Seek Outside Lanner Testing & Review

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh,

I too am really considering this pack as my one do it all pack. Being very new to pack terminology I am trying to determine if this pack has the straps or fabric "shelf" under the bottom of the bag so you could place your tent, or a sleeping pad, or a wet tarp, etc to the bottom of the frame. The SO website looks like they call it a load shelf on the Unaweep and it appears to be a flap of nylon fabric that can be extended away from the bottom of the pack frame to carry items externally that you do not want inside the pack. Thanks.
The straps under the bag could be used to strap on a tent or bag, but for wet gear a better option may be one of the side pockets. They are large enough for a wet tent and poles plus it had drain holes to convey water down and out. The load shelf could be used as well but I prefer to use it strictly for hauling meat.

Good luck with your decision.
-Josh

got a peregrine ordered tonight with a few accessories and a Eolus.... should have a month ago, would be handy right now, but the world was weird a month ago, haha.

Seek Outside has been on my radar awhile, but more just respecting what they were putting out, then i started researching, and watching reviews like this thread. between what they offer and the satisfaction of owners, they are certainly in the conversation of top pack manufacturers

the Lanner is impressive with how big it is, how much integrated storage there is, and how light it is with all of that. glad i looked into it more. seems like the most versatile frame system out with all of the configurations and options.

pretty crazy bang for your buck all things considered

Bearsears

WKR
got a peregrine ordered tonight with a few accessories and a Eolus.... should have a month ago, would be handy right now, but the world was weird a month ago, haha.

Seek Outside has been on my radar awhile, but more just respecting what they were putting out, then i started researching, and watching reviews like this thread. between what they offer and the satisfaction of owners, they are certainly in the conversation of top pack manufacturers

the Lanner is impressive with how big it is, how much integrated storage there is, and how light it is with all of that. glad i looked into it more. seems like the most versatile frame system out with all of the configurations and options.

pretty crazy bang for your buck all things considered
I couldnt agree more. I'm always surprised the packs arent even more popular with as versatile as they are and how well they carry heavy loads. Congratulations on your purchases you are going to love them. I have the Eolus also and it is a wonderful shelter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I had a custom bag in my cart for weeks debating 4800 or 5400 and finally decided on the 5400 because of the shroud pocket.

Just got it today and so far I'm not digging the bag.
Doesn't the hydro port look ridiculously high?
This is at 26" and it is clear over the top center once you hang a bladder from it.

And it probably because I'm a dummy but I can't for the life of me find a good way to secure the snow collar in day mode so that the access pocket is usable.
It only gets 1 roll without rolling up the pocket and then when you suck it down it pretty much just unrolls it.
20211126_160111.jpg

So I had a custom bag in my cart for weeks debating 4800 or 5400 and finally decided on the 5400 because of the shroud pocket.

This is at 26" and it is clear over the top center once you hang a bladder from it.

And it probably because I'm a dummy but I can't for the life of me find a good way to secure the snow collar in day mode so that the access pocket is usable.
It only gets 1 roll without rolling up the pocket and then when you suck it down it pretty much just unrolls it.

I have a similar bag but its a 4800 so i cant help with the shroud pocket. My hydroport is in the same spot tho, its a bit funny looking but it works fine. Even with a load between the bag and frame and no extensions in at 24" tall it works for me. Havent had it in a torrential downpour or anything yet but it hasnt leaked on me so far. I do use a lid with it tho so my setup might just be totally different than yours. Hopefully you figure it out since it was custom! Lol

Attachments

• 20210930_173217.jpg
    20210930_173217.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211004_185631.jpg
    20211004_185631.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 48
I have a similar bag but its a 4800 so i cant help with the shroud pocket. My hydroport is in the same spot tho, its a bit funny looking but it works fine. Even with a load between the bag and frame and no extensions in at 24" tall it works for me. Havent had it in a torrential downpour or anything yet but it hasnt leaked on me so far. I do use a lid with it tho so my setup might just be totally different than yours. Hopefully you figure it out since it was custom! Lol
Thanks for the reply.
I might just have to eat the restocking fee and order another bag.
My gut kept telling me 4800 I just thought I'd run out of storage without a lid.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yo uacn use the shroud pocket in day mode fairly easily. Do a couple rolls , and clip it around the frame.

Bearsears

WKR
I have a Lanner. Ive found that I like running my bladder between the bag and the frame better. I just hang it from the half moon curve at the top of the frame with a tiny carabiner. 2. To use the shroud pocket in day mode, I roll it a couple of times and then fold it over and clip each side to a quick release buckle connected at mid frame.

JeremiahH

WKR

View attachment 350072
I did a custom 4800 this year with the big zip side pockets. I really like it so far. I thought about the shroud pocket and 5400 but my bag with pockets is like 6800 so it's enough space already. I think the gate keeper to side release kit would work really well. Could try it before sending it back

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

sdirks3

FNG
I’ve been using the new pack a little at work packing equipment into the wilderness via snowshoe. So far I’m liking the frame and bag. The bag is pretty dang big and really accessible with the two-way full zipper.
1eb88c487cba79dc037e14c5ef34aa73.jpg

For reference the blue object in the pack is a full set of snow tubes about 35 inches long. They are bulky and a little cumbersome to pack around. The Lanner swallowed it, plus food, clothes, and avalanche equipment with room for more.
c5e84a166c831aed1c2a35f52c73f1b4.jpg

I’m also finding the smaller external zippered pockets perfect for organization and quick access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been looking between this pack and a goshawk, but quick question on the face pockets here -

It almost looks like the zippered pocket you're putting your notebook into has a mesh back? Could you verify if those pockets are waterproof?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been looking between this pack and a goshawk, but quick question on the face pockets here -

It almost looks like the zippered pocket you're putting your notebook into has a mesh back? Could you verify if those pockets are waterproof?
There is a large mesh stuff pocket similar to the Divide, Peregrine. The zippered pockets are sewn on the front of the mesh pocket. The zippered pockets are fully enclosed and will be water resistant, but not water proof. You can seam seal them and up the water resistance.

sdirks3

FNG
There is a large mesh stuff pocket similar to the Divide, Peregrine. The zippered pockets are sewn on the front of the mesh pocket. The zippered pockets are fully enclosed and will be water resistant, but not water proof. You can seam seal them and up the water resistance.
Perfect! That's what I thought it was, but for some reason the picture just messed with my head