Seat Recomendations

chas

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone using as a seat/pad in the field glassing?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Turned a Thermarest foam pad from full length to a 3/4 pad use the piece I cut off as a seat. Ultralight weight and rolls up easy. Alot of guys get the egg crate sectional foam pads REI sells. They work great too.

Carlin59

WKR
I got an el-cheapo closed cell 1/2" foam sleeping pad for $15 and cut it in half. It stays rolled up on the outside of my pack for quick access. If I am going to be glassing for awhile I unroll it to give myself a nice 3ft section to splay out on. If it is a quick sit i just leave it rolled up and sit on it like that. Sitting on the roll is actually really comfortable, and makes it about 3 inches of padding. At night, i put the half-pad in the middle under my inflatable pad for a little more R value (it sits under the core), a little more rock/uneven ground comfort, and a lot of puncture resistance. I really like my multi-purpose cheapo foam 1/2 pad!

Last edited:
I picked up a Therm-a-rest Z-Seat Pad and it seems to work pretty well when weight and space are the main considerations. Just keep an eye on it in windy conditions or you'll be running down the mountain after it!

Lawnboi

WKR
A thermarest z lite cut in 3 pieces.

Whi I use it, it's multi purpose, and pretty dang comfortable.

It's an umbrella, a pillow and a seat all in 1. Makes a nice little shooting mat as well.

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive tried a few different options now.

Still my favorite is the crazycreek Hex 2.0. It is fast to setup, compact to pack, burly, comfy enough, low to the ground/steady.

I bought my wife the Helinox ground chair, which is freaking awesome. Very comfy and same weight as the crazycreek. But it is slow/cumbersome to setup and being up off the ground even just a bit makes you sway in the wind more then the crazycreek style chairs.

I also own the Thermarest trekker chair kit, that I combined with a piece of 1/2" foam cut to fit in it. This is the lightest option, saves a few ounces over the other two options and about the same comfort as the crazycreek. It however, is a little more finicky to get in and out of, doesn't seem as burly and doesn't pack down as tight or quickly as the crazycreek.

So for a pure glassing/scouting chair I really prefer the crazycreek.

Helinox is great, but not for uneven ground. I also have a Walkstool Comfort for day hunting, but also not great for uneven ground. What it is better at is sitting up higher as one of the areas I hunt has over waist high brush and I need the extra height to be able to see. There are some stools out there that have individually adjustable legs that would be far better for uneven ground, but don't remember where I've seen them off the top of my head.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Trekker chair with prolite 3 short pad. Comfy, packs up fast and smaller than a similar length Z-Lite I had (though not as light, but I like the back rest that the z-lite doesn't give me). Also doubles as a decent sleeping pad (which is what it is after all) for unexpected bivies on the mountain.

Helinox is great, but not for uneven ground. I also have a Walkstool Comfort for day hunting, but also not great for uneven ground. What it is better at is sitting up higher as one of the areas I hunt has over waist high brush and I need the extra height to be able to see. There are some stools out there that have individually adjustable legs that would be far better for uneven ground, but don't remember where I've seen them off the top of my head.

I modified mine with aftermarket feet

The lightest and cheapest option is go to Home Depot and buy a closed cell, dense kneeling pad in the gardening section. $4.99 and works very well. Does not break down after hours of use. I use one and have been known to buy 2 and tape them together. I want a chair but not willing to pack it.

charvey9

WKR
My arse.

If you want a lightweight alternative, using something you already pack, stuff a game bag with grass. Works well for a pillow also.