Seek Outside 2022 Pack Updates

Kevin,

How easy is it to grab a nalgene out of the water bottle pocket while the pack is on? I’ve gone through many packs with this “nalgene pocket”, but I damn near have to pop my shoulder out of the socket to actually grab the bottle.

I’m really digging the new packs, color and all. I’ll be ordering one as soon as I figure out which size. I sent a email Friday but maybe you can answer my question here? We’ve got a 1.5 year old daughter and wife and I will be backpacking with her this summer, I’ll obviously be carrying everyone’s stuff. We are experienced ultralight backpackers and don’t bring much excess. Will the Kenai at 5400 ci be enough room, or should I be going to a 6300 ci? I know you guys are generous with you size ratings so hoping the Kenai will work as I like that layout.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested to see what they say but I'd just go with the bigger one. They cinch down the same and the weight and price is very close

darpoh

FNG
EDC = Every Day Carry.

The one , we are working on is a well pocketed, horseshoe style zip pack in the 2000-2500 range. I have no ETA, but the current sample is nice.
Will you be able to attach it to the revolution frame if you wanted to use it for scouting/day pack?

Wrongside

WKR
The new fabric looks really good. Looking forward to the custom pack option being available again, as I’m not a fan of large side pockets.

I was a early adopter of the Paradox/SO Evolution 6300 packs and have been very happy with almost everything about them. Mine is getting a little long in the tooth, and due for replacing. Hopefully with the same basic pack layout, but with improved fabrics and upgraded harness.

I hope the stuff looks better in person - sorry, but now the packs all look like something Gossamer Gear would sell, not hunting packs.

I think the aftermarket value of the green x-pac pack bags just shot up. Wish I’d bought an extra when I had the chance.
Throw a blaze orange talon and some blood, sweat and dirt on it you'll be fine

Bearsears

WKR
Love the new fabrics but I'm really bummed out that the Brooks and Saker are going away. After hunting with 2 buddies that both have Sakers I had decided to sell my Lanner and switch to a Brooks. I loved how sleek they could get their giant packs to in day hunting mode. I knew I should've ordered sooner than later.

The asymmetrical pockets make sense but suck for leftys like me because I am always putting spotters and tripods on the right side to offset my gun on the left. I know I'm in the minority here though.

Please bring back the Brooks/Saker (or at least make me a one off). It doesn't seem like the detachable brooks pockets will function the same for compressing to day mode like they do integrated and if I have to add them to a different style pack the whole setup I'd assume is going to be heavier and more cumbersome than a Brooks/Saker would have been.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin,

How easy is it to grab a nalgene out of the water bottle pocket while the pack is on? I’ve gone through many packs with this “nalgene pocket”, but I damn near have to pop my shoulder out of the socket to actually grab the bottle.

I’m really digging the new packs, color and all. I’ll be ordering one as soon as I figure out which size. I sent a email Friday but maybe you can answer my question here? We’ve got a 1.5 year old daughter and wife and I will be backpacking with her this summer, I’ll obviously be carrying everyone’s stuff. We are experienced ultralight backpackers and don’t bring much excess. Will the Kenai at 5400 ci be enough room, or should I be going to a 6300 ci? I know you guys are generous with you size ratings so hoping the Kenai will work as I like that layout.

Thanks

1. We ported the Flight Two Bottle Pockets (patent pending) to the rest of the line. Effectively , they drop the bottles by two inches, allowing easier reach. You can also lower the frame / load in relation to the belt /load anchor another inch with little effort or negative impact. This should allow easy bottle access with some shoulder flexibility. If not, we have a bottle holster you can mount to the belt , which makes access a breeze.
2. Our plan on custom builder , is mostly side pocket config (asymmetrical, tall , regular ) and zipper adds and deletes ... so builder will be simpler. BTW , we took the 3 most popular custom build and built them into the line (asymmetrical pockets, integrated Lanner and brooks pocket one side) .
3. Brooks / Saker . We are in the business of selling packs . That being said, we also combine the idea of what sells , with what we believe to be the best option. We do NOT really want to offer brooks and saker again .. as they were our lowest sellers .. BUT the side pockets sold very well in custom builder and it was often ONE side pocket. (caps for emphasis) . We will be releasing the details on the add on side pockets very shortly , they have already been photographed etc and just need a few details , but WE believe that they are stronger as an add on then as a pack (see item 4).
4. As an add on , you use them to add up to 2200 CI to any pack. You can use them just on the frame at 2200 CI. You can pair them with a merlin and have about a 3400 CI pack .. add a small dry bag and you have almost anything covered. The weight for a pair is pretty reasonable at 12 -13 ounces. We believe the flexibility they bring to the system will be more valuable than the Brooks an Saker were as stand alone packs. Maybe we do some limited runs in the future if the demand is there for the Brooks/ Saker .. but our plan and desire is to offer the add on wings only.

Now lets talk fabrics, granted it is a small sample size, BUT , at the expo , Ultra (charcoal) is outselling wolf by a very very large margin. Some folks, may not be enamored with the look , but most people love it (hunters included) and dont care.

Any other questions ?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will you be able to attach it to the revolution frame if you wanted to use it for scouting/day pack?
That is the goal with a companion on the flight frame for EDC use. I have the one on the Flight suspension and like it a lot. I'll check the fitting for the main frame this week in shop (Ive been super busy at the expo .. and not in my design mind) .

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question

I truly love yourgear and I have tried most other brands. I do think it’s smart to have a smaller bag say 2000-2500 that you can use on the revolution frame.

I currently have a lanner and like it but I like the look of the kenai as I’m a big fan of the Asymmetrical water bottle holder. Will this pack work on the revolution frame?

Last edited:
Will you be offering new belt pockets to match the new bags? If so, will the design will allow one handed operation? The current belt pockets are tough to use.

tdot

WKR
1. We ported the Flight Two Bottle Pockets (patent pending) to the rest of the line. Effectively , they drop the bottles by two inches, allowing easier reach. You can also lower the frame / load in relation to the belt /load anchor another inch with little effort or negative impact. This should allow easy bottle access with some shoulder flexibility. If not, we have a bottle holster you can mount to the belt , which makes access a breeze.
2. Our plan on custom builder , is mostly side pocket config (asymmetrical, tall , regular ) and zipper adds and deletes ... so builder will be simpler. BTW , we took the 3 most popular custom build and built them into the line (asymmetrical pockets, integrated Lanner and brooks pocket one side) .
3. Brooks / Saker . We are in the business of selling packs . That being said, we also combine the idea of what sells , with what we believe to be the best option. We do NOT really want to offer brooks and saker again .. as they were our lowest sellers .. BUT the side pockets sold very well in custom builder and it was often ONE side pocket. (caps for emphasis) . We will be releasing the details on the add on side pockets very shortly , they have already been photographed etc and just need a few details , but WE believe that they are stronger as an add on then as a pack (see item 4).
4. As an add on , you use them to add up to 2200 CI to any pack. You can use them just on the frame at 2200 CI. You can pair them with a merlin and have about a 3400 CI pack .. add a small dry bag and you have almost anything covered. The weight for a pair is pretty reasonable at 12 -13 ounces. We believe the flexibility they bring to the system will be more valuable than the Brooks an Saker were as stand alone packs. Maybe we do some limited runs in the future if the demand is there for the Brooks/ Saker .. but our plan and desire is to offer the add on wings only.

Now lets talk fabrics, granted it is a small sample size, BUT , at the expo , Ultra (charcoal) is outselling wolf by a very very large margin. Some folks, may not be enamored with the look , but most people love it (hunters included) and dont care.

Any other questions ?

So the integrated Saker pocket wont be available as an option for the custom pack? My last custom pack had a Saker style pocket on the left, water bottle on the right and it was perfect. Wouldn't carry my ATX95 in a loose pocket that is an add-on. It's way too much weight to flop around when you stop and loosen everything during breaks. I was actually considering ordering the next pack with the Lanner type back pocket and leave the Merlin at home. More and more I am preferring not to have add-on pockets held on by the gate-keeper straps.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question

I truly love yourgear and I have tried most other brands. I do think it’s smart to have a smaller bag say 2000-2500 that you can use on the revolution frame.

I currently have a lanner and like it but I like the look of the kenai as I’m a big fan of the Asymmetrical water bottle holder. Will this pack work on the revolution frame?
Kenai will work fine on Revolution frame BUT be an integrated pack with a load shelf internal. If you want it as breakaway , you will have to go custom Lanner and change the pockets. That should be up soon.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question

We hope to have that soon, I can answer more late next week

tdot

WKR
Kevin,

Thanks

IME the water bottle pocket is very accessible. I've not enjoyed using any previous water bottle pocket and always carried water on my belt, but I've changed that with the SO packs. However, on the Integrated frames (Kenai) the water bottle pocket will rise up when you add frame extensions, which for me, made it inaccessible. I didn't have this problem with the Non-Integrated frame.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So the integrated Saker pocket wont be available as an option for the custom pack? My last custom pack had a Saker style pocket on the left, water bottle on the right and it was perfect. Wouldn't carry my ATX95 in a loose pocket that is an add-on. It's way too much weight to flop around when you stop and loosen everything during breaks. I was actually considering ordering the next pack with the Lanner type back pocket and leave the Merlin at home. More and more I am preferring not to have add-on pockets held on by the gate-keeper straps.
I get where you are coming from .. heck we may have used you in our statistical analysis of many people order one long pocket on a side or two. So , being 100 percent transparent .. maybe we do it all integrated, maybe we dont .. lets see where we are in a few weeks .. though I think the add on pockets are pretty tight and do NOT have much play but you are correct the top does NOT anchor to the frame. Outside of that, they are probably as tight as possible without some soft of convoluted weave attachment
Kevin

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IME the water bottle pocket is very accessible. I've not enjoyed using any previous water bottle pocket and always carried water on my belt, but I've changed that with the SO packs. However, on the Integrated frames (Kenai) the water bottle pocket will rise up when you add frame extensions, which for me, made it inaccessible. I didn't have this problem with the Non-Integrated frame.
You are correct on that , its a limitation of the platform . labor available. Same pack on the breakaway platform does not have that between 24 and 26 .. but will crawl up frame on 28.

Total transparency. If we make it too complex, we have more errors , which create more loss, and a loss of efficiency which means we raise prices or loose money. We have several sewers , which means it has to be more than one person who really knows what they are doing. We do our best to balance it all ... however I detest mistakes. More options means more mistakes.

I do think we frustrate people like yourself, who know enough about sewing to do some of the stuff yourself. That is totally cool to DIY like that. The problem on our end , is being able to do as much of it as we can , while having minimal mistakes through production and shipping , and being clean in our communication and notes .. etc so that we can make money , you can be 100 percent happy , and there is minimal screw ups.

I hope that all makes sense. In a small vacuum most of what you ask for is reasonable and simple BUT it gets so much more complicated when you have separate departments, different people etc within them .,,.. . If you were local, I would tell you as I have some other locals .. sure just go get our sewer to do it on there own time ..pay me for the main bag and them whatever for the change .. as long as I don't loose money on it we are great and everyone wins. You are a long ways away geographically.

Sorry for the total transparent mind dump .. but those really are the limitations.

Kevin