Seeking a Backcountry Guided Hunt

Maybe I haven't used the right search terms, but I'd like to do a true backcountry hunt in the next year or two. I've done a DIY truck camp/wall tent elk hunt in CO, but I'd like to do the true pack-in with 5+ days of requirements on your back.

But I don't think I'm prepared to do it solo at this point, nor do I want to if it ends up being in grizz country.
Most of the guys I hunt with are nearly 2x my age, and aren't up for it.

I haven't found any guided hunts that offer this, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
Curious if anyone can recommend a guide that offers an experience like this.

The other idea is trying to find a hunting partner in a similar situation.

I have an idea for you. Why don’t you consider either a drop camp or a semi guided hunt. Use the camp as a base camp where you can keep stuff and do bivy hunts from there on your own. Or do you want a full time guide? That way you can get your gear and food into the boonies and you can hunt with no boundaries because you have a packer to get your elk out.

You guys are forgetting one thing: You are ready to go balls to the wall on a hunt that likely leave you exhausted at the end and in much need of some time to recuperate. A guide has to run the mountains weeks before and after you get there. It’s just not physically possible for him to do that. Those sheep guides do one hunt per year like that.

I still think it’s a good idea to pack in and then backpack to your heart’s content from there. When I was outfitting I had clients bivy out over night. It’s a great way to use your energy for the more important stuff.

If you are positive you want to go completely bivy hunting from where you park you definitely need a partner not a guide.

Last edited:
OP
L
Appreciate this input as I didnt considered from a guide / business standpoint.
Semi Guided seems like a good option...I will explore more.
In bear country, I would prefer a full time guide

I have not looked into a Dall Sheep, but imagine it is outside my budget. Up to $8k but closer to $6k.

Oh and by the way... all of my hunters who were hell bound on camping under the stars ended up back in camp. Some because a few days beat them up and they had no choice. Others because well..... why not became their way of thinking once they saw camp and where it was located.

Also the thrill of waking up like Cam Hanes next to elk turned into the reality of living in a tight little tent with condensation hanging from the sides and putting on damp clothes.

The fact is though that there are elk close enough to the road that you don’t have to do that. Nothing wrong with doing it for fun of course. I still enjoy a spike camp but it’s well supplied including a wood stove.

Jd259

WKR
Book a hunt in the thorofare there’s horses involved but that’s about as back country style of a hunt you can get with an outfitter... I’m not a guided hunt type of guy at all but this one hunt is on my buck-list for sure.

jmez

WKR
Need to find a like minded partner since you don't want to go dolo.. Good luck with that. They are hard to come by. A 5 day spike camp hunt isn't that big of an undertaking. It is actually easier on you than a base camp in many situations.

Hiking in and setting up a camp then hunting out from there is far easier than hiking an extra mile or two every night and every am.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I hope you can find what you are looking for, but like others are saying that's a trip better suited for a hunting partner than a guide.

Marble

WKR
If you are new at backpacking into the back country then I would suggest making other smaller weekend trips. The practice helps you refine gear choices, and most of all confidence.

Don't be afraid to go solo. You don't have to go very far in.

Good luck

The sooner you learn to go solo the better off you will be! Once you plan to do it, you will be surprised how easy it is, then all sort of people will want to go with you, but at that point you won’t want them. I’ve killed way more things solo than with someone. About the best I can do at this point is share a camp with a friend, sometimes.

If you are new at backpacking into the back country then I would suggest making other smaller weekend trips. The practice helps you refine gear choices, and most of all confidence.

Don't be afraid to go solo. You don't have to go very far in.

Good luck
Great advice there. Don’t try to kill an elk any further from the road than you need to. Two miles can definitely get you into elk.

If there’s any way at all you can make it happen a summer scouting trip would be invaluable. You can actually lay eyes on the area and your main route in and out. At the same time you can put some of your gear to the test including your legs. You might even cache a few camp items. Tarp, cooker fuel, a gallon of water etc.Maybe cut a little firewood. Find a couple vantage points to get started locating elk.

Then when you go home you’ll have a whole new perspective of the place with time to think about it. That would all be a great start and an insurance policy on your hunt.

Best of luck to you!

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
My last 2 seasons have been total back pack hunts. Never done it solo though because having had to pack an animal out with a partner I would not recommend doing it solo. It would be brutal on your own.
I prefer back pack hunts, but have done both base camp and back pack hunts. In my opinion though 5 days is not enough time. I prefer a minimum of 7 days and typically allow at least 8 days. If hunting with a partner and you get a bull down it can take a full day to maybe 2 days to get the animal out if you consider getting it to a meat processor and taxidermist in order to have the meat fully frozen for the return trip home. In this scenario it doesn't leave a lot of time for the other guy to hunt.

I struggle to find partners that are willing to commit early to a DIY hunt let alone do a back pack style hunt. I typically do archery DIY hunts on public land. Having hunted in CO, ID, MI and WA I have done base camp hunts, outfitter drop camps and back pack hunts. While the outfitter drop camps definitely offer some amenities like packing the animal out and a wood stove they can cost upwards of $1500. I like to keep the cost on the low and prefer to be mobile. I typically have 4-5 points on my On X Map app pinned through "E scouting" previously so that if I do not find elk sign at the first point I just move on. Once I find elk sign and have found a suitable water source I setup camp and hunt for a few days. If I do not find elk I move on to the next point or may return to the trail head and drive to another pinned area.

Good quality light weight gear is essential for back pack style hunts and I find most guys do not have the gear needed. A good shelter is required to eliminate the "condensation" that Indian Summer refers to in his reply.

While I am no expert by any means I have somewhat refined my gear to suit my particular preferences.

Where do you reside? Are you looking to do an archery style hunt on public land? Are you an experienced elk hunter? Do you have the necessary gear required for a back pack hunt?
I am older but in good shape and am planning a DIY public land archery elk hunt in 2020. This will be a 7-8 day hunt and be a total back pack hunt.

Feel free to private message me.

Attachments

• 5 X 5.jpg
    5 X 5.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Don at elk wallow.jpg
    Don at elk wallow.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Don CO back pack hunt.jpg
    Don CO back pack hunt.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 24
  • Don filtering water.jpg