Seek Outside 2022 Pack Updates

my biggest issue with waterproof material for pack back is here on the coast, they will get water inside, whether it be through the seams through days of rain, or opening your pack in bad weather.... they do a very good job of shedding the water, but some makes it in and has no way to get back out. i would love to see a stock option to add grommets... i'm sure it's a fairly easy DIY program, but would likely void the warranty from any company... a perfect pack bag for blacktail hunting would be like what Seek Outside builds with grommets in the bottom... i know not everyone would want them, but i bet most would (especially after hunting in heavy rain a few days) water pooling in the bottom of the bag is more annoying than heavy waterlogged cordura.

an option on the order page would be a cool thing from a utilitarian aspect for using waterproof materials in wet weather. i remember buying a waterproof pack a few years ago for winter steelhead fishing, thinking it would be awesome to keep everything dry... got stuff way more wet if it ended up in the bottom of the bag, and same thing happened with my Seek Outside... simple fix, but would void most warranties if the customer did it

Venom One

WKR
my biggest issue with waterproof material for pack back is here on the coast, they will get water inside, whether it be through the seams through days of rain, or opening your pack in bad weather.... they do a very good job of shedding the water, but some makes it in and has no way to get back out. i would love to see a stock option to add grommets... i'm sure it's a fairly easy DIY program, but would likely void the warranty from any company... a perfect pack bag for blacktail hunting would be like what Seek Outside builds with grommets in the bottom... i know not everyone would want them, but i bet most would (especially after hunting in heavy rain a few days) water pooling in the bottom of the bag is more annoying than heavy waterlogged cordura.

an option on the order page would be a cool thing from a utilitarian aspect for using waterproof materials in wet weather. i remember buying a waterproof pack a few years ago for winter steelhead fishing, thinking it would be awesome to keep everything dry... got stuff way more wet if it ended up in the bottom of the bag, and same thing happened with my Seek Outside... simple fix, but would void most warranties if the customer did it

Grommets seem like an easy solution that wouldn't be costly or hard. I wonder if a grommet would allow water to wick up into the bag? I suppose if they used a cone-shaped grommet rather than a flat one, it would funnel water out, but resist it from wicking up...

bozeman

WKR
One of the most comfortable bags on the market…….esthetics/material color…..concerned it won’t match your face paint? Really? Easy way to see who wants to ‘look the part’. Give ‘em a break, especially if you’ve never owned a SO pack.

Yeah idk about the grommets on the bottom, i feel like I'd be getting some mud and water in the bottom of the bag if i set it down in wet conditions. But it may work, idk.

Those new bags look awesome!

Super easy to add yourself if you think you need them. Wouldn't void our warranty...we just wouldn't cover fixing your grommets.

FWIW grommets let water in when you set the pack down.
good to know. grommets can let a little water in if you set it on really wet ground/standing water, but i know water is getting in no matter what, i want it to have a way out without emptying my whole pack every day to dump it out.

i guess my niche for waterproof material is different than most, but if it's wet enough you get water intrusion through grommets, you are going to have more water in the bottom of your bag trapped without grommets, even seam sealed, open your bag a couple times on a wet day, and a couple more times the next, then the next day dig around to get something out of the bottom and there is a layer of water in the bottom, and everything that can soak water up has.... that was my real world experience using xpac on the coast hunting multiple days in a row in wet weather.... grommets solve that issue.

that was the only issue with that material i had, and there are a lot of pros to it... light, doesn't saturate and get heavy when wet, and blood wipes right out. for my particular use, grommets make that material an overall improvement (have done it in other waterproof bags) without, the trapped water made me prefer cordura

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a edc style day pack ??

Any more info on this

I have a lanner but I would like something in the 2000-2500ci also

CoStick

WKR
Which new material is more eco friendly? Sounds like both are recycled material?

tdot

WKR
Is the interior waterproofing on these new materials a coating (like Cordura) or a laminate like the X-Pac? Expected lifespan of the waterproofing? How long have you guys actually had bags in use for?

sndmn11

WKR
good to know. grommets can let a little water in if you set it on really wet ground/standing water, but i know water is getting in no matter what, i want it to have a way out without emptying my whole pack every day to dump it out.
Stick two of these together so you have a peanut shaped grommet plugger, remove to drain.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the interior waterproofing on these new materials a coating (like Cordura) or a laminate like the X-Pac? Expected lifespan of the waterproofing? How long have you guys actually had bags in use for?
Laminate waterproofing. It is NOT as loud as XPAC and has a bit softer feel. The waterproofing should be forever , The Ultra will not even absorb water in its face fabric because it is UHMWPE like Spectra fishing line. We have had more than a few packs out for testing, It has been used on Chuhach late season, archery Dall sheep hunt, Pack Raft stone sheep hunts , SE Alaska hunts .. and many others. We built about 20 testers.

That being said, if you are real determined to screw it up .. I'm sure you can eventually screw it up somehow .. but in real world , responsible use, it is fantastic.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a edc style day pack ??

Any more info on this

I have a lanner but I would like something in the 2000-2500ci also
EDC = Every Day Carry.

The one , we are working on is a well pocketed, horseshoe style zip pack in the 2000-2500 range. I have no ETA, but the current sample is nice.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

How easy is it to grab a nalgene out of the water bottle pocket while the pack is on? I’ve gone through many packs with this “nalgene pocket”, but I damn near have to pop my shoulder out of the socket to actually grab the bottle.

I’m really digging the new packs, color and all. I’ll be ordering one as soon as I figure out which size. I sent a email Friday but maybe you can answer my question here? We’ve got a 1.5 year old daughter and wife and I will be backpacking with her this summer, I’ll obviously be carrying everyone’s stuff. We are experienced ultralight backpackers and don’t bring much excess. Will the Kenai at 5400 ci be enough room, or should I be going to a 6300 ci? I know you guys are generous with you size ratings so hoping the Kenai will work as I like that layout.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk