Scopes with large Eyeboxes?

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I only have two scopes that I would call good. A new Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 and an old Nikon Monarch 3 3-12x42. I bought the Tenmile because I noticed the Nikon's adjustment were kind of random. The one thing I love about it is the eyebox is incredibly large and easy to get behind. Maybe more dummy proof in that I don't have to practice much for it to work well. I don't really know what normal is. Maybe the Nikon is just incredibly good in that regard. Being that's what I'm used to I'm not super thrilled about the eyebox on the Tenmile. So now I have to ask the Rokslide community, what reliable scopes have large eyeboxes that are easy to get behind?

OP
F

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Is eyebox directly related to exit pupil? Looks like the Nikon has 14-3.5mm. Tenmile is 11.4-2.3mm.

In comparison,
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 is 14.3-3.6mm.
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is 15.5-4.4

I may be able to find one of these to look through somewhere.

Is eyebox directly related to exit pupil? Looks like the Nikon has 14-3.5mm. Tenmile is 11.4-2.3mm.

In comparison,
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 is 14.3-3.6mm.
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is 15.5-4.4

I may be able to find one of these to look through somewhere.
Yes it is related. The human eyes pupil can dilate between 1-8mm from very bright to pitch black. So if it's first/last light and your pupil could take in a cylinder of light say 6mm in diameter, a scope with 15.5 would still feel forgiving on low power. Turn it up to max power and it will feel very restricted and dark.