Scopecoat vs. flip-up caps

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
What is your preference for use in the field? I have a nice piece of swaro glass on my .270 and was wondering if folks had a preference. thanks!

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking about the same myself. I always used flip caps, specifically for rain not for protecting the scope. Was thinking of switching to the cover bc i have been dialing elevation and don’t have a zero stop, but have it marked on the dial where my zero is. Figured the cover would prevent the turret from accidentally being turned out of zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in a vote for a scope coat. Keeps the lenses safe and protects the tube from wear and tear when I'm squeezing through brush. I haven't had one "fail" (I know some folks have complained about expensive flip cap failure). They're not hard or noisy to slip off when the time comes either.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Butler Creek flip up covers for over thirty years, never a problem. They live on every scope I own . Granted no tube protection like a scope coat , but I never felt I needed more .

Reactions: BCD

slick

WKR
Count me as one of the fellas who has lost a butler creek flip up cap more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
I've lost numerous butler creek caps.
i use caps and a scope coat. caps to protect the lenses and coat to protect with overall scope from being banged up

rayporter

WKR
flipers are always flipped
scopecoat protects well but when you are in a hurry to get it off for a shot you might cuss a little. just a little until you see those clear lenses.
the scope coat also keep the turrets from unscrewing.

I keep a flip up on the objective lens only and a slightly larger than needed scope coat over entire scope. With a little practice, taking coat off from ocular to objective usually flips the cap open as well. I like it.

What is your preference for use in the field? I have a nice piece of swaro glass on my .270 and was wondering if folks had a preference. thanks!
Both...lol. I have a VX6HD 4-24 that has the alumina flip caps, but also is never without a neoprene cover.

Neoprene covers are pretty nice. They offer a little protection to the the entire scope. If it’s pouring down then you are going to get some water inside, but not terrible. I’m usually pulling mine off before coming over ridges or coming into an open area I might expect to see game.