Seek Outside- Why not?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The topic is why aren't their packs more popular... why aren't they discussed as much as other brands. The topic does NOT specify that the only reasons have to be about the actual packs.... that is something you moderators have added in yourselves for some arbitrary reason.

Last I checked, SO was still a sponsor of this board coincidentally. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the heavy-handed moderation of this thread, though!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
To your first paragraph-Yes, to a degree. It’s when people come in to grind their axe, dominate a discussion, beat a dead horse or use it as a sounding board for themselves that’s when some direction is given. In this case it was given repeatedly. Responding with bullet points and leaving your thoughts for others to chew on is fine (some did just that).

To your second paragraph- Yes they are a sponsor. Us moderators are here to help keep this a place for fair discussion regardless if it’s a sponsor or not.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
pack has too much depth and not enough width. Compression to the frame is not good and it has a “swinging” feeling. While the frame doesn't sag everything else does under load. Especially the shoulder harness because it’s nylon connected to nylon connected to nylon. They need to have the gatekeeper loops directly on the frame like other packs and make the bag slightly wider than the frame and take some depth away.

204guy

WKR
The topic is why aren't their packs more popular... why aren't they discussed as much as other brands. The topic does NOT specify that the only reasons have to be about the actual packs.... that is something you moderators have added in yourselves for some arbitrary reason.

Last I checked, SO was still a sponsor of this board coincidentally. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the heavy-handed moderation of this thread, though!

No kidding, they’re not popular in my household because I always had an “off” feeling about the owner. I’m pretty average so I’d assume I’m wasn’t alone in that. Then it was all confirmed in the above mentioned thread. You want to be popular don’t alienate your potential customers.

Drenalin

WKR
SO Revolution frame is the only frame I have and I love it. Used it extensively (and exclusively) for the last 3 years. I don't have any of their packs (bags), but I love the frame. Light, flexible, comfortable empty or with a big load.
Which bag(s) are you using on their frame? And did you have to modify the bag in any way to get it to work well?

P.S. Y’all chill till Antares gets time to reply, then feel free to voice your outrage and get this locked up. Thanks in advance!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member

Let me be crystal clear. You are questioning my integrity. This is something I do not take lightly. The owners of this site can fire me tomorrow, but I stand with my principles. You can be cute with just about anyone, but it won't fly with me. Hell, your not too far from me, if there is further confusion, happy to discuss in person.
For the record, I am a VOLUNTEER moderator, with zero affiliation with any sponsor, nor am I paid. My opinion is solely my own. Over and out.

MCS

FNG
They are a nice pack but they have some negitives also. The belt slips on my sitka shirts but they work good with my wool shirts. The clips are a pain in the ass too latch and un latch. They also sometimes come unlatched when I put my pack down.

The pack is water proof and doesn't soak up blood. They are also very lightweight and durable.

I will probably try a different brand on my next pack. I've had kuiu, mystery ranch and exo before seekoutside.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a Stone Glacier frame and a few different bags of theirs for several years; was always very satisfied with it's performance.

I also had a Seek Outside Divide pack for several years that I used for winter backpacking and longer trips.

In a moment of clarity :ROFLMAO: I decided that do I really need as many packs as I have? I decided to give the SO pack a try in the hunting arena. Having used both, I would give the edge to Stone Glacier for hauling heavier loads. But the SO is roughly 2 lbs (40%) lighter than the SG and as is hunting is just one my endeavors, I gave the nod to the SO and sold the SG.

Both quality packs, both have excellent customer service and both well worth the price of entry.

Antares

WKR
Which bag(s) are you using on their frame? And did you have to modify the bag in any way to get it to work well?

P.S. Y’all chill till Antares gets time to reply, then feel free to voice your outrage and get this locked up. Thanks in advance!

I use two Kuiu bags. An Ultra 2200 for early season and a Pro 3600 for later season. You have to cut the buckles off to accommodate the SO gatekeepers, but there’s a loop on the bags everywhere there’s a loop on the frame, so they mate up great.

I want a third bag. Something in the 4800 cu in range for late season multi day trips.

JohnB

WKR
They are a nice pack but they have some negitives also. The belt slips on my sitka shirts but they work good with my wool shirts. The clips are a pain in the ass too latch and un latch. They also sometimes come unlatched when I put my pack down.

These threads always amuse me due to the difference of opinion. I love the clips and have never had one come unstrapped. It goes to show how everyone uses their gear a bit differently.

I do agree with you about occasional belt slippage but for me I've always attributed that to the fact that I should have a medium belt instead of my large that is tightened just about as far as it can go. I gotta track down a medium belt this summer.

Clarktar

WKR
Let me be crystal clear. You are questioning my integrity. This is something I do not take lightly. The owners of this site can fire me tomorrow, but I stand with my principles. You can be cute with just about anyone, but it won't fly with me. Hell, your not too far from me, if there is further confusion, happy to discuss in person.
For the record, I am a VOLUNTEER moderator, with zero affiliation with any sponsor, nor am I paid. My opinion is solely my own. Your being a jackass, and insinuating nonsense. Hence the vacation. Over and out.
Thanks for the work in keeping this one apolitical. Used to get here to get away from politics in your face. Ain't like that anymore....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple more points on SO- they do not come with a lumbar pad. Everyone is built differently, but the addition of the lumbar pad was a big plus for me. I think it should come with it from SO, not as additional purchase option.

The SO frame is adjustable. This really is a great feature. Some outfits only offer one frame length, some offer multiple length, but not adjustable.

You can keep the frame shorter when hunting (nice in thick timber) and if you bag an animal, it takes about a minute to add on to the frame length.

bozeman

WKR
What @mtwarden said....the adjustments are quick and easy. I will say the gatekeepers are nice, IMO, until your hands are freezing....then its like trying the impossible.

the floating hip belt is top notch and I actually liked mine without a lumbar pad.....the shape of your spine/back will determine that pretty quickly.

nobody

WKR
Before I start, I've never even tried on a Seek Outside pack or even seen one in the flesh. So take that for what it's worth.

In response as to why they aren't more popular, I frankly didn't even know their company existed until probably 2019, and didn't know they made packs until about a year ago. I knew them as a shelter company when I first heard of them, but I never even knew they had anything to do with the pack industry. They just aren't the name you hear thrown around on all the big review websites or Youtube channels or review videos.

As an example, Huntin' Fool did a video comparing like 7 big name hunting packs. It's actually a good video I feel, and one I've referenced a couple of times over the past couple years. They made no mention of Seek Outside (to be fair, they also didn't mention Kifaru), and I think this happens all the time. Pack comparisons on hunting websites compare the "big names" and oftentimes other solid companies are looked over.

Think about optics. When we mention the "Alpha Glass," the names that come to mind are Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. But take a poll on Rokslide and I bet most guys would agree there are other brands that hang right there close, like Meopta and Kowa. But because they're not the "big names" in the hunting space specifically, they don't have any recognition outside niche spaces like Rokslide. And yes, whether we want to admit it or not, Rokslide is a niche market. Take a poll of the general hunting market and most guys don't even know what Meopta or Kowa are.

I feel Seek suffers from the same type of thing. For guys who are "in the know" it's understood they make a solid product. But get outside of places like Rokslide, and the brand name recognition in the hunting industry falls off a cliff. But Exo, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, ETC. have all the brand recognition in the industry because of... wait for it... marketing. Like it or not, those companies have successfully marketed their way into people's minds, and Seek Outside hasn't done that. And because of the way we as humans consume media and gain knowledge nowadays, electronic marketing is what sells your product.

EDIT TO ADD BELOW:

We buy everything online in modern times, so it does no good to get your product in a big box store. Much like how Jack O'Connor sold a metric boatload of Winchester Model 70's and 270 Winchester chambered rifles by writing about it in Outdoor Life and other hunting magazines, places like Rokslide are the 2023 version of those publications from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and even into the 90's and 2000's. If your product is only making it into one or two of those modern day "publications" (Seek Outside), vs. those same publications plus 1000 more such as podcasts and Youtube reviews and TV shows (Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier, for example), you're going to have a narrower reach than your competitors.

Whether you love or hate modern marketing, it's no different than what guys like Jack O'Conner, Elmer Keith, Warren Page, or Townsend Whelen were doing +/- 50 years ago. The medium through which we receive that marketing may have changed, but the basic means and methods are the same. Seek Outside is struggling with obscurity the same way the WSSM cartridges did or the 6.8 Western or the 6.5 Rem Mag did, which is through unsuccessful marketing RELATIVE TO its competitors. Doesn't make their product any less relevant or any less awesome, it just means they're disadvantaged in the marketplace because of it.

Last edited:

HNTR918

WKR
For those experiencing "slippage" during heavy hauls, my fix was their lumbar pad with extra foam layers in it.

If you are feeling the frame rub on your glutes than you need to adjust which loop the frame screws are mounted to so that if lifts up the frame to belt relationship.

I'm glad the pack is not wider, that is one of my biggest annoyances with some other brands at 6000+ cu they go wider instead of taller and it rubs on everything unless your hunting Alaska Tundra.

I ordered an extra pack of long gate keepers and and extra pack of regular gate keepers. That has allowed me to pack out meat off the bone on the load shelf and all my camp gear in the bag without hassle.

Just a few tips, hope they help.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are feeling the frame rub on your glutes than you need to adjust which loop the frame screws are mounted to so that if lifts up the frame to belt relationship.
That puts the curve of the frame in the wrong spot on my back and makes the pack intolerably painful.

I'm glad the pack is not wider, that is one of my biggest annoyances with some other brands at 6000+ cu they go wider instead of taller and it rubs on everything unless your hunting Alaska Tundra.
Agree, if anything I find SO packs are wider than I like (though not wide enough to cause a problem, which is what matters).

MCS

FNG
For those experiencing "slippage" during heavy hauls, my fix was their lumbar pad with extra foam layers in it.

I ordered an extra pack of long gate keepers and and extra pack of regular gate keepers. That has allowed me to pack out meat off the bone on the load shelf and all my camp gear in the bag without hassle.

Just a few tips, hope they help.
I have the lumbar pad and the pack still slips any time I wear a synthetic shirt.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I will say, I see more Seek Outside packs in the field in Alaska than any of the other top 4 (Kifaru, Exo, SG). I've not tried to track numbers, so that is just a general impression from checking out gear as I pass people on trails.