Scope mounting loctite or not?

You sure do talk about other guys balloon knots a lot. Its ok frank cesaro. We dont judge here. Everyone is welcome.
I just wish he would answer my question I asked him above, I thought maybe somebody had finally joined Rokslide who I could trust their judgement and experience. All you wannabe mouthbreathers on here have been great placeholders in the meantime though!

giphy.gif

Get the blue loctite out - this thread is gonna be locked.

One last question here. If you’re account gets deleted off Rokslide, Is that the hunting world’s equivalent of getting “canceled” off the whole internet?

IMG_1661.jpeg

You sure do talk about other guys balloon knots a lot. Its ok frank cesaro. We dont judge here. Everyone is welcome.
Hey guys like u yes I most definitely do. A Keyboard warrior sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. I was taught something very young mind you're f'in business if it has nothing to do with you. But that's the problem with your generation. Most of you are way too soft cause of it. Talking shit behind the saftey of a keyboard. Tread lightly son. Youre heading down a slippery slope. You might not like what you find on the other end.

Hey guys like u yes I most definitely do. A Keyboard warrior sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. I was taught something very young mind you're f'in business if it has nothing to do with you. But that's the problem with your generation. Most of you are way too soft cause of it. Talking shit behind the saftey of a keyboard. Tread lightly son. Youre heading down a slippery slope. You might not like what you find on the other end.
You don’t even know how old anyone here is. Lol. Sweet threat though, to a solid contributing member here.

You don’t know what you don’t know. Your blind assumptions, general terrible advice, and constant “balloon knot” nonsense has gone all the way overboard at this point.

One last question here. If you’re account gets deleted off Rokslide, Is that the hunting world’s equivalent of getting “canceled” off the whole internet?

View attachment 702860
No not really only liberal cry babies use cancel culture when someone has an opinion other than there's. It's really amusing here. I jumped on another post and actually helped a young man with a real problem. When others were just bashing the brand of scope he used. All of this wisdom here and I helped him with one reply. Don't worry the powers that be here know what really went on here. I'll leave it at that. Men don't act this way little boys do. Have fun play nice.

Heck this is an open forum and I was giving my experience that loctite is needed for zero retention.

Based on your advice here I'm surprised anyone was able to teach you anything. The lesson not to stick your nose where it doesnt belong clearly didnt stick with you either since you are here as well.

I probably need a tuning up. I doubt you will be the one to give it to me though.

No loctite. Torqued to spec, then checked ring torque once a week after installing.

Installed an xrs2 about 3 years ago. Hunted probably 30 days with the rifle in all weather shot 700 ish rounds over the warmer months... fell off a counter while installing a light and landed on the rifle (It was laying on the plastic case). It still shoots the same at 500.

Also lost the gun off the back of a sxs and it retained zero.

But i dont run ultralight gear. egw bases and arc m10/mbrace rings properly torque.

Would loctite hurt, no. Does it matter with quality mounting equipment and proper torque... doubtful.

No loctite. Torqued to spec, then checked ring torque once a week after installing.

Installed an xrs2 about 3 years ago. Hunted probably 30 days with the rifle in all weather shot 700 ish rounds over the warmer months... fell off a counter while installing a light and landed on the rifle (It was laying on the plastic case). It still shoots the same at 500.

Also lost the gun off the back of a sxs and it retained zero.

But i dont run ultralight gear. egw bases and arc m10/mbrace rings properly torque.

Would loctite hurt, no. Does it matter with quality mounting equipment and proper torque... doubtful.
Serious question: wouldn’t thread locker alleviate the need to check ring torque weekly? What makes the continual minor inconvenience of checking ring torque constantly more acceptable than the one time minor inconvenience of applying thread locker? Straight question, I’m just trying to follow the logic, not drag you into some crazy ass argument.

Serious question: wouldn’t thread locker alleviate the need to check ring torque weekly? What makes the continual minor inconvenience of checking ring torque constantly more acceptable than the one time minor inconvenience of applying thread locker? Straight question, I’m just trying to follow the logic, not drag you into some crazy ass argument.
I just checked it once after i did it to be like "yup, nothing changed" then i never did it again.

SUCK IT ole son. Do you shoot a .270 and do you have a cabin with thousands of mounts?

Yes to loctite and screw heads marked with nail polish or something for a witness mark.

IMG_1704.jpegIMG_1703.jpeg
Two scopes that I bought used that had their rings come loose before I got them.

I have also had iron sights on two different pistols come loose that are now loctited.

Ryan

I received a response from Talley manufacturing as well. My question was WHY they recommend against loctite, if it was a scope functional issue or if it was something else.

Talley: "we do this because generally people do not use the product as directed. If a little works, a lot must be better. I do not have a problem with proper usage"

Me: TY. Am I correct in understanding that the amount of loctite makes a difference? If so, what is the problem that using too much causes?

Talley: "Gums up the mounts and makes a mess. I cannot do exchanges once loctite is applied"

Once again, the reason cited for recommending agsint it--even after prodding--is not functional, it's more to do with customer service. Which is a big deal if your company spends a lot of time and energy saving customers from themselves, but its not the same as being an actual problem functionally.

I am still concluding that using loctite is safer than not using loctite (if you're someone the rings never come loose on you're no worse off, but if you happen to become someone for whom rings decide to loosen, you're still covered), and if the only reason any of these companies have to recommend agsint it is because it gums up screws, I'm 150% totally OK with cleaning my screws and buying a new set of screws once in a while if needed.

I received a response from Talley manufacturing as well. My question was WHY they recommend against loctite, if it was a scope functional issue or if it was something else.

Talley: "we do this because generally people do not use the product as directed. If a little works, a lot must be better. I do not have a problem with proper usage"

Me: TY. Am I correct in understanding that the amount of loctite makes a difference? If so, what is the problem that using too much causes?

Talley: "Gums up the mounts and makes a mess. I cannot do exchanges once loctite is applied"

Once again, the reason cited for recommending agsint it--even after prodding--is not functional, it's more to do with customer service. Which is a big deal if your company spends a lot of time and energy saving customers from themselves, but its not the same as being an actual problem functionally.

I am still concluding that using loctite is safer than not using loctite (if you're someone the rings never come loose on you're no worse off, but if you happen to become someone for whom rings decide to loosen, you're still covered), and if the only reason any of these companies have to recommend agsint it is because it gums up screws, I'm 150% totally OK with cleaning my screws and buying a new set of screws once in a while if needed.
End thread

Back