Seek Outside- Why not?

Scoot

WKR
Their online and social presence is pretty dominant when they are bashing trump, bashing assault rifles, and bashing the second amendment.
Is this true? I don't do social media, so I could be blind to this. My son has an SO pack and I really like it. It's different than my Kifaru, but I like it just as much. I would consider another in a second. Unless, of course, they are anit-2A and politically affiliated in a way that makes me not want to give them my money. If what Greenbelt said above is true, they won't get anymore of my business.

Drenalin

WKR
There was a thread awhile back that turned a bunch of people off to SO.

Over the last handful of years, I've had some SO packs and tarps. For me, the pack was the most comfortable I've ever tried, which includes Kuiu, MR, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and Exo (K3). And it wasn't particularly close. The hip belt options - captured vs not, lumbar vs no lumbar - really put it over the top for me. I hated the pack fabric, which I realize isn't "supposed" to be an issue, but it absolutely was due to noise and how/where I hunt. This was their green XPAC, not the gray fabrics they're using now. I moved on from the pack because of the fabric, but in hindsight I should have kept the frame and just stuck a Kuiu bag on it, or rigged up a way to put an Exo bag on it.

They make as good a pack as just about anyone, with the caveat that it has to fit you, which is true for every pack available.

Phaseolus

WKR
Their facility in Grand Junction is maxed out capacity wise so there is no need for more aggressive marketing Without getting bigger.

ethan

WKR
I think there was a blatant exaggeration propagated by some folks on here who choose to push things with straw man fallacy. Dislike of a former president doesn't mean one wants to take away your guns, violate any of your rights, or have hate for half of this country.

Here is the thread I am referring to for you to make up your own mind: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...-control-advocate-ryan-busse-air-time.299955/

Agreed, unfortunate sign of the world we live in.

HNTR918

WKR
My entire hunting group has moved to SO packs over the last 4 years.
We previously used Kifaru, MR, SG, IA, Sitka, & ES packs.

There was a learning curve to them compared to others.
They don't look like your traditional hunting pack.
They don't pay "influencers" or spend a lot on marketing.

They do save 3-6lbs in pack weight alone compared to some of the brands listed above for the same capacity.
The hip belt is extremely comfortable.
We have used them to pack out 128 lbs of meat with no failures. (Weighed at truck.)

kickemall

WKR
Once again a thread goes political. The other thread ran its course. This is a warning to ALL folks in this thread-go back and edit all political crap out or I will. If I have to do it, it’s coming with a warning and or ban.
I'd hate to see that happen. I don't think anyone's been out of line just stating facts which are pretty important when deciding to support a company - or not. I respect your decision either way.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
SO makes good packs. They are a little finicky, but that is what gives them a massive amount of flexibility.

I have two SO packs currently, even though it is notably heavier, the Exo K4 I picked up recently will probably replace them. There are small annoyances with the SO, my primary complaint is that I fall between their hip belt sizes and a small does not wrap my iliac crest adequately while a medium leaves little adjustability. The 1 inch buck is also annoying to me and I don't think it adds value over a single 2 inch buckle. The 2 connection point end up collapsing together on the belt.

The frame rubs the top of my glutes, this does not hurt, but puts extra weat on my pants at the belt attachment points.

I will play with both for a while though. The SO certainly does the job (to include hauling 120 pounds) and going with an Exo is more about preference. The question is, do I like things that have nothing to do with comfort and function enough to add 2 pounds.

I ditched my Exo K3 do to a functional issue, but loved the design, which is why I got the K4.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'd hate to see that happen. I don't think anyone's been out of line just stating facts which are pretty important when deciding to support a company - or not. I respect your decision either way.
The other thread allowed everyone to speak their mind on the topic. We don’t need a second one.
Someone even put a link to it-which is totally fine-and those that want to read it can.
THIS threads topic is their packs. It’s really that simple.
This is about thread derailment, and nothing else.
And if anyone wants to know, as a 5th Gen U.S. Marine, gun owner, and 2nd amendment supporter, my opinion of SO and their values or beliefs, has zero value in this thread, as it is about packs.

Antares

WKR
SO Revolution frame is the only frame I have and I love it. Used it extensively (and exclusively) for the last 3 years. I don't have any of their packs (bags), but I love the frame. Light, flexible, comfortable empty or with a big load.

Antares

WKR
Not looking for the arguments on here, but yes it's very very very true. There is a podcast where they interview an anti 2a nut job and all have a hearty laugh about stripping away all of our rights. There is also many pics of a now deleted social medium platform from the owner stating his ignorant opinion on assault rifles and much more than I can remember now. Sounds like you may have some respect for yourself, so you may want to do some research on this topic. I'll leave it at that.

Are you not seeing the warnings from the mods or what?

Packs. The question was about packs.

I sure enjoy my old fortress pack and 8 man tipi. But a lot of miles on both. I switched from Kifaru. It was a great pack but I could never get it to fit how I wanted. As stated earlier, several great manufacturers out there - we are all very lucky. Packs are like boots - nothing trumps how it fits you specifically. One of these brands might fit better or be more comfortable to you than another, regardless of how much your friend swears by a different one.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s the link to the SO thread regarding things other than their products. Let’s leave that out of this discussion. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...-control-advocate-ryan-busse-air-time.299955/
@Team4LongGun has already mentioned that this thread is about their packs and should stay on topic. To give another perspective of why we’re not letting this go on a tangent is that rokslide is a gear focused forum. In the past other brands did something that people didn’t agree with and every thread turned to a dumpster fire. We’re simply trying to stay out in front of it instead of having to heavily moderate afterwards. A companies stance on things can certainly be apart of why you choose to do business with them or not however it’s best to keep it separate.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I actually didn't cause I wasn't reading the thread. Was answering a question that was asked by someone else.
Thanks for your honesty but it would be better practice to keep up with the thread you’re responding to.

bsnedeker

WKR
Here’s the link to the SO thread regarding things other than their products. Let’s leave that out of this discussion. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...-control-advocate-ryan-busse-air-time.299955/
@Team4LongGun has already mentioned that this thread is about their packs and should stay on topic. To give another perspective of why we’re not letting this go on a tangent is that rokslide is a gear focused forum. In the past other brands did something that people didn’t agree with and every thread turned to a dumpster fire. We’re simply trying to stay out in front of it instead of having to heavily moderate afterwards. A companies stance on things can certainly be apart of why you choose to do business with them or not however it’s best to keep it separate.
The topic is why aren't their packs more popular... why aren't they discussed as much as other brands. The topic does NOT specify that the only reasons have to be about the actual packs.... that is something you moderators have added in yourselves for some arbitrary reason.

Last I checked, SO was still a sponsor of this board coincidentally. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the heavy-handed moderation of this thread, though!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

@Josh Boyd @Matt Cashell and I have done SO pack reviews, Josh has done several.

I do agree that their website doesn't highlight hunting through pictures or other media forms. I disagree about the target market for their packs as they are specifically aimed at hunters except for the Flight series. None of the load capacity, the external Revolution frame, the integrated Evolution frame, or the volume capacity, is needed for thru-hiking.

I think they do not get as much fanfare due to their brand personality not falling in line with what a lot of hunters think a hunting company "should" be. That is a deliberate choice on their part to be less boisterous, brand first, and in general just let their products speak for themselves. I think there are at least four fully capable pack companies producing in the USA, and I would bet a lot of money that the number one reason people buy what they buy, and talk about what they use, is because they like that brand fits their personality.
Didn’t know hunting is “boisterous” now? I think it’s pretty clear why they aren’t more popular with hunters.

sndmn11

WKR
Didn’t know hunting is “boisterous” now? I think it’s pretty clear why they aren’t more popular with hunters.

Marketing sure can be, and it is definitely a philosophy in the active lifestyle vertical! I think there's also a steady stream of threads on here about influencers, organic social, hunting shows, etc.

Probably would be an even better policy if companies would keep their personal politics out of their business dealings. If they did these types of threads never occur. But oh well, many companies don’t know their target demographic very well so these threads proliferate.