Scouting trip report

Manosteel

WKR
Came back from a scouting trip for sheep (elk and mule deer secondary but in area) last week and figured I would post up my thoughts on gear and what happened.

Took my son out scouting with me, he is 17 and it was his first time in the mountains on a hunting related trip with me. He plays elite level hockey, trains year round and he usually starts pre-training camp 3rd week in August and main training camp 1st week in September and hockey season goes until April. Since he was 13 he has not been able to come out hunting with me. So this was big deal for him and me.

I can’t believe how fast kids grow up, I was afraid my son wouldn’t keep up and/or would slow me down. The opposite is what happened. I keep myself in good shape, train year round but I am in my 40’s now and never felt my age until this week. I am usually the one pushing the pace with my hunting partners and have only found one hunting partner who had the same drive as me. But this trip I felt old and slow. My son was a monster, when the trail was well defined and he know which way we were going he led the way and left me behind by an easy 2-300 yards on average without breaking a sweat. On the mountains I lead the way but my son followed without missing a beat. Man to be young again. Out of all the new fangled gear I took and was excited to test, he was my biggest surprise and I couldn’t be a prouder dad.

We went up for two nights. Got to give all my gear a good test, but the biggest test came for my new BT1 pack. We saw a lot of animals, which was great for my son! Taught him how to scout from a distance, keep a low profile and learn the land. He had a great time watching an small heard of elk two basins away. It was a group of 8 cows and a bachelor group of 3 bulls, one a big bodied 6 point. We saw sheep both days. Got on top of a group of 5 rams. We spotted them just on the other side of a nearby ridge, none were shooters, so I decided to show my son how to stalk up on them by playing the wind, staying out of sight, and coming from behind and up on over them. We got as close as close at 82 yards before they had an enough and busted out.

No animal photos, sorry… never been big on taking pictures in the field and digascoping is a mystery to me. Tried to put my iphone to the spotting scope by hand but no dice.

On the last day I could see a thunder storm heading our way quick, so we packed up quick. We were camped just off the first main ridge into the mountain range we where scouting. It was a good 1.5 miles on the ridge before a steep drop in elevation for half a mile and then a gradual drop in elevation for another 3/4 mile or so. When we headed out the thunder sounded like it was already on top of us and shortly there after the rain and lighting came. Nothing makes you feel closer to God and more insignificant at the same time than a thunder storm on a ridge in the mountains. You can feel it in your bones.

My BT1 Pack, which had my full gear loaded for a normal 5 day hunt, was awesome! It was load to about 44 lbs plus 4 litters of water. I had no hot spots and it carried easy. It performed as advertised. With day hunt gear it felt like I wasn’t carrying a full fledged pack, it compressed down nice and was easy to carry. I felt the 25lbs going up and down valleys and peaks but it was easy to carry and easy to forget about (hard to describe, your legs know there is an extra 25 lbs on your body but your back shoulders and hips don’t know they are carrying anything substantial).

The real test for the BT1 came when we headed back down the trail to the truck, in the pouring rain. When we got near the bottom of the ridge I was talking about earlier, my son spotted something up ahead. It turned out to be another hunter, scouting the same area. First time I saw anyone else out their ever. He was sitting on the side of the trail with his pack beside him. When he saw us he started yelling and waving his hands wildly. Apparently he had twisted his ankle really bad on the trail. He could limp around on it but there was no way he was going to walk on it with his pack on. He had a frame pack with older gear which he said was about 60-65 lbs of gear. The rain was coming down good now, so I told him to empty his pack out and I would put his gear in my pack and my son would strap his pack frame with bag on the badlands 4500 he was using.

So off we went in the rain, when we came off the mountains we had to cross two muskeg/swampy areas before we got to the trail head. We hiked with heavy packs, and limping hunter, for the next 2 miles, getting wet, sinking into muskeg every step for about ¼ of that time. My pack had to weigh a 100+ lbs. The guy we helped wouldn’t stop thanking us, telling us he had sat there for about 2 hours praying his ankle would get better and he could make it out back to his truck. He knew it wasn’t a real bad sprain but bad enough he couldn’t hike with his pack.

Anyway think I gained a new best friend and the bikini handled the weight just great. That was easily the most weight I had in the pack since I got it back in June. Again, it works as advertized. My hips and legs could tell their was easily twice as much weight in the bag but again, no sore shoulders or back :) yes….!! Once on and adjusted tight, I did not have to readjust on the hike out. I could feel 80-90% of the weight on my hips and no pull on my shoulders. The only problem I had with the BT1 was that the right hip belt strap twisted(on the power pull), when tightening down hard with the heavy load, didn’t affect use or function but I will be giving Aaron a call later to discuss. It could have been just me yanking to hard on the hip belt strap. Only regret I have is that I wish I had the BT1 pack last year!!!! The moose and elk I humped out wouldn’t have wiped me out so bad, my shoulders and back hurt for weeks after those two.

I have been using and playing with most of this gear all spring but this was the first test in hunting conditions. I got sun, wind and rain on this trip so it was a good test. This is my preliminary thoughts on the gear I tested.

Gear that was great!
BT1 – as advertised, I highly recommend, I am glade I went with this bag rather than the 7000, the side pockets were awesome. I was able to organize all my gear and it turns out I can pack out two whole camps with it!

Delorme In-reach – My wife would not let me take out son out without the ability for two way communication everyday. The device worked great. We were able to text back and forth each day. Its’ not quick two way txting, It takes a few minutes to get the “sent” confirmation, anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. And getting a response was about the same amount of time. Also be aware there is 160 character limit per text and your plan is based on amount of txts sent, so I tried to say as much as I could in every txt. Every txt I sent got out and I received a response. It was nice to have a real conversation with the wife and it made me feel safer having that ability especially with my son with me. I travel a lot for work in northern parts of Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC where cell service is spotty. I will never leave home without this little unit!

Mountain Smith LT- first time with a floorless shelter and it was great. Will not be going back to a traditional tent this year. Light, went up quick and had enough room for two guys and all their gear.

Primus micronlatern - 4oz of comfort and cozyness. It gives off a soft light that is bright enough to really light up your tent and also gives off some heat. My son loved it as it gave off both light and heat. It reminded me of home with my folks and my son said it reminded him of his days as a baby camping with his grandparents (he only did it once from what I can recall but he remembers) This will too will always be in my pack.

Kryptek Katos Primoaloft jacket - Kyptek Valhalla Minimalist Shirt 245 1/4-ZIP – were great and will be my go to clothing for this season.

Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter – been using this all through training hikes. Can be used in multiply ways. Awesome unit and it only weighs 2 oz’s

APUC level Gore-tex Ultralight Rain Jacket – waterproof – check, lightweight- check, pit zips – check.! Will be my go to rain jacket this year.

Trekking poles – never used them before but will always pack them now. I used a cheap aluminum set off ebay and they worked well enough to keep them in my pack.

Not-so great
Kryptek Alaios Pants – it is serviceable but the fit around the crotch area was a little tight for me and when I would bend or stretch in awkward directions the button would pop off. I got the 32 inch waist but had to use suspenders to keep other from viewing my plumbers crack :) Will wear them this year but will alternate with a lightweight more stretchable Cabales Hunt-tech mid-base pants I have. Will be looking to upgrade this item next year.

Scorpion Rangefinder – got this in a trade and while it’s a nice compact unit. It will not read reliable past 250 yards on animals. It has angle compensation which works great but the lack of distance sucks. Not really a big deal with bow hunters but I might not be able to use a bow this year.

Nikon XLII Spotting scope – while it is light weight, slick slim profile, the glass is lacking the HD quality I am now getting used to. This item will be replaced for next year.

Propper MIL Gor-tex Rain Pant - heavy , nosey and fit is baggy. Will be upgrading. They weight 21.1 oz’s.
Some pics of the area;

View from camp

Getting camp set up

Last edited:
OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR

My son having txting/internet withdrawls :)

My son was not happy that the pics don't show how steep the mountains really were lol

The inside of the tarp tent with the primus microlatern

the Delorme inreach

Last edited:

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a great trip - especially good to do it with your son.
My son kicks my butt when it comes to running. I used to be able to trot along effortlessly, but when I try to keep up with him now I realize I've lost a step. Sucks to get older, but better than the alternative!
I went scouting this past weekend and found a few different scattered groups of elk. Pretty exciting to see them - can't wait for bowseason to get here!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Yeah it was a great couple of days. My son is already on the ice this week and then off to pre- training camp next week. It's too bad he won,t be at home hunting with me this fall. He will make a great hunting partner for future. The trip was a blast and he loved stalking close to the rams. He is into making videos with his gaming systems and wants to film me hunting if he ever gets the chance. Another Good thing that came out of the trip was that he set me up with a basic video editing system on my home computer and told me he would walk me through the basic editing over the phone when my wife and I make the DIY vids on pull outs and drawstring bags.

bbrown

WKR
Looks like a damn good time. I played AA hockey most of my childhood so I know how demanding it can be but could not wait for that week I got to sneak away with my old man each fall.
On another note if your boy is anything like me he will cursed with almost every pair of pants fitting tight thru the thighs - damn skaters legs... Ha

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing your hunting/scouting trips take place north of the Bow River. I have spent very little time north of the Bow, but I do remember it once held some of the biggest elk in the province. I've heard that wolves are one of the main reasons those mountain zones no longer have the elk they once did. Just wondering what your overall feel is for elk in that area of the province.

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and beautiful pictures! My dad is my favorite hunting partner and we have some great memories together. Can't wait till my little guy is old enough to join me on the mountain. I still have a while since his is only 18 months but I'm still looking forward to it. Thanks for taking us with on your adventures and for the gear reviews, good luck on the hunts, hope you see success!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I am a lot farther North than the Bow River. There are pockets of Elk in the mountains I hunt but they are not everywhere like in some of the Northern Peace Country Farm/hilly zones. The elk I have found appear to have very little hunting presser and not surprising because of how rugged the country is. I would not want to pack one out on my back from where we found this group. Steep, rocky, shale everywhere and deep narrow valleys, you would need horses but even than you would have to do some packing to get to the horses. Can't say how the population was before, as it was one of my best friends who showed me the area I now hunt and that was 5 seasons ago. In that time I haven't seen a big fluctuation one way or the other. As for wolves they seem to be popping up everywhere, but I am more worried about grizzles in the area. Whether SRD wants to admit it or not, there are a lot more griz in Alberta than the stats say there are.

If you are looking for Elk your best bet would be the Peace Country. I grew up in Peace Country region (its big WMU 300's and 500's) and still have a lot of family up their. Talking to them the elk seem to be spreading into the northern parts that you would have never seen one in 10 years ago. They have great transition zones from farm land to heavy hilly forest cover. Lots of Crown land and if I remember the regs correctly all of it is OTC for archery elk 3-point or larger.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Looks like a damn good time. I played AA hockey most of my childhood so I know how demanding it can be but could not wait for that week I got to sneak away with my old man each fall.
On another note if your boy is anything like me he will cursed with almost every pair of pants fitting tight thru the thighs - damn skaters legs... Ha

lol he already has that problem. He is a goalie so his quads are huge. He couldn't fit the hunting pants I gave him comfortable, so he wore the fleece jogger type pants everyone wore 10 years ago.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Yup hunting with your dad is the best. My dad is getting up there in age and I was luckly enough to go hunting with him 3 seasons ago. It was a blast. I fancy myself a good moose caller. Been calling moose since I tagged along with my dad and uncles, getting in their way and being a general nusiance. But man, can my dad call moose. When we went out, I drove down an old unused logging road to a an old cut block. We walked about km to another cut block over that had cutlines going to and from it on all corners and sides. We set up and not even 30 mins later he had 3 bull moose comin in, one with a cow in tow. He can make the longest, saddest, hornest.... come get me now... moose cow call I ever heard. My uncle was just laughing at how suprised I was. (It was 15 years since the last time we went hunting together so I completely forgot how good he was at calling) Anyway our 3 day hunt ended an hour after it started, with me arrowing a nice bull at 42 yards and having to chase away a younger bull who wouldn't leave, guess he was smitten :)

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you've got a decent spot for elk - hidden little pocket.
I've got my spots down south, fair number of elk but you've got to work to get to them. That's OK, in fact preferable, as it seems to keep out most of the other hunters and ATV's. Just curious about the northern mountain zones. Used to be some good elk country, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore.