Seek Outside in Windy Conditions?

Did you happen to ask which of the poles is stronger and more appropriate for high winds, the carbon or alloy?
Not apples to apples but Hilleberg is considered by many to be the best tent avaliable and they offer exactly zero CF poles. Just food for thaught.

4th_point

WKR
Not apples to apples but Hilleberg is considered by many to be the best tent avaliable and they offer exactly zero CF poles. Just food for thaught.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well, but I am not up to date on the latest CF.

The application (flexible poles vs rigid center pole) is also different, plus rigid poles have holes for adjustable length. Still, CF doesn't seem to be the choice for more serious applications as you mentioned.

I don't think that they use silpoly either but that's a different topic!

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I've made it through nights where I thought the cimarron would fail, but it held strong. Never had a way of finding out windspeed, but the gusts were memorable.

keller

WKR
I asked seek outside when I bought 8 man tipi.they said alloy pole stronger carbon lighter.so I went alloy.
Did you happen to ask which of the poles is stronger and more appropriate for high winds, the carbon or alloy?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
On this night in Oregon we had 70 plus wind with no issue other than as noted sleep was tough with no protection from the wind. I have a carbon pole but always cut a small tree in place of it with zero issues.something to consider…
also I have one of the rei tent poles never used if someone wants it for $15 close to Spokane

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg