First time mounting a scope

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
I have had good success with Warne Maxima vertically split rings on a number of rifles. Nothing wrong with them, and they are easy to work with. Need to see picture of what you have. If the objective is bottoming out on the rear sight, you may just need taller rings.
Bottoming out on the front scope ring.

sndmn11

WKR
I don't quite know what you mean by that. If you mean that when you out the scope in the rings the objective is touching the barrel, then you need taller rings. If you can post a pic, I can be of more help.
He is meaning that he wants to move the scope back, but the mount spacing is such that the front ring is hitting the taper of the objective and he cannot move it back any further.

While the full length pic rail as a scope base has certain advantages as mentioned, it also has a few downsides. I have rifles set up with pic rails and also rifles with two piece bases. The main disadvantage of the full length rail, in my opinion, is that depending on your action type, it can reduced access to your ejection port, which impairs loading the rifle and checking the magazine and chamber. It is also heavier, although that may not matter to you. I own two Win 70's, and both have two piece bases. YMMV.
I didn't weigh them but the Leupold Backcountry set is listed at 1.75 oz for the rail and 3.1 oz for low 1" rings which he'll want for the Huron. That's technically heavier but probably falls into the negligible range.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Anyone here run a pic rail on a long action M70? Any ejection issues or is it pretty much good to go?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Vertical split rings have problems because of how they clamp and have possibilities for movement in many directions. They use the same clamping for the rail and the scope. And, they don’t have as much clamping with the limited number of screws.

It’s just not as secure.

SDHNTR

WKR
This is an easy fix. Talley makes two piece picitinny bases for the M70. Just exchange what you have for a set of those and Talley’s pic rings. Problem solved with virtually no downside.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Im goi
This is an easy fix. Talley makes two piece picitinny bases for the M70. Just exchange what you have for a set of those and Talley’s pic rings. Problem solved with virtually no downside.
Im going with the single piece rail. The two piece bases still wont offer enough room to make the adjustment I need, they’re about the same length as the current bases I have.

TaperPin

WKR
As you look at one piece bases, there is a difference in height and ejection port clearance. I chose this base because it’s so high and is scalloped creating as much room as possible. You don’t need an expensive base like this, but often you will have many to choose from and this is definitely a feature that makes it easier to use. A tall base like this works with rings a step shorter than you’d normally use.

158B2875-B254-435A-88CB-B8C5FA6A737A.jpeg

PNWGATOR

WKR
Vertical split rings are either too loose on the base, allowing slippage, or they are too tight on the tube and damage the internals. They are also a nightmare for mounting the scope level. Couldn't give me another set.

Op, you need to to something to allow the scope to be repositioned. A Pic rail is probably the most practical option. Then follow this mounting process:
THIS!

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t think everyone is talking about Talley vertical split rings - Talleys are designed so the bottom two screws of the split are tightened and that locks the two half’s of the rings to each other, but doesn’t tighten the scope or the base. A separate screw (or qd lever) tightens rings to base. The top two screws are the only ones that tighten the rings on the scope.

This design has been well thought of for many decades on many high dollar custom rifles where cost was no object. The two scopes I’ve used this system with have functioned perfectly and trouble free.

There may very well be vertical split rings that are a poor design or are hard to use, but these aren’t them.

Last edited:

JeffP_Or

WKR
Not familiar with the Talleys but I know a few folks who have been able to rotate their front bases 180-degrees allowing the rings to seat further back and providing them more adjustability in scope position. It all depends on the hole locations and ring mount position whether this will be a benefit.
Just as many times, I have seen this put the base so far back it extends over the ejection port and causes issues [similar to the full length rail].
Might be worth measuring or dry fitting to see?

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Not familiar with the Talleys but I know a few folks who have been able to rotate their front bases 180-degrees allowing the rings to seat further back and providing them more adjustability in scope position. It all depends on the hole locations and ring mount position whether this will be a benefit.
Just as many times, I have seen this put the base so far back it extends over the ejection port and causes issues [similar to the full length rail].
Might be worth measuring or dry fitting to see?
I had to do that just to get a little bit if play for adjustment. Still was not enough.