

I have seen a few pictures of ARs on this forum with picatinny riser bases and then 30mm rings on top of that. This seems like more weight and bulk than a cantilever mount, but maybe less risk of movement and zero shifts? I haven't seen any make/models listed so I am not sure how to achieve that setup without some trial and error.

I have an Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5x24 on a service rifle in a DNZ 321FPT that has worked well for across the course match style shooting. I may get another one of the same DNZ mount unless there is a better option. The mount height is 1.38" and is cantelivered forward 3.8". What mounting height do you like on an AR with an SWFA 6x?

Is there a Rokslide go-to mounting setup for SWFAs on the AR platform like there is for the Tikka with Sportsmatch or UM rings?

Pictures would be especially helpful!

The cantilever style mount is a great choice. I would not go any higher than 1.5ish (you'll often see manufacturers do 1.54ish as a standard height for these style mounts). Any higher and you may get some muscle strain when shooting prone.

ADM, Larue, Reptilia, Geissele, Badger Condition 1, and Nightforce all make these style of mounts that are very well regarded. If you plan on adding an offset or top mounted red dot in the future, you may want to consider which brand of mounts have the ability to scale, as some of them offer top ring replacements to mount red dots, levels, etc.

No experience with the DNZ.

All of that being said, I would skip the riser base with rings if it were me. Just more points to torque and added layers of unnecessary complexity. You may also end up down a rabbit hole trying to figure out ring heights.

The Grendel is a fantastic round. Is this going to be a hunting rig?

seand

Lil-Rokslider
1.5” pic rings if you can get the scope position right. Photo below is a SWFA 3-9 with 1.5” NF rings. I’d rather cantilever a bit of the front of the scope off the rings then use a cantilever mount with a short base gripping the pic rail.
IMG_1925.jpeg

I’ve also got one with a wyolok rail bridging the handguard/receiver med pic rings. 0.5” base +1”h rings =1.5”. That works really well but is much heavier and I wouldn’t use it unless your handguard positively locks to the receiver, non std AR type upper
IMG_1926.jpeg

I’ve never put their durability to the test in any extreme way, but I’ve had good experiences with the Aeroprecision ultralight mounts on my ARs. Something to take a look at.

I like the brownells cantilever, appears to just be a rebranded warne to me, beefy screws and 1/2 nuts for the rail screws, large engagement area.

I can usually find them pretty cheap with sales or on the used market when people toss them from lpvo combo deals

On a 15 you're going to need cantilever or you'll have your ocular too far back and negatively affect eye relief, length of pull, cheek weld, or a combo of all three.

Stick with 1.5" unless you want to use a riser.

Grabbed a leupold mount because thats what the local shop had. It works. 3-9x on the grendel

I have got away with just normal rings with a 1-6x. But anything else needed the cantilever style mount for it to work for me.

20230630_193958.jpg

Loper

WKR
Grabbed a leupold mount because thats what the local shop had. It works. 3-9x on the grendel

I have got away with just normal rings with a 1-6x. But anything else needed the cantilever style mount for it to work for me.

View attachment 571066
Good looking rifle. I'm assuming that isn't a factory option from Ruger and you just modified it.

OP
TheM1DoesMyTalking

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
The cantilever style mount is a great choice. I would not go any higher than 1.5ish (you'll often see manufacturers do 1.54ish as a standard height for these style mounts). Any higher and you may get some muscle strain when shooting prone.

ADM, Larue, Reptilia, Geissele, Badger Condition 1, and Nightforce all make these style of mounts that are very well regarded. If you plan on adding an offset or top mounted red dot in the future, you may want to consider which brand of mounts have the ability to scale, as some of them offer top ring replacements to mount red dots, levels, etc.

No experience with the DNZ.

All of that being said, I would skip the riser base with rings if it were me. Just more points to torque and added layers of unnecessary complexity. You may also end up down a rabbit hole trying to figure out ring heights.

The Grendel is a fantastic round. Is this going to be a hunting rig?
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I'm building this upper for hunting. An offset red dot could be helpful for black bear hunts up close and in marginal lighting.

OP
TheM1DoesMyTalking

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
1.5” pic rings if you can get the scope position right. Photo below is a SWFA 3-9 with 1.5” NF rings. I’d rather cantilever a bit of the front of the scope off the rings then use a cantilever mount with a short base gripping the pic rail.

I’ve also got one with a wyolok rail bridging the handguard/receiver med pic rings. 0.5” base +1”h rings =1.5”. That works really well but is much heavier and I wouldn’t use it unless your handguard positively locks to the receiver, non std AR type upper
Thanks for the pictures, the trade offs you describe make sense. I'm going to look for a reputable cantilever mount with a long base. My build is a standard Aero Precision upper and handguard so I want to keep my mount on the upper's picatinny only and not bridge onto the handguard.

OP
TheM1DoesMyTalking

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
On a 15 you're going to need cantilever or you'll have your ocular too far back and negatively affect eye relief, length of pull, cheek weld, or a combo of all three.

Stick with 1.5" unless you want to use a riser.
This is good advice, the fit of the rifle and positioning of the optic are important to me to get right.

I like my optics high on my AR, so mine sits in a Scalarworks 1.93” mount. I don’t shoot in the prone much and having my head up when shooting helps me with my accuracy. When I’m shooting while sitting or off my pack I feel that it really helps.

OP
TheM1DoesMyTalking

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
That's interesting, Justin, I may have to try a 1.93" mount to experience that sometime.

I have always chosen the lowest scope mounting option that clears the objective bell with the goal of keeping the height over bore to a minimum and having a good cheek weld, but like you are saying, that could depend on what positions you are primarily shooting from.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Verything gets thrown in larue mounts mostly CAN mounts for me cant beat them in my opinion and that's a pretty strong opinion after using them for 12 years on everything from AR15s AR10s SR25 Scar H barrett's a 416 and countless higher powered bolt guns as well.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running a aero mount. Works well and lightweight. I’m a bit concerned that it is vertically split.
I wouldnt be worried about it much those earo mounts are good mounts and every larue mount I've ever run and it's been a lot over the last 14 years are vertically split the larue CAN mount is my go to mount for everything. I've used these mounts to mount many different scopes on a whole lot of very abusive platforms and never had an issue.

Attachments

• 16972070636235750365604355942683.jpg
    16972070636235750365604355942683.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 16972071076909063331883393744878.jpg
    16972071076909063331883393744878.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 10