Seek Outside 2022 Pack Updates

11boo

WKR
Very pleased to see seek doing well and making gear here. I’m loving your tent, when I need a new pack I’ll see you then.

Geardo

FNG
A few comments for comments:

1. Gatekeepers, we plan to keep, the majority of people really love the adaptability provided. If you want buckles, you can literally convert it all to buckles in about 30 minutes, by buying gatekeepers, and the 3/4 buckle .. then you can use the buckles and still move compression straps if desired. Personally, I move compression straps around a LOT but rarely use buckles.

2. Yes they are at the hunting EXPO as are wolf colored packs

3. Seems like a more fair Gray comparison would be SG rather than Gossamer Gear ? The Wolf ..looks like Foliage in person really. The black really looks charcoal in person. The charcoal is sharp as well.

4. Puncture vs Abrasion .. some very sharp granite areas can puncture fabrics .. .. but for the most part abrasion is where it is at for an extremely high percentage of use cases .

5. No rain cover is needed .. for the most part , a couple areas can hold a small amount of water .. but it is so small . I have never seam sealed my own pack .. and it has been in pretty sustained rain and I've never used a rain cover

6. Ultra packs, pretty similar to X21 in weight but the suspension saved some weight with the SpectraGridHT vs Cordura. More importantly it also absorbs no water or very close to no water

7. Food ... in black packs ..well put it in a gray pocket of the spectra grid ? If I had a chocolate bar or M and M that is what I would do.

8. Saker / Brooks add on pockets look good and a couple are at show .. though I loaned them out they should be back at booth tomorrow.

9.Looks of Charcoal or Ultra ? We realize its probably not for everyone .. though our orders today would say Ultra is for EVERYONE .. BUT ..different strokes for different folks. Color options with UHMWPE fabric get very limited. We did get a couple samples of a more gray blend .. which is really a blend of white and black fibers ... but we really preferred the charcoal . If the charcoal is not your jam so to speak .. then wolf looks pretty much like foliage ..if neither are your jam ..sorry. We strive to build great packs more than we strive for being a fashion brand

10 . Wolf is pretty darn cool fabric as well just in case anyone is interested.

The very first pack cover I found online from eberlstock was only 4oz, but not sure on the sizing.

A few options for UL pack covers in MC and Alpine that fit your packs well would be a nice compliment to these packs.

For me, the charcoal actually works perfect for SAR work, our uniforms are black and red. It looks more “normal” when hiking and backpacking, and if I want to be sneaky squirrel a cover is easy to toss on.

Can’t wait to see the flight 3s!

Fedster

FNG
First off congrats to SO for its continuous growth and move to innovative designs and materials. I have some packs from you that I doubt will ever wear out (XPac 1000D and 42D) realistically, but it's good to know I can always upgrade to something better.

I think you might want to look into teaching how to seam seal the new fabrics. I did not seam seal my bags, and I got caught out in a Typhoon in Japan and after a while under what felt like a water hose I did find seams leaked (my passport got wet...). Obviously if people want to seal their packs it is their business, but good info about doing it well (what sealant for what fabric, stuffing or not the bags, etc) is welcome.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First off congrats to SO for its continuous growth and move to innovative designs and materials. I have some packs from you that I doubt will ever wear out (XPac 1000D and 42D) realistically, but it's good to know I can always upgrade to something better.

I think you might want to look into teaching how to seam seal the new fabrics. I did not seam seal my bags, and I got caught out in a Typhoon in Japan and after a while under what felt like a water hose I did find seams leaked (my passport got wet...). Obviously if people want to seal their packs it is their business, but good info about doing it well (what sealant for what fabric, stuffing or not the bags, etc) is welcome.

I updated the pack seam sealing video last year, this method works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm excited. I had planned on ordering a custom integrated lanner but I think I'll get the Kenai. I assume it has an internal load shelf?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yes on the internal load shelf connection points.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for sounding negative - what I first typed up was even harsher and I edited it lol. I get that Seek Outside isn’t a fashion brand, and this does appear to be an impressive fabric. But when people spend $500-$600 on a pack it’s not silly for them to have a preference of looks. I’m glad to see I’m in the minority, as I am happy to see Seek Outside do well. Hopefully mixing and matching the old components with the new will result in a cool custom look instead of looking like a Frankenstein pack.

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
couple quick questions:
1) is the only difference between the Goshawk 6300 and 4800 the size of the main bag?

2) especially if they are the same, any pics of both half-full and in total ‘day pack’ mode?

thx!

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
couple quick questions:
1) is the only difference between the Goshawk 6300 and 4800 the size of the main bag?

2) especially if they are the same, any pics of both half-full and in total ‘day pack’ mode?

thx!

Yes, same except for size. No pics of “day mode” but if you search the forum I’m sure you can find some. They’ll both compress down to the same size.

Regarding size, for a backpack hunting pack I prefer the 6300…not much more weight and easier to shove everything into. For a day hunt pack I’d probably go smaller.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry for sounding negative - what I first typed up was even harsher and I edited it lol. I get that Seek Outside isn’t a fashion brand, and this does appear to be an impressive fabric. But when people spend $500-$600 on a pack it’s not silly for them to have a preference of looks. I’m glad to see I’m in the minority, as I am happy to see Seek Outside do well. Hopefully mixing and matching the old components with the new will result in a cool custom look instead of looking like a Frankenstein pack.

No worries, we knew it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Fact is that our packs are going to look like a Seek Outside…you won’t mistake them for something else.

Do you anticipate making a non-asymmetrical breakaway setup with a 6300cui main bag available at some point?

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Recenlty bought the lanner, so I'm not likely to be buying a full size pack again soon, even though the new material looks sweet.

I thought I heard that there was an edc style daypack in development, did I imagine that, or is there one coming in the near future?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Recenlty bought the lanner, so I'm not likely to be buying a full size pack again soon, even though the new material looks sweet.

I thought I heard that there was an edc style daypack in development, did I imagine that, or is there one coming in the near future?
Not your imagination. Testing, improving , repeat until we feel it is ready

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you anticipate making a non-asymmetrical breakaway setup with a 6300cui main bag available at some point?

Goshawk 6300 is out now. Right side water bottle pocket, left side tall spotter / tripod pocket.

I have the older x-pac Peregrine & Lanner (these packs are awesome!!), so I'm set for now.
However, I think the new packs look great. That ultra seems like a nice material, and the layout updates make a lot of sense. The updated Goshawk 6300 is on my short list; I suspect I'll need to upsize later this year for family backpacking with little kids.

I really like the fit, adjustability, and versatility of the Seek packs. Living in a rain forest (western WA) I really appreciate the use of water proof fabrics - they make a massive difference IMO.

Venom One

WKR
No horseshoe zipper or method for accessing stuff at the bottom??

The material is intriguing, but if I have to dump everything out to get to something at the bottom, it's a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: After watching the video, I see there's a full side zipper that wasn't visible in all the other pictures I saw.

Last edited: