Seak Stormtight vs Cloudburst Jack

I am looking for a good all-around outer layer during the winter. I would like to knock out two birds with one stone by getting a well-made rain jacket that can act as my outer layer. I would like this jacket to be durable so the brush doesn't just punch holes in it, and hopefully last me a number of years. I would like to regularly have this jacket on while brush busting during the winter. And when stopping for glassing breaks I would plan on putting on my insulating layers underneath with the rain jacket primarily blocking the wind.

I am leaning towards the Cloudburst jacket because of the Goretex factor. But I like the idea of buying First Lite just because I have had good experiences with them in the past with base layers.

K

Kootenay Hunter

FWIW, I have the FL SEAK jacket, for the exact same function as you described: outer hard shell for rain/snow, option for insulating layers. I also wanted a solid colour as it's my one and only hard shell for all activities.

I have a 3-layer gore jacket from simms, and I can't tell much of a difference between that and 37.5 stuff (the carbon thing just sounds like a gimmick).

I haven't bust through a lot of thick brush, but it has held well in rain.

FL did test it in BC/Alaska, so check that out for more confidence. But even the 'toughest' goretex will get punctures, etc. if abused, it's not a flak jacket.

For me it's a toss up, but the solid colour of the FL pushed me towards that, as I can get more use out of it everyday.

OP
HoughLePuff
FWIW, I have the FL SEAK jacket, for the exact same function as you described: outer hard shell for rain/snow, option for insulating layers. I also wanted a solid colour as it's my one and only hard shell for all activities.

I have a 3-layer gore jacket from simms, and I can't tell much of a difference between that and 37.5 stuff (the carbon thing just sounds like a gimmick).

I haven't bust through a lot of thick brush, but it has held well in rain.

FL did test it in BC/Alaska, so check that out for more confidence. But even the 'toughest' goretex will get punctures, etc. if abused, it's not a flak jacket.

For me it's a toss up, but the solid colour of the FL pushed me towards that, as I can get more use out of it everyday.
Thanks for the reply!

I am new to buying this type of high-end gear as well as backpacking gear. I have a few first lite wool pieces that I really like so far but have not heard great things about their outerwear, specifically their pants. I figured if I am buying a new jacket and will need to get rain pants as well I may as well get the same brand.

K

Kootenay Hunter

If you're looking at a set, another one to look at is the badlands exo pants/jacket. It's a little lighter weight, so won't necessarily take a thrashing, but they have a lifetime warranty, you can poke a hole in them and return it with no issues (supposedly).

I run FL Kiln with the exo jacket when cold and wet, and the exo jacket is nice for rain in early season, the seak would be too hot. I have the seak for hardcore rain or winter conditions.

I’ve had two SEAK jackets and they both leaked. I’m done with their “37.5” waterproof fabric. Their stuff seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper and maybe it’s just so they can hit price points. Unraveling threads and seams coming apart seem to be the norm now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HoughLePuff
I’ve had two SEAK jackets and they both leaked. I’m done with their “37.5” waterproof fabric. Their stuff seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper and maybe it’s just so they can hit price points. Unraveling threads and seams coming apart seem to be the norm now.

What other pieces of FL gear have you had problems with?

Corrugate Jacket seams coming apart. SEAK pants leaked badly all over. Aerowool briefs tore at crotch. Current wick briefs are unraveling in the rear. Fairly certain my newest Uncompahgre was woefully under filled with insulation. Beanie started unraveling right out of the box.

OP
HoughLePuff
Corrugate Jacket seams coming apart. SEAK pants leaked badly all over. Aerowool briefs tore at crotch. Current wick briefs are unraveling in the rear. Fairly certain my newest Uncompahgre was woefully under filled with insulation. Beanie started unraveling right out of the box.

Man, that's unfortunate. Is there another brand you are switching to or already like?

I’m going Sitka lately. I think Kuiu makes the best pants. I like Sitka tops. I’m going to be trying either the Cloudburst or the Storm Front. I live in Western WA so I need something that wears hard.

Yes i had an ucomphare puffy and klamath both had seams unraveling when they arrived from shipping. Terrible QC process

I’m going Sitka lately. I think Kuiu makes the best pants. I like Sitka tops. I’m going to be trying either the Cloudburst or the Storm Front. I live in Western WA so I need something that wears hard.

have you considered the KUIU chugach rain gear? I'm in same boat and between Sitka Cloudburst and KUIU chugach.

have you considered the KUIU chugach rain gear? I'm in same boat and between Sitka Cloudburst and KUIU chugach.

You know, i haven’t considered Kuiu tops too much, mostly because i HATE their patterns. They look terrible and they don’t offer any good solid colors in their tops. I like camo for my tops because I’m always getting pitch and marks on the solids. I tried on a Cloudburst and it felt substantial. I honestly thought it felt as beefy as my SEAK. It is lighter though spec wise. I’d like to try the new Storm Front with the Pro shell but those things fit awfully baggy.

Funny thing is my Klamath hoody is my favorite piece. I personally think it’s the best fleece mud out there. Feels warmer than the Heavyweight from Sitka. Dries fast and never smells.

You know, i haven’t considered Kuiu tops too much, mostly because i HATE their patterns. They look terrible and they don’t offer any good solid colors in their tops. I like camo for my tops because I’m always getting pitch and marks on the solids. I tried on a Cloudburst and it felt substantial. I honestly thought it felt as beefy as my SEAK. It is lighter though spec wise. I’d like to try the new Storm Front with the Pro shell but those things fit awfully baggy.

Funny thing is my Klamath hoody is my favorite piece. I personally think it’s the best fleece mud out there. Feels warmer than the Heavyweight from Sitka. Dries fast and never smells.

Yeah good point on camo also covering up stains and pitch. I don't mine the grey or gun metal solid color but I kinda am leaning towards the cloudburst as I really like the sub alpine camo and gore-tex is tried and true. Funny you mentioned the Klamath i get rid of it and wish I had not. That thing is money and your right really warm for its weight and never stinks.

I've also considered getting rid of fleece mid layer and getting the sitka kelvin active hoody. Warmer then a fleece and only weights 9oz., so cutting half the weight as well.

I've also considered getting rid of fleece mid layer and getting the sitka kelvin active hoody. Warmer then a fleece and only weights 9oz., so cutting half the weight as well.

Dude! Did we just become best clothing friends!?
I’m doing the same thing. I’ve got a Sawtooth Jacket and love it, but am finding it is sort of an awkward piece since I have a Klamath. It’s warm, but not warm enough to be stand alone for me personally. I’m sort of going away from Merino because I find it to have no real advantage over synthetics other than odor, but with the new odor treatments garments have, it’s becoming more of a moot point. Plus my pants always stink so it doesn’t really do much from a global standpoint.
Here is what I plan on doing: core lightweight hoody with core lightweight t shirt if it is colder out, Klamath hoody (such a money piece), Kelvin active jacket (replaces my Sawtooth and dries faster/provides better warmth and weighs less) and then the Mountain Jacket over those (will replace my Corrugate Jacket and is totally windproof while still being durable). Pants wise, I have a hard time finding anything better than the Tiburons for warm weather and the Axis pants are the best late season pant ever made. Solids of course. Mid season I might try the new Traverse Pants. They are crazy stretchy, nearly as much so as the Corrugate pants but they also have elastic built into them so they will probably end up pilling the same. Possibly the Kutana pants?

I emailed Sitka and asked them what the difference between the Cloudburst and the Storm Front is. The Storm Front has the Pro Shell which apparently has a vapor permeable membrane which the Cloudburst doesn’t. This means moisture can evaporate directly out from inside the jacket but a normal Gore Tex 3L shell uses a sort of solid state moisture transport system meaning sweat must physically touch the membrane and is then evaporated out of the jacket from there. Both have a very good shell. Cloudburst is a 70D poly shell and the Storm Front has a 70D nylon shell which means it will probably be slightly more durable. How much so I don’t know. I only mention these things because the Storm Front is probably more comparable to the SEAK in features vs the Cloudburst. I can attest to the breathability of the SEAK. I’ve worn it and have been able to feel the heat and moissture slowly disappearing through the jacket. Almost a cooling effect. To me that doesn’t matter if it doesn’t keep you dry though. The Cloudburst should be nearly just as durable. I tried it on again and can say it feels substantial and that it will hold up well to brush. I am going with the Cloudburst this go around.

Wyo78

FNG
I am looking for the same features in an outer layer jacket for an Alaskan caribou hunt. I was leaning towards the Kuiu Yukon rain jacket and just ordered it the other day. I think they should all work well, but will know a little more in a few days when Yukon shows up. I wish there was someplace you could try them all on, but if I'm not happy with Kuiu I will send it back and try one of those others.

jdeanwvu

FNG
I have been running first lite gear for a few years now and haven't had a problem with any of my pieces. It's important to have specific, fit-for-purpose pieces for insulating/brush busting/rain gear. Misuse of pieces is what can cause damage. As for seams unraveling, I haven't had an issue with that after heavy use and washing.

lck90

FNG
Anybody have experience with the Pnuma Selkirk line? Seems to be an all-in-one according to their description.