Seeking tips to become a better hunter

lukew

FNG
Hey all - Looking for recommendations on how I can up my game as a hunter. Currently I have a 12ga and a 22. I've been hunting small game with VERY limited success for about 3 years (Northern California, near Sacramento). My goal has been to become more accustomed to the practice of hunting before graduating to larger game.

My usual approach is to wake up early and head into the mountains (or any public land), arriving at dawn and usually heading out (skunked) by 12pm. In my travels I haven't seen many animals, including big game, so I'm wondering whether it's worth investing in a larger-caliber rifle just yet.

I'm quiet. I move slowly. I take time to look for sign and listen. But it's like I'm wearing animal repellant!

Am I just not spending enough time in the woods? Any other advice?

Side note: I always hunt solo (I'm an adult onset hunter and none of my friends are into it.) I probably need a mentor, or at least another novice buddy to bumble our way through it together.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
What is your target species of game? Are we talking upland birds, waterfowl, squirrels, coyotes...???

First I would say don’t hesitate to get into hunting larger game. Second, perhaps the areas you are hunting don’t hold the type of game your are pursuing...

OP
L

lukew

FNG
I've been hunting squirrels and rabbits, but have only seen squirrels. I would love to hunt quail, but again, can't find them. I feel like waterfowl would be fun but it seems to be a bit of a group activity (4 guys in a blind) and I haven't found a group to roll with just yet.

You may be right... I don't vary my hunting location very often... I have a few spots in some mountains that I keep going back to... maybe I should try a completely new area.

Sounds like you are doing the right things in the field. It sounds like you might just be looking in the wrong places. Try contacting the local game warden or biologist. They can usually give good advice on overall numbers of game. That can help get you into areas that have healthy numbers which makes them easier to find.

Wapiti1

WKR
IdahoElk nailed it. You have to hunt where the prey is. Sounds really simple, but isn't always. Habitat, food, water, and is the population even good in that area.

Talk to the biologists for the areas you hunt or want to hunt. Then it's about putting in the time, and that is a year round deal. Get out there in the off season and learn more about the country. Hike around, and enjoy nature while gaining knowledge.

Jeremy

Grizzly Island used to have cottontail hunts. Check with F&G as that is not far from SAC. They probably have them on the other Sac Valley refuges as well (but it is seasonal not year round like Jackrabbits).

Michael54

WKR
Rabbits tend to hang out in the thick stuff on the edge of open fields. If you don't have dogs they are probably just moving away before you see them or sitting tight (still) so you don't notice them. Don't try to look for a whole rabbit. Look for an out of place shape (ear) or the eyes. I usually spot the eyes first when a rabbit is sitting tight. If its thick and nasty to walk through look for rabbits. Dont plan on seeing them in open woods.

Deadfall

WKR
Move around see the sites. Enjoy the day. Go be an explorer. Don't matter the species, practice stalking. Keep wind in face. Stalk pets. Watch how domestic animals move.
Don't think like a human.
If you were an animal whose daily activities involved survival where would you be.

Pretend you are a deer and its hot. Wht would your goal be.

Pretend you are what you are after.

Most importantly just go be.

tdot

WKR
Serious question. Is there any game near Sacramento? I personally find the game near any city/large town to be considerably more skittish or even borderline nocturnal vs game that is further away and not constantly harassed by hunters, hikers, dogs, etc.

Roughout

FNG
Stay after it op! If you can hunt deer with slug via 12 gauge, get after it! You’ll learn about all game in pursuit of another. Or the alternative, go into areas without a weapon and locate and observe game of all sizes. You’ll learn something every trip to the woods, have fun and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive farther. Start going on weekend trips to where game is. Make some contacts and go hunt there places, farms, dairies all have pigeons, starlings etc to shoot.

OP
L

lukew

FNG
Thanks so much to everyone for this thoughtful advice. Some really good tips in here. I'll definitely start varying my location, chase down a local biologist and start thinking more carefully about my targeted species and their habitats.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I'm a fellow CA hunter and along with what everyone else has said, here's a few thoughts.

1) Process of elimination. For every good place you find you'll first find a bunch that aren't any good. You WILL find some great hunting spots, and you'll protect them like your pin number!

2) You can find quail driving around forest service roads that have brush along the edges. I see them fairly often driving into or out of deer hunting spots around 4000-6000' elevation. Once you find them the hard part is done!

3) If you're looking for big game, try walking less during the day. Hike in in the dark to a vantage point you can see some open areas and sit still and glass all morning. Don't see anything? Try a different spot the next time. Get off the trails if you can. Vary the elevation. Start at 9000' and work down. Look for aspen trees. Look for willow bushes on the slopes. Look for rockslides and at the base of cliffs. Places too rugged or steep for most guys to want to go to.

Even experienced hunters don't get something every year. If it was easy it wouldn't be any fun!

PA Hunter

WKR
If you have any gun ranges or local gun clubs become a member and start going to meetings you may meet some friends and then you are open to a wealth of information about hunting your immediate surroundings.
There is a learning curve for everything , just keep at it .

Loco4dux

WKR
Not sure about gun clubs but el dorado bowmen would be a good place to go meet hunters. And waterfowl does not need to be a group activity at all. The less people the better for me, I prefer to hunt ducks alone a lot of the time. Being from Sacramento, you are close to a lot of productive public land waterfowl hunting and it’s not rocket science, in fact I think it’s a great place to start for an adult onset hunter. PM me if you want some more info about getting into hunting ducks I can point you in the right direction.

DavePwns

WKR
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned much, but since your are in califonia, save your pennies and hire a guide for a 3 day pig hunt this winter. The meat tastes great and it would be an incredible learning experience learning how to hunt from someone who's livelyhood litterally depends on hunting success. When I'm trying to learn to fish a new river or lake I hire a fishing guide not to just catch fish, but to learn and ask questions from a professional with a ton of experience.

Check out the write up by @Jim Carr (I think) on hunting. It’s a mule deer article but useful across the board. Ignore the blowhards too, dime a dozen here.