Scopes

Haven’t read through the whole thread but I’ve been happy with Meopta. I have 2 Optika 6’s and one Optika 5. The 5 is on my Montana. Relatively light weight 4-20/44 and is as good of glass as I’ve ever had (not that I’ve ever had top end stuff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
If you can add $50 to your scope fund, the Maven RS2 is great glass in a very lightweight 2-10 that is fantastic at the stated ranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
I bought a Nikon prostaf p5 last year and love it. For some reason it seems like Nikon has dropped off in popularity and im
Not sure why? Every Nikon I’ve owned I haven’t had an issue. It’s weird Because a lot of guys don’t even bring up Nikon Anymore but out of the last 3 scopes I’ve bought 2 have been Nikon and 1 Leupold and even the cheapest Nikon I like better than the Leupold that was more Expensive. Give the prostaf p5 a look they dropped the price from what I paid last year. and are around 350 on sportsman’s guide for the 4-16x42 that’s what I have but they have a couple different magnification options
It's because Nikon no longer manufactures scopes at all, so less people are buying them because they no longer have a warranty. Nikon quit manufacturing them in January. It's really a shame, I like the one I have on a muzzleloader!

I'm not here to bash any company, just some observations. I've used 2 different Leupold scopes. Both have gone back for warranty work multiple times each...great warranty though, no questions asked. Every time it has been the reticle "twisting". Came back perfect each time but it makes me wonder how long it is going to be between warranty visits.

I'm looking at the Vortex Diamondback Tacticle for a longer range gun. I've used it on friend's rifles and really liked it. But I don't have a ton of experience with it personally. Seems like a lot of scope for $400...but often that means "a lot of (crappy) scope"...my minimal experience seems like it is clear, and they say it holds zero well.

I've gone to a cheapy Nikon Buckmaster BDC scope for my 400y and under hunting rifle. I love it. Under $200 and clear glass, reliable, never had to readjust the zero. Personally I really like it more than some of the more expensive glass I've used (not that I've used anything super expensive)

nobody

WKR
I'm not here to bash any company, just some observations. I've used 2 different Leupold scopes. Both have gone back for warranty work multiple times each...great warranty though, no questions asked. Every time it has been the reticle "twisting". Came back perfect each time but it makes me wonder how long it is going to be between warranty visits.

I'm looking at the Vortex Diamondback Tacticle for a longer range gun. I've used it on friend's rifles and really liked it. But I don't have a ton of experience with it personally. Seems like a lot of scope for $400...but often that means "a lot of (crappy) scope"...my minimal experience seems like it is clear, and they say it holds zero well.

I've gone to a cheapy Nikon Buckmaster BDC scope for my 400y and under hunting rifle. I love it. Under $200 and clear glass, reliable, never had to readjust the zero. Personally I really like it more than some of the more expensive glass I've used (not that I've used anything super expensive)
Vortex's diamondback line will disappoint you if you're not happy with your Leupolds. I had 4 different Diamondbacks break on different guns in different cartridges. Rotating reticles, not holding zero if you fart anywhere near them, let alone bump them around out hunting. Short eye relief for anything other than a 22. The CHEAP Crossfires are better suited for any type of real use.

You hit the Viper line (specifically the Viper HS), and that all changes, but the Viper HS is, IMHO, no different or better than your $200 Nikon.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
For $500 it would be hard to beat a VX-3i for a tough and reliable scope. Elk hunting is rough on equipment.