Seek outside tents/tipis?

They are great... But expensive, and there is a bit of a learning curve with pitch and managing moisture. I’ve got 3.

DST tarp. Great early season solo set up, glassing shelter or emergency shelter. It goes with me everywhere.

Cimmeron plus Large U-turn. Great for 1-2 with a stove. Light enough for one man to pack and roomy enough to be comfortable for several days.

8 man- with SXL stove. Just bought this one, should be a comfortable base camp for two on cots, and packable with 3-4.

I tried to use the Cimmeron as a base camp for two last year and there wasn’t nearly enough room with cots. Brushing up against the walls got our gear wet and it was a constant battle.

Bottom line, you need a few shelters in your arsenal to really make things work depending on the situation.

I have/had:

• Silvertip
    • Great shelter, but curiosity got the best of me and I sold it for an Eolus
  • Eolus
    • Awesome shelter, felt roomier than the Silvertip (I dunno how they compare sq ft wise). Sold it because for me it overlapped too much with the DST, but I liked it a lot
  • DST tarp
    • Still have this - it's great. Very versatile. I think everyone should have one
  • Redcliff
    • This was a car camping palace for my wife and I. It's great, but it's big and heavy and felt like overkill for us. I sold it to fund the Cimarron UL purchase
  • Cimarron UL
    • This is where I'm at currently. It's perfect. Wish I would have bought it first (it wasn't a thing yet) but I got here as fast as I could. No complaints.

I was on a goat hunt this year and night number two in a snow storm the wind damn near tore the tipi in half. Lost a bunch of other gear in the wind. I had a seek BT2 (which tore) my experience with that left me speechless. It was older but had never been used until this year. Seeks warranty is sending me a new silver tip because mine wasn’t fixable, so there warranty service is good. First night had terrible condensation, so I believe these are best paired with a stove.

TomJoad

WKR
Cimarron light user here. 2 with a stove or 3 without. No cots. I also use a SO large u-turn, great size for this shelter. You could fit more if there are loved ones... like my family of 4.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
20201011_092220.jpgi ran the cimarron with large stove for 12 days backcountry for 2 this year. Weather was 55 and sunny at the start and 40mph winds and blizzard for about 8 straight days. Temps dropped to about 0. We stayed warm, dry, and decently comfortable. I wouldn't have minded a little extra space for that long but it did the job. very impressed with the abuse they hold up to.

Attachments

• 20201012_191534.jpg
    20201012_191534.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 31