Scope mounting loctite or not?

do it just like this if you want stuff to stay put.

Macintosh

WKR
It’s hotly contested and the way people approach it is bordering on religion so a rational debate is difficult at best. I’ve personally had better luck using loctite than without—yes, Ive had multiple failures without, and none with, all with identical parts and measured torque—and I justify to myself the increase in torque from using loctite by comparing to the torque with an oil-lubricated screw, ie how they come out of the box, not to a completely dry screw.

Last edited:
Yes, thoroughly degrease screws and their respective holes in the receiver with acetone. Put some blue Loctite on the side of the screw, and tighten to manufacturer's specs.

I have never used Loctite to mount a scope in over 50 years. Always torqued to manufacturer's spec, and good to go. Never had a base or ring loosen in all those years.

Curious to note, however, that for the last few years Leupold has been supplying screws treated with thread locker, of some sort, on their mounts and rings.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
There is no way to know if it's necessary or not since most of us don't know how close the tolerances are to each other. I use blue loctite on bases. Maybe it isn't necessary, but I know my bases don't move. For sure, the torque values would change a bit with lubricant.

House21

FNG
I’ve always used blue loctite on bases and rings. Use to torque to spec but now I torque to 20-22” lbs on the rings.

Choupique

WKR
I use blue loctite for practically everything. It's great stuff. Scope mounts, lug nuts, kids toys. EVERYTHING

CampSmith

FNG
I've been mounting scopes for many years. I use loctite only when attaching bases to the guns receiver. Whether 1 or 2 piece bases. Including rings that have intregal bases such as Talley lightweight rings. Clean then dry ring screws and tapped holes. Use a good solvent such as Gun Scrubber. Apply just alittle loctite and torque to spec. I never use loctite on rings. It's not necessary because ring screws that clamp onto the base or hold down a ring cap are under enough resistance (when torqued properly) and will never vibrate loose. Always lubricate all ring screws before torque. Never torque screws that are dry because you won't get the proper torque. Don't over oil the screws a little goes a long way.

CampSmith

FNG
People are out there ADDING oil to their scope mounts and wonder why they missed that chip shot.

Clean the oil off and loctite.
Really? Don't give the kid the wrong info. I've been hunting over 40 years and in my state we use slug guns and muzzleloaders. Their recoil energy make a 300 win mag look like a .243. Guess what I've never had a scope vibrate loose. My trophy room can verify if you'd like. Loctite all bases and lightly oil your ring screws.

....... Loctite all bases and lightly oil your ring screws.
Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of oiling ring screws. I usually wipe the top of the screws with a rust preventative as routine maintenance, but never thought of putting oil on the threads themselves.

CampSmith

FNG
Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of oiling ring screws. I usually wipe the top of the screws with a rust preventative as routine maintenance, but never thought of putting oil on the threads themselves.
Reason is a dry screw will cause too much friction within the threads and you will never get the proper torque spec. You also don't want to over oil. Just a drop and you can wipe off the excess as long as they're not dry.

CampSmith

FNG
Most manufacturers will ship rings with screws that are lightly oiled. As far as using loctite on rings it is not recommended. Here's something right off the Talley website. 1000006890.jpg

I believe they ship their rings with a light coat of oil to prevent rusting, and they (Talley) do recommend using Loctite on the base (receiver) screws. If you use Loctite, it helps with the torque of the screws instead of screwing dry screws into the receiver.

Blue Loctite on all of my screws and properly torqued using a fat wrench. Works for me.

FWIW, my scopes have never fallen off and hit the dirt at my feet or became loose on my gun during a hunt.... both of which has happened to my friends. lol Embarrassing.

CampSmith

FNG
Yes loctite does act like a lubricant. Also the lightly oiled screws accomplishes both anti- corrosion and allowing screws to be properly torqued. I say to always make sure because I've seen them come dry sometimes so always check.